Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't think it's the gun- if all you tried through it was the federal 40 grain, it's probably the ammo. Try something else.
Third message up I stated I ran cci Minimag through it and it started locking the slide back with rounds still in the chamber with that ammo only.

Failure to fires with the Federal and locking the slide back with cci minimag even after cleaning and oil, so yes I think something is going on with the gun.

·
Registered
636 Posts
crankymotorsports said:
... like I said only ammo I have that it doesn't like is the Winchester Super x bulk packs.
I concur that the Winchester 222/333/555 is the most obnoxious ammo out there. That's exactly why I like to keep some on hand. If you can get your gun to run that junk reliably - it'll run anything. Shaping the firing pin helps with ignition, and reducing friction in the action helps with cycling. My mark pistols eat it up (but they didn't used to).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got it back today. Sheet says they replaced the barrel, slide stop, ejector and spring. Going to try to go test it out Friday.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Got it back today. Sheet says they replaced the barrel, slide stop, ejector and spring. Going to try to go test it out Friday.
Show us a pic of the breech face, I'm wondering if they updated the slide to include the recessed area, to hold down the back of the round as it's being extracted so it won't slip up and over the extractor....like every other .22LR pistol on the planet has...

·
Registered
443 Posts
...and can you manually eject rounds from the chamber? Or does it still slip over the rim of the round and leave it halfway out?

·
Registered
443 Posts
View attachment 153452

Does this answer your question? Ha
Well, now we know exactly why Ruger says to 'drop the mag' to clear a misfire or jam....so it can 'eject' down through the magwell...what a bunch of crap...obviously they knew about this issue before they released the gun, and the 'drop the mag' procedure is their sloppy way of addressing the issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You'd think there would be more pressure on the unfired round not letting it eject when the gun is held upside down but it actually does its job And the rounds eject out just fine And to the side.

It's funny in their documentation they suggest it's a great conceal and carry option.

So if you're in a situation where you need to defend yourself and a round doesn't fire don you tell your attacker "hold on quick I have to drop the mag to eject, re insert the mag and rack the slide"?

And just like that I'm stuck with a gun I no longer want for this reason. As in at the range it becomes annoying that you may have to drop the mag multiple times to eject a jam or unfired round. I thought I did enough research but apparently not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
An update for anyone who cares or comes across this researching buying this gun. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm sorry I bought this thing. I got it back from repair, they replaced the barrel, slide stop and spring, ejector and spring.

Brought it to the range and the failure to fires decreased but still had 4 or 5. Also the slide again locked back twice with rounds still in the mag. Quill be calling and sending it back again.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just got my replacement LCP .22, which I had to pay the FFL transfer on, and it won’t manually eject unfired rounds. I was hopeful because some said theirs did, but I’m disappointed as well. I haven’t shot the new one yet and may not as it’s just an annoyance at this point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm just going to keep sending mine back. Customer service told me per the manual release the mag and clear the jam/unfired round that way. No thanks. I'll just keep sending it back.

Why didn't you just have them email you the FedEx label? Free shipping.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Why didn't you just have them email you the FedEx label? Free shipping.
Last time I sent the gun back they told me there was an unrepairable issue with the FCU that has the serial number and they needed to issue me a replacement gun with a new serial number so it had to go through an FFL transfer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
At some point they will offer to replace you pistol versus the back and forth for repair. They offered me a new LCPII .22 or some other pistol. I opted to get mine back as during normal operation it has been flawless. I have had reasonable success with flipping the gun upside down before attempting an extraction which frankly has been a rare occasion.

Their response to me was similar Estpaul in that t hey pointed me to the manual. My retort was that doesn’t work real well under stress And if that’s their stance they should quit marketing it as a CCW option.

I hope at some point that enough folks have complained that they change their attitude and admit it is a design flaw with the pistol and issue a recall of some type. In the meantime I‘ll just keep plinking along.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yeah that's exactly what I'm going to point them to next time they tell me to eject the magazine. Going to point them to their advertising it as a CCW and the problem with flipping it upside down or ejecting the mag under stress.

I honestly think if instead of milling out that channel on the breach face where the firing pin is, they just milled out a round indent that the casing rim could sear in, that world fix it. I think the pressure and angled round from the magazine pressing on it makes the unfired round start extracting at an angle and the extractor slips off the casing lip.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Keep in mind when you say "design flaw" that this gun was NOT designed around the .22LR. It was designed around the .380ACP and works great with that round. Could they have completely designed the gun around the new caliber? Sure, they did that many years ago. It is called the SR22, a completely different model.

I understand the frustration of this model not acting the way you want it to. My question to you is does it operate the way the manual says it should? If the manual says to release the mag to eject a live round, and you have to release the mag to eject a live round, it does. If it has some other problem that makes it not operate the way the manual says it should, it should be repaired.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've read complaints researching this platform about the 380 having the same extraction issues with unfired rounds and found a few videos demonstrating the problem, so I believe this gun does have some sort of design flaw or issue with the design. Whatever you feel like calling it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Whatever the case may be about it’s intended design there are certainly inconsistencies between guns as a few owners have claimed they can manually extract just fine if they pull the slide back quickly. Both of mine would not extract with a magazine inserted no matter how quickly I yanked the slide back. It seems that early models of this gun had an extractor with no bevel at the bottom, but recent ones do. I wonder if the excessive bevel at the bottom of the extractor is contributing to this manual extraction issue.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't have this issue, and mines a recent model.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts