Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning - new to the forum and I have a couple of questions about an LCP that I purchased two days ago.

1) When trying to insert the mag, it goes in smoothly about half way and then seems to be obstructed by something...there is significant resistance and I have to very forcefully push the mag to get it past this point and to get it to fully seat. Is this normal for LCPs?

2) In order to get the mag to seat properly I have to slide it in all the way and then move it slightly forward (towards the trigger). In other words if I just slide the mag straight in (and don't do that slight forward push at the end) it will not click into place and will just slide back out. Is this normal for LCPs?

3) Last night I was trying to install a Hogue Handall Hybrid (#18100) on the LCP, but I could not get the hammer spring seat to come out. I was using a small Allen key that was just a little smaller in diameter than the hole on the back of the grip. I assume that I should feel some resistance when I insert the key in the hole, but instead the key goes all the way into the hole very easily and does not accomplish anything as far as being able to remove the hammer spring seat? Any thoughts on this?

The issues with the magazine have me concerned. This is the first Ruger pistol that I have owned (although I've had Ruger revolvers and rifles). So I have no experience/familiarity with Ruger pistols. I am comparing it with my Glock and S&W pistols, and the mag insertion and removal is just not as smooth or precise. I'm wondering if this is an actual issue with the LCP or if it is normal and just something I will need to get used to if I decide to carry the gun?

Thank you!

·
Banned
650 Posts
The magazine slides right in both out LCP pistols. We may have to wiggle the magazine to get past the magazine catch but we don't have to force the magazine into the magazine well. Once the magazine is inserted in the magazine well the catch pops into place with very little pressure.

You might want to take the gun back to the place of purchase to see if another magazine is easier to insert. Inserting the magazine on a LCP is very straight forward, but you maybe doing something wrong. If magazine release was not installed properly it would be easy to see and feel.

The Handal made for the LCP just slips right over the grip. There is no reason to remove the cap for the hammer spring. The Handal slips right over the cap.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
The Handal made for the LCP just slips right over the grip. There is no reason to remove the cap for the hammer spring. The Handal slips right over the cap.

That particular model of the Hogue grip does require removal of the hammer spring cap on the LCP for installation. The new grip has a cap built in.

Here are the directions.

http://www.hogueinc.com///data/categories/692/1768663555.pdf

OP, it seems that the little tab on the back of the cap is either missing or was already pushed in. The cap should just come out if that is the case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OP, it seems that the little tab on the back of the cap is either missing or was already pushed in. The cap should just come out if that is the case.
That's what I thought too...but the cap will not come out...I even tried pulling on it with pliers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The magazine slides right in both out LCP pistols. We may have to wiggle the magazine to get past the magazine catch but we don't have to force the magazine into the magazine well. Once the magazine is inserted in the magazine well the catch pops into place with very little pressure.

You might want to take the gun back to the place of purchase to see if another magazine is easier to insert. Inserting the magazine on a LCP is very straight forward, but you maybe doing something wrong. If magazine release was not installed properly it would be easy to see and feel.

I bought an extra mag for it when I purchased the gun. It does the same thing. I guess the mags are catching on the mag release when I insert them because if I hold the mag release button down while inserting the mag it does go in smoothly. But my point is that I shouldn't have to hold the mag release button down when INSERTING a mag or wiggle it around to get it to seat properly. Is it normal to have to do these things on an LCP just to insert a mag, or do I have a faulty gun?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is the mag problem occurring with a loaded mag? My son just purchased an LCP and he had that problem with an empty mag. Loaded mags worked fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the mag problem occurring with a loaded mag? My son just purchased an LCP and he had that problem with an empty mag. Loaded mags worked fine.
The problem with the mag getting "stuck" (or caught on the mag release) halfway in is the same whether I'm trying to insert a loaded or an unloaded mag. The problem with having to wiggle the mag to get it to fully seat is even worse with a loaded mag.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I am just guessing without looking at the gun. But it does sound like the mag release is not installed properly. Go to the range a couple times if the magazine release does not settle in call Ruger for a return label. I would not put the grip on the gun until you have the issue with the mag release settled. The magazines are very easy to insert on both our LCP's. I may have to wiggle the magazine very little to make the catch latch on to the magazine, but it is not a struggle. When I hit the magazine release the magazine falls right out. If I don't catch the magazine it will drop right out on the ground.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Actually, it's normal getting past the mag release on a brand new LCP. Instead, here's what I'd like you to try and what I think you may be doing wrong . I assume you're using the stock finger extended mag that came with the gun. The mag release will seem to get in the way if when you insert it you push on the front longer part of the finger extension. Don't... push from the "rear" part of the finger extension of the mag bottom and with a little nudge it should go right in. You still will feel the mag release pressure against it, but it will then slip easier and easier with use. Hope this helps and welcome...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Install mag until resistance is felt. Then use the palm of your hand to "slap" the base pad. Magazine will then go in completely and latch. It will not latch, or insert easy if you just use finger pressure to push it in.
I hve owned 3 of these and all have been the same. Do not "baby" the mag insertion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, it's normal getting past the mag release on a brand new LCP. Instead, here's what I'd like you to try and what I think you may be doing wrong . I assume you're using the stock finger extended mag that came with the gun. The mag release will seem to get in the way if when you insert it you push on the front longer part of the finger extension. Don't... push from the "rear" part of the finger extension of the mag bottom and with a little nudge it should go right in. You still will feel the mag release pressure against it, but it will then slip easier and easier with use. Hope this helps and welcome...
Thank you for the suggestion...it does seem to help a little, but not much. Are you saying that the mag release getting in the way is normal behavior for a new LCP and that it will improve over time the more I use it?

