Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fired first six rounds..all seemed ok til ejection..star wouldn't easily eject rounds..got home and noticed fired cases would only go into some cylinder holes..new unfired cases no problem..further checked fired cases and some have splits in them..ammo federal 32 magnum..theses split cases go into my 327 101 easily..any suggestions?

·
Registered
805 Posts
With brass splits the first place to look for problems is the brass. Try other brands before calling Ruger. Sometimes the annealing process gets out of spec and the brass is to hard. I had a batch of WW 270WSM that 30% split necks on the first loading. Close to 50% on the second. Clearly problem brass as it does not happen with any others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may be too late to try different brass as 2 opposing cylinders won't take spent cases and the other 4 do..the split ones will go in 4 holes and none of the 6 will go in 2 holes..so all 6 are not equal..will call ruger and see what they advise..if it is not the brass there could be some risks involved..it's bad when defensive gun becomes the offense..

·
Registered
805 Posts
Putting fired brass back in the chambers really does not tell you much. Each chamber is a little different and if the brass does not go into the same chamber it was fired in it might not fit. As long as new ammo goes in and a different brand does not split it is OK.

Try some other ammo and forget the fired cases so long as those don't split.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've also had trouble with Federal brass and try to use only Starline. In the 32 H&R the Federal brass would only last approx 3 reloadings before splitting. Also have had problems with American Eagle. I have 3 327 Federal revolvers and haven't had one problem with my reloads. I'd also suspect the brass and also like what was said earlier, inserting the spent brass back in the cylinder isn't the way to go, if the new brass will go in without any problems I'd say you're good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well an update..davidson (great company)..sent me new gun..shot 6 more 32 mags by federal..one split..darn..tried 327..no splits...tried original ammo in my sp101..one split..guess bad box of ammo at this point..PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE TRIED THIS IN BEGINNING,BUT dealer felt concerned and got me new gun..davidson is top notch in my book..last month got a thompson center from them in 22 250..one round busted barrel lug and gun blew open..couldn't belive it was cast..65,000 psi and a cast piece of old beer can keeping it locked..again davidson came through as I was through with t/c..so got a 22 250 savage instead..sent me new gun before they even got old one back..no I don't work for them !!..

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Sounds like a bad lot of ammo. I have gone to Starline for both 32 H&R and 327 Fed. My old Federal brass is consigned to 231 plinker loads. What did the primers look like on the split cases? Were they cratered, flattened, or mushroomed? I believe American eagle and federal are one in the same. Any splits on other brands?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I have one of each..start at beginning of thread for full story..I only used the sp to see if it would split them also..primer strikes looked normal..even ruger advised to fire 327 in first gun to see what would happen..should have tried it and seen for myself,but dealer suggested otherwise..everyone's afraid of liabilities nowadays..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts