Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought, went to range. At 7 yards, could not understand why no holes in the 12" round target???? Got closer to within 10 feet (stop laughing :D). There at 10 feet away, I found that if I aimed at the 12 o'clock edge of the target, the rounds would hit the 6 o'clock edge. 85 rounds later, same results. Anyone ever hear of such an error from a new gun????? I'm not a new shooter and when I tried with my glock 26 and smith 340PD I got good center groups at 21 feet. I called Ruger CS, they said break it in with 200-300 rounds, if still LOW, send it in. Any help appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What weight bullets are you shooting? It's been my experience that with pistols and revolvers, heavier bullets tend to impact higher on the target than lighter bullet weights from recoil and length of time inside barrel. Heavier bullets spend miliseconds longer inside the barrel than do lighter bullets. Due to recoil, the barrel will be pointing slightly higher when the heavier bullet exits the bore. Therefore, they will print higher on the target at pistol ranges. Try it before you decide to go through the hassle of returning the gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi PaddyDD5, thanks for the quick reply. I'm shooting 95g ball and 90g hollows, various brands. As I posted, the problem is not shooting high which I'd expect from recoil. etc but, it shoots LOW, EXCESSIVELY LOW. 12" LOW at only 10 feet from the target.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi PaddyDD5, thanks for the quick reply. I'm shooting 95g ball and 90g hollows, various brands. As I posted, the problem is not shooting high which I'd expect from recoil. etc but, it shoots LOW, EXCESSIVELY LOW. 12" LOW at only 10 feet from the target.
Understood. This is why I suggested trying a heavier bullet to get it to print higher on the target. If that doesn't help it is possible that the front sight is too high for the way you are shooting the gun. Since I doubt that is the case as those sights are regulated for the gun I suggest you do a bunch of dry firing and let someone observe you from the side and the rear to see if you are pulling the pistol down when pulling the trigger. Not saying you're shooting it wrong, just suggesting something to try before you lose it for a length of time while the factory evaluates it. When I shoot my P89 in DA the trigger is so long and heavy I tend to pull down and to the right (lefty) if I use too much of my trigger finger.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine shoots about 8" low at 7 yards if I try to use the sights. If I just point shoot I'm right on. These take a different hold than the Glocks I own. My Glocks take a 6 o'clock hold and my LCP take a direct center hold where I have to cover my target with the sights.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have some one else shoot it and see what it does. The gun has a long trigger pull and you may not realize it but the last bit of trigger pull can pull the muzzle down enough to make it shoot low. Make sure that you are not jerking the trigger as well. You will be surprised how many people do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all your inputs, I appreciate it and welcome any more you might think of. This is my first Ruger and I guess I'll have to honeymoon it some more down at the range.
btw, I did check my break with a pen light magnetically attached to the slide and that spot on the wall don't move during the pull or the break. I do this often with all my semi autos. Good way to kill time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts