Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a brand new LCP Friday about 11am. Come 2pm Im leaving the pistol range after experiencing 4 failures to eject in about 60 rounds of ammo. Get home and called Ruger customer support and explained the situation. They emailed me an RMA# and shipping label. I boxed it up and ran it to the FedEx store about 5pm.

Cost $400 (with laser) in my possession about 6 hours. Thats about $65/hours for the experience. Not exactly the Friday I hoped it would be.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They usually clean up and shoot far better after 200 rounds. Problems with the first 50or so are typical. It helps too to oil them before the first shooting as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats kind if what I expected customer service to say when I called, but they didn’t waste a second telling me to send it back. I kind of thought they would ask about ammo and such but they didn’t.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,583 Posts
If you didn't clean and lube the gun before shooting it's on you. How many types of ammo did you try? Please tell us that you weren't using cheap steel cased import loads. Did a shooter experienced with pocket pistols test it. The tiny pistols require a very firm grip. Don't be surprised if Ruger finds no issues. If there is a problem, they will fix it. Good luck with your pistol. Hopefully you will have it back quickly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Kinda think you were a little quick to send it back. These thI Gs work best with good ammo and good firm grip. Was this a LCP, LCP2, or LCP II? I’ve had a LCP2 and now a LCP II in 380 (and .22), using CCI ammo and have been quite pleased. Hope they return it quickly. They usually take only a day or so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was using sig saurer ammo - 100 grain FMJ brass case. I did not try any other ammo. I asked the the customer service rep if their was a break-in period or anything else I should be doing. He said "No these guns are designed to run right out of the box".

I am more of a wheelgun guy. I've owned other autos in the past but always came back to revolvers. The LCP is the only exception in my arsenal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Follow the link to a good video on cleaning and lubing the LCP2.

Also, since you are new to shooting do not be discouraged bynthe initial use of the LCP2. Small guns a a bit snapper than larger ones. There is more felt recoil. It takes time to develop a good grip on a small gun. Accuracy is affected by grip and recoil. Just stick with it, and do not rush it. It will come.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I don't buy the "no break in required." There are some rough edges on the LCP II that require smoothing, such as the mags wanting to get hung up on the mag release, and the slide not wanting to return to battery with an empty mag, even while holding the slide release down.

My LCP II had several FTEs during the first few hundred rounds, but since then, it's gone 900 rounds without a failure.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Bought a brand new LCP Friday about 11am. Come 2pm Im leaving the pistol range after experiencing 4 failures to eject in about 60 rounds of ammo. Get home and called Ruger customer support and explained the situation. They emailed me an RMA# and shipping label. I boxed it up and ran it to the FedEx store about 5pm.

Cost $400 (with laser) in my possession about 6 hours. Thats about $65/hours for the experience. Not exactly the Friday I hoped it would be.
And yet you've know for a fairly long time that many suggest a break in period. Your post from 2010:

I just read an intresting review of the (9) currently offered .380 auto's in the latest edition of NRA's American Rifleman. All of them (including the LCP) experienced some form of malfunction except the one that cost over $1000. The author of the article did explain that some of the manufactures recommend a break-in period before the little autos become carry dependable. Just another factor to consider.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My LCP II won't feed Hornady XTP reliably. I tried other brands and it works fine. When a semi-automatic malfunctions I look to the ammunition and magazines first, therein usually lies the problem. I don't really think I trust HP's to open up out of a short barreled gun. The LCP II is a back up, not a primary. I load it with FMJ when carrying it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My LCP II won't feed Hornady XTP reliably. I tried other brands and it works fine. When a semi-automatic malfunctions I look to the ammunition and magazines first, therein usually lies the problem. I don't really think I trust HP's to open up out of a short barreled gun. The LCP II is a back up, not a primary. I load it with FMJ when carrying it.
An extensive test of 380 out of a 3” barrel using FBI specs was made over many months. The bottom line was that most JHP ammo was inconsistent from not opening to opening with only two rounds yielding 100% opening. They were HDT and Precision One With the latter being acclaimed for better penetration. However a few months after that conclusion the tester issued an update after testing Lehigh Extreme Penetrator ammo. It achieved the best penetration of any ammo tested and created the biggest wound channels In organic Gel with and without denim. I was amazes was amazed at the results. There are other tests on YT that confirm this finding.

I used to load my LCPII with HST. I never had a failure feed. I tested the reliability of the Lehigh XP at the range. No issues. Then I bought more to get the feel of it down. in two range sessions I put 100 rounds through the LCP II. Not a single failure to feed. It is now my EDC round, and the LCP II is now my EDC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry that I forgot to post the links to the YT video mentioned in my post above. Here it is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got my LCP back from Ruger today. The attached note said they replaced the slide and barrel. We will see if its better - fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,579 Posts
Got my LCP back from Ruger today. The attached note said they replaced the slide and barrel. We will see if its better - fingers crossed.
I wish you some luck on this one. Like others have stated clean/lube and take some good ammo out with it for test session. Just went over 880 rounds with mine. All five mags and it are plugging right along so far. Update us on your findings. I am interested on what you come up with. Good shooting and be safe. Hope it goes well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts