Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I was able to take out the new 22/45 Lite to the range. I was very excited about it. I picked up a 500 round box of American Eagle 40gr at my LGS. Out of around 300 rounds I had 4 FTE and around 15 Failure To Fire. Then about 200 rounds in the front sight came loose. I had to find a small flat head at the range to tighten it down. 50 rounds later, it came loose again.

Has anyone had trouble with your LITE? Are these issues common as the gun is breaking in? Its my first .22LR. I own a Glock, CZ and M&P. I'm not new to shooting.

In general is AE bad ammo for this particular gun? I'm thinking of putting some locktite on the front sight screw to hold it in place.

Any advice for this new LITE owner?

Thanks

·
Banned
56 Posts
Clean the sig good with alcohol and put a drop of Blue Locktite thread lock on the sight. It will hold it in place but will allow it to be removed if necessary. The sight loosening is a common problem. As far as the FTEs and FTFs it may need to be shot more as part of the breakin. You may try cleaning and re-oiling it or try different ammo. Some guns are just finicky especially when brand new.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I've heard that they like the good stuff, like Federal or CCI Mini Mags, but I don't own one. Just spreading rumors! :D

Seriously, though. They do seem to require a fairly potent round.

·
Super Moderator
16,254 Posts
Tonight I was able to take out the new 22/45 Lite to the range. I was very excited about it. I picked up a 500 round box of American Eagle 40gr at my LGS. Out of around 300 rounds I had 4 FTE and around 15 Failure To Fire. Then about 200 rounds in the front sight came loose. I had to find a small flat head at the range to tighten it down. 50 rounds later, it came loose again.

Has anyone had trouble with your LITE? Are these issues common as the gun is breaking in? Its my first .22LR. I own a Glock, CZ and M&P. I'm not new to shooting.

In general is AE bad ammo for this particular gun? I'm thinking of putting some locktite on the front sight screw to hold it in place.

stevem8 ... First of all welcome to the forum and congrats on your new 22/45. Secondly, in answer to your questions:
1. The locktite (recommend blue) should resolve the front sight issue.
2. While part of the issue certainly could be a break-in related (I'm assuming here that you field stripped the pistol before taking it to the range), many .22s can be a bit ammo sensitive so trying a different ammo would certainly be prudent.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
While I don't own the 22/45 I have a buddy that has one and I have shot it many times. I don't recall it being ammo sensitive but you might try a different brand and see what happens.

I do own the SR22 and I noticed the first time that I took it to the range I had some FTE so I took it home and gave it a good cleaning. After that I have had no issues and my last range trip I put 500 rounds of Winchester (White Box) through it. It's the same ammo that I used originally.

My thought is that the factory lube was a little overdone for shipping and after I got it all cleaned up and properly lubed it was set to go. Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine is pretty new and I have had the same issue with the front sight and have to hit it with some Locktite. No issues with loads at this point. Field stripped it when it got here, though, and it was a bit of a challenge during reassembly. After a few times, things smoothed out.

Hope your issues get fixed. :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
My 22/45 Lite had quite a few failures to load or eject for the first 500 rounds.
It is getting better with use.
BTW, I'm shooting Federal bulk pack ammo.
A quick cleaning and lube every 2-300 rounds keeps it functioning.
I shoot outdoors and the malfunctions are worse as the temperatures drop.
After the gun warms up with firing a few rounds, it becomes reliable until I let it sit and cool off.
CCI Minimags work well all of the time but I would rather shoot Federals for half the cost.

I'm going to try a spritz of the Remington Teflon dry lube. It made a big difference with my Sig Mosquito.

Jack

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Good advice above.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have never known Rugers to be ammo sensitive. I have anew Mark III shot for the first time yesterday,it had 1 FTE and a couple FTFeed problems. I would take it that it is going to have a little break in period. My Mark II eats anything.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I have a "low mileage" 1976 Ruger Mark I that works well with CCI Mini-mags, but gives me a few problems with anything else.

These guns do like the higher velocity rounds to fully cycle the bolt. And they don't like dirty ammo. The CCI is one of the cleanest brands.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try a couple of boxed of CCI mini mags, then go back to the bulk stuff. New Marks tend to like good HV loads to get the kinks out.
I really think there is something to this. Some people get lucky and their .22 will shoot anything reliably out of the box. Some people need a break in period but I have yet to see a significant amount of people that claim their ruger doesn't shoot right after 500 round of good quality ammo through it. Mini Mags almost always seem to work.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
If you cleaned it after you got home, you might have noticed if it was particularly dirty. If it was I'd suspect ammo to be the culprit. With that said, like others indicated, break in periods can be tough to live with for the first 500 rnds. HVP works better IMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Thanks
Thats common for the front sight alittle blue loctite will solve that. I had to send mine in because of all the ftf's when I got it back it shot just fine something to do with the load chamber indicator but I have yet to see a lite thats as accurate as a regular 22/45 or mark iii. Mine is now just laying in the safe :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
+1 on the blue Loctite. If you were local I'd let you borrow some as it's not cheap. As for the ammo problems, I have only experienced problems with Remington ammo. Brand new Mark pistols of mine may have 1 or 2 stove pipes or FTF's in the first 500 rounds of Fed bulk. After that they're fairly reliable. I spray some CLP in the action followed by compressed air every 500 rounds or so and hit it with the bronze brush lightly. After 1000+ I might tear it apart if I have time and give it a thorough cleaning. My buddy just bought a new 22/45 and had a few stovepipes but nothing unusual. Try some CCI or Fed bulk next time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
lite break in

took about 500-600 rounds before it really started to run smooth and it got more accurate as i shot it more!! it loves cci MMags but runs perfect on federal 550 bulk also. blue locktite fixed my front sight AND my ruger rail!! first trip to the range shot them BOTH loose in about 50 rounds. now they dont loosen up. i added holo type red dot, what a nice fun to shoot combo!!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
+1 on the blue Loctite. If you were local I'd let you borrow some as it's not cheap. As for the ammo problems, I have only experienced problems with Remington ammo. Brand new Mark pistols of mine