Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new CC, though hunted with rifles a long time. 3 questions.
Was about to write to Ruger and found this forum, so thought I would seek your wisdom first.

Got my new LCP Max, have fired 50 Sig Sauer 100 Gr Elite Performance FMJ and 10 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 102 Gr BJHP. They're what the gun store guy gave me.

1) Right out of the box in the store parking lot the Golden Saber HP wouldn't let the slide close when chambering the first round from a full mag.

The slide moves forward, picks up a round, and then stops about 5 mm from the front of the frame. If I fiddle with it and push on the slide I can get it to slide the rest of the way forward, but obviously this is not acceptable. The gun chambers additional rounds without a problem after firing the first round.
Haven't had the problem with the FMJ. But when I go back to the HP and try loading the gun, I have this problem. Same with 10 and 12 round mags.
You can see in the attached picture that the FMJ casing has a slope at the end, but the HP is basically squared off. This seems unlikely as a source of the problem as the slide sticks just at the point where the rectangular end section of the barrel begins to rise to chambered position. (But including the picture anyway since I observed the difference.) Most likely the HP tips are getting stuck on the feed ramp.
I have found posts that recommend polishing the feed ramp.
Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with Golden Saber HP in the LCP Max?
I see people have recommended other HPs for the Max like:
Hornady Critical Defense
Precision One XTP
Underwood Extreme Defense (the screwdriver tip)

2) I’ve also had the apparently common problem that with the slide closed (round in the chamber) I cannot fully insert the fully loaded 10-round magazine that came with the gun. I have two 12-round magazines and they work fine in this situation, so I assume the problem is with the 10 mag and might be solved by fiddling with the spring? I understand some are of the opinion you shouldn’t load the +1 lest the mags wear out sooner, but it seems a shame to give up the advertised 10+1.

3) I also need to buy target/practice ammo. The Sig Sauer was fine, but found a deal on 1000 rounds of PMC Bronze 90g FMJ. Has anyone used this?

About to buy a second Max for my wife now that she has tried it.

Liquid Drinkware Water Fluid Bottle

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Max was bad right out of the box. The barrel ( especially the feed ramp) slide and magazine all had to be replaced. This gun seems to prefer Winchester ammo over everything else. I sent my gun to Ruger on a Thursday and and got it back the following Thursday. You can get 10 rounds to load, but you really need to jam it in there. The slide will not close all the way unless you use the slingshot method and Ruger CS will say that right up front. So far, Sig is the only manf to figure out how to make a small pistol that holds. 10+ rounds. This is what my barrel looked like before firing the first round.
Finger Watch Household hardware Thumb Nail

·
Registered
874 Posts
My Max was bad right out of the box. The barrel ( especially the feed ramp) slide and magazine all had to be replaced. This gun seems to prefer Winchester ammo over everything else. I sent my gun to Ruger on a Thursday and and got it back the following Thursday. You can get 10 rounds to load, but you really need to jam it in there. The slide will not close all the way unless you use the slingshot method and Ruger CS will say that right up front. So far, Sig is the only manf to figure out how to make a small pistol that holds. 10+ rounds. This is what my barrel looked like before firing the first round.
View attachment 170156
What the heck is that in the chamber?! Is that metal or a sheet of carbon fowling?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
View attachment 170156
Horry chit!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm a new CC, though hunted with rifles a long time. 3 questions.
Was about to write to Ruger and found this forum, so thought I would seek your wisdom first.

Got my new LCP Max, have fired 50 Sig Sauer 100 Gr Elite Performance FMJ and 10 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 102 Gr BJHP. They're what the gun store guy gave me.

1) Right out of the box in the store parking lot the Golden Saber HP wouldn't let the slide close when chambering the first round from a full mag.

The slide moves forward, picks up a round, and then stops about 5 mm from the front of the frame. If I fiddle with it and push on the slide I can get it to slide the rest of the way forward, but obviously this is not acceptable. The gun chambers additional rounds without a problem after firing the first round.
Haven't had the problem with the FMJ. But when I go back to the HP and try loading the gun, I have this problem. Same with 10 and 12 round mags.
You can see in the attached picture that the FMJ casing has a slope at the end, but the HP is basically squared off. This seems unlikely as a source of the problem as the slide sticks just at the point where the rectangular end section of the barrel begins to rise to chambered position. (But including the picture anyway since I observed the difference.) Most likely the HP tips are getting stuck on the feed ramp.
I have found posts that recommend polishing the feed ramp.
Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with Golden Saber HP in the LCP Max?
I see people have recommended other HPs for the Max like:
Hornady Critical Defense
Precision One XTP
Underwood Extreme Defense (the screwdriver tip)

2) I’ve also had the apparently common problem that with the slide closed (round in the chamber) I cannot fully insert the fully loaded 10-round magazine that came with the gun. I have two 12-round magazines and they work fine in this situation, so I assume the problem is with the 10 mag and might be solved by fiddling with the spring? I understand some are of the opinion you shouldn’t load the +1 lest the mags wear out sooner, but it seems a shame to give up the advertised 10+1.

3) I also need to buy target/practice ammo. The Sig Sauer was fine, but found a deal on 1000 rounds of PMC Bronze 90g FMJ. Has anyone used this?

About to buy a second Max for my wife now that she has tried it.

View attachment 170144
It's usually recommended to field strip and clean/lube a new gun. They seem to either come in the box full of rust preventer or bone dry. Give it a proper cleaning and see if you still have feed issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's usually recommended to field strip and clean/lube a new gun. They seem to either come in the box full of rust preventer or bone dry. Give it a proper cleaning and see if you still have feed issues.
Mine was well oiled out of the box. When I got it back from Ruger, it looked like they gave it an oil bath.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I saw your post and that crazy picture.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
It probably just needs cleaning , lubricaion and then ... Breaking In .
Shoot 50 ... clean and lube ... Repeat this untill you have fired 300 rounds .
In the old days we fired 500 rounds to break them in and the last 250 had to cycle 100% if you were going to bet your life on it in a gunfight .
The Ruger Blackhawk in my avatar 100% reliable for the last 50 years ...always goes bang !
Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: Got my second LCP Max. Figured since I was going to get a second one for my wife anyway I would wait till I could compare the two.
The new LCP Max feeds HP ammo with no problem. The new 10-round mag can be inserted full against a closed slide without a problem. (A little tight, but no big deal.)
Comparing the two guns, I now notice that the slide on the "old" Max rattles if you shake the gun. Not so with the "new" Max.
So back to Ruger it goes.
Also got the 1000 rounds of PMC Bronze 90g FMJ. Works great through 70 rounds.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
874 Posts
UPDATE: Got my second LCP Max. Figured since I was going to get a second one for my wife anyway I would wait till I could compare the two.
The new LCP Max feeds HP ammo with no problem. The new 10-round mag can be inserted full against a closed slide without a problem. (A little tight, but no big deal.)
Comparing the two guns, I now notice that the slide on the "old" Max rattles if you shake the gun. Not so with the "new" Max.
So back to Ruger it goes.
Also got the 1000 rounds of PMC Bronze 90g FMJ. Works great through 70 rounds.
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Yeah, for a carry gun send it back until it is something you are willing to bet your wife’s life on, unless you don’t like her, then we should move the thread over to the Punchlines section. 😀

1 - 12 of 12 Posts