Any thoughts on issues #2 and #3 in my original post? Issue #2 is even more of a concern than #1...and it is even worse with a fully loaded mag. With a fully loaded mag I have to very intentionally push the mag up and then forward to get it to seat properly (same issue with an unloaded mag but it's worse with a loaded one). Is this normal for an LCP? I guess I could get accustomed to this with practice, but I'm used to just being able to pop a mag in my other pistols without even really thinking about it...they slide in easily and naturally with no resistance and no having to wiggle the mag to get it to seat properly. I'm concerned that in the heat of the moment...and I pray that moment never comes, but if it does...that I might not remember to press on the rear and not the front of the mag, push past the resistance of the mag release, and then up and forward to fully seat the mag...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Install mag until resistance is felt. Then use the palm of your hand to "slap" the base pad. Magazine will then go in completely and latch. It will not latch, or insert easy if you just use finger pressure to push it in.
I hve owned 3 of these and all have been the same. Do not "baby" the mag insertion.
This works most of the time and definitely works better than just using finger pressure. But even doing this...the mag will occasionally release itself as soon as I put pressure on it. In other words, I "slap" the mag in, and it seems to be seated fully/properly, but then when I grip the pistol as if to fire it (which puts finger pressure on the front of the mag extension), the mag slips out (i.e. it was never really seated). Doesn't really inspire confidence in this gun as a reliable carry piece. And it seems to me like a design flaw if one has to "slap" the mag to get it to seat properly. I've put an email into Ruger customer service. I'm hoping to be able to get to the bottom of this and get it resolved. I love the way this gun disappears in my front pocket, but I'm not crazy about the function so far. And from what I am hearing this is the way the gun is designed to work and not a malfunctioning gun...so I assume Ruger CS will probably tell me the same thing.

·
Banned
83 Posts
+1 to what Clyde said, but I'd also add shoot 50 rounds as well and let it loosen up a bit. It will get better with use. As I said before, don't push with your finger the front of the extended finger rest as when you do that you are not putting the force centered in the mag and forcing the mag to mis-align going in. Using your palm of your left hand (assuming your right handed) and putting your palm's pressure behind the front rest extender will push the mag in more centered and you will feel a bit of resistance when you reach the mag release which is normal, but keep pushing and practice going faster, it won't hurt it and will get better as the gun gets fired more and more. So give the gun a chance... Fire it and practice.

Also, put your thumb when shooting more over the Ruger logo on the grip and not on top of the mag release button. Don't forget it's not a 1911, it's just a very small pocket gun and not a design flaw that needs practicing with, just like any new various pistols of various sizes, grips, frames, etc. They are all different in that regard...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
+1 to what Clyde said, but I'd also add shoot 50 rounds as well and let it loosen up a bit. It will get better with use. As I said before, don't push with your finger the front of the extended finger rest as when you do that you are not putting the force centered in the mag and forcing the mag to mis-align going in. Using your palm of your left hand (assuming your right handed) and putting your palm's pressure behind the front rest extender will push the mag in more centered and you will feel a bit of resistance when you reach the mag release which is normal, but keep pushing and practice going fasaster, it won't hurt it and will get better as the gun gets fired more and more. So give the gun a chance... Fire it and practice.

Also, put your thumb when shooting more over the Ruger logo on the grip and not on top of the mag release button. Don't forget it's not a 1911, it's just a very small pocket gun and not a design flaw that needs practicing with, just like any new various pistols of various sizes, grips, frames, etc. They are all different in that regard...
OK...thank you for all the advice on the mag "issues" (which may not be issues after all)...I will reserve final judgement until after I've had a chance to get out and shoot/practice. Hopefully it will get better as the gun gets broken in and as I get used to it. Any thoughts on the third issue I asked about?

·
Banned
83 Posts
Sorry on the third, I don't or wouldn't put them on my LCP. Just personal preference, nothing against them and ok for for range shooting mostly, but not for my pockets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry on the third, I don't or wouldn't put them on my LCP. Just personal preference, nothing against them and ok for for range shooting mostly, but not for my pockets.
Why are you opposed to them for pocket carry? I will use the LCP exclusively for pocket carry...so just curious why you don't like them.

·
Banned
650 Posts
What Clyde and Rugersonly is good advice. The mag release is polymer. If it installed properly it will "fit" itself with use. After 50 rounds or so the magazines should pop right in place. The LCP is reliable top quality pistol. We have run over 1,000 rounds of ammo through our LCP's with very few problems. They jammed a few times on GECO ammo. Geco is so inconsistent you can hear the difference from round to round.

Once you get this issue with the mag release squared away you will have a lot of fun with your LCP. Order a pack of B-34 targets (half size) It will not be long you will be peppering the B-34 targets at distances people say the LCP is not capable. We shoot the B-34 targets at 25 yards. We order our targets from Midwayusa.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts