Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
The sloppy hold by the extractor is a problem of it's own. And I do think tweaking the mag's rear feed lips could improve the feed angle. But I really think the biggest problem with extraction is probably the front of the breech block:

The (yellow) area below a bore aligned shell is only about 0.030" on my mark pistol bolts. It looks like around 0.100" on the LCPII block. It makes sense to me that the top round would want to rotate up steeply as the extracting rim nears the ejector.

The front of the block really only needs to be deep enough to reliably pick up the top of the feeding round - like this:

Now, the rear of that block may actually need to be that deep in order to cock the hammer. So there's no way I'd mill it all the way to the back. There should be an appropriate distance to go, and then an angle to blend the step. Once it's done right, there should be no need to drop the mag. JMO.

We completely agree there's a problem (or two). I just think magazines are usually designed better than the guns they are intended to go in.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Follow up to my post just above during dinner. I'm reading my second article now on the history of .22. Fascinating.

Here's a quote from an in-depth article by Chuck Hawks whom I trust. (I lived in his town for a while, but never met him.) The underlining is mine.
Sorry Kathadin, my point #3 was not so much based on historical elements as the fact that it is a rimmed cartridge, though the history you provided here seems to back up the assertion. Thanks for including it. it was a good read.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I’ve had/have a few fixed barrel .22 pistols namely a Walther P22, and a Walther PPK/S in .22. Both of these are fun shooters, very accurate, but not without the own problems. Not sure a fixed barrel would solve the issue with extraction, but it would perhaps eliminate one variable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
But it doesn't work as expected. With the mag removed, the round STILL does not eject out the side like it should, it barely makes it out of the chamber and then weakly drops down through the magwell.

This thing's a joke. Ruger needs to issue a recall. 'Confidence Achieved'....my ass.
my experience with the gun has been not good. After constant fails, i called Ruger and was sent a return authorization. About 10 days later gun returned from Ruger with new barrel. Same problems exist. This is a true love/hate relationship with the L:CP. Based upon my experience and countless others, shame on you Ruger.

·
Registered
242 Posts
"The top is on the barrel face"?? You mean this overhang/barrel hood? -

View attachment 153463

As the round is extracted, the rim is pulled back and away from that, there is nothing left to prevent the rim from sliding up the breech face and over the extractor, as the extracted round comes back and is pushed upwards from the nose of the next round below it in the mag.

"I think the extractor is being pulled forward far enough for the extracting, unfired rim to leave the recess and be dropped. That's my guess."

Except the round isn't 'leaving any recess' (there is none on the breech face) and it isn't 'dropping', it's being pushed UP from below as it's pulled back and across the round below it.
The round can't slide up on the breach face because it would create a bind due to the tight fit on the chamber. When the barrel starts to tilt the round is still part ways in chamber if there is still.a bullets in the case. They would cause the face of the round to slide downwards on the breach face. It might just be me but mine ejects every time I try to eject an unfired round. Not quite sure what I am doing right that everyone else is doing wrong. I pull the slide back briskly and with the muzzle up slightly. It doesn't fly out of the gun like a fired round does but it does come out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The round can't slide up on the breach face because it would create a bind due to the tight fit on the chamber. When the barrel starts to tilt the round is still part ways in chamber if there is still.a bullets in the case. They would cause the face of the round to slide downwards on the breach face. It might just be me but mine ejects every time I try to eject an unfired round. Not quite sure what I am doing right that everyone else is doing wrong. I pull the slide back briskly and with the muzzle up slightly. It doesn't fly out of the gun like a fired round does but it does come out.
Junk gun with a piss poor design. Won't even consider another one until Ruger re-designs it correctly.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Not quite sure what I am doing right that everyone else is doing wrong. I pull the slide back briskly and with the muzzle up slightly. It doesn't fly out of the gun like a fired round does but it does come out.
I wouldn’t assume it’s something you’re doing. You probably just got lucky on a gun with a fitment of parts that make it possible. Mine would do it if I held the gun upside down, but that didn’t seem practical or correct to me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well just for your info, I don't remember any pocket sized gun down through history that wasn't hit or miss.
Then you probably never had a Kel-Tec P32 because every one I've had over the last decade has functioned flawlessly... oh, and they also eject out the side port when manually cycled, without any problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Notice he says it "doesn't come flying out" so that means it dribbles out the magwell, not the ejection port.
I said it doesn't fly out like an ejected fired case. That means it doesn't hit somewhere behind me. It does come out fast enough that it lands about a foot away. No it doesn't dribble out the magwell as you describe. Can't as I don't take mag out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Then you probably never had a Kel-Tec P32 because every one I've had over the last decade has functioned flawlessly... oh, and they also eject out the side port when manually cycled, without any problem.
Well I did have a keltec p32 it worked yes but it sprayed lead like a shot gun. Some didn't even hit target at 7 yds. Sold it because I couldn't even hit the side of a barn with it, even if I threw it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well I did have a keltec p32 it worked yes but it sprayed lead like a shot gun. Some didn't even hit target at 7 yds. Sold it because I couldn't even hit the side of a barn with it, even if I threw it.
Well that's on you not the gun because I can put four magazines into a 50 cent piece area at 20 feet all day long with my P32.... Anyway you and I have already had the go-round on the Lcp II .22 and it's still a piece of poorly-designed junk.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well that's on you not the gun because I can put four magazines into a 50 cent piece area at 20 feet all day long with my P32.... Anyway you and I have already had the go-round on the Lcp II .22 and it's still a piece of poorly-designed junk.
Maybe so but it now works for me every time so if yours doesn't it must be on you. And I doubt anyone can shoot that good with a sub compact semi-auto handgun. My cousin used to shoot competition with Pa State Police and he isn't that good even with his competition gun. My dad wasn't even that good with his 1911 and he was a MP in the Army during WW2.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Maybe so but it now works for me every time so if yours doesn't it must be on you. And I doubt anyone can shoot that good with a sub compact semi-auto handgun. My cousin used to shoot competition with Pa State Police and he isn't that good even with his competition gun. My dad wasn't even that good with his 1911 and he was a MP in the Army during WW2.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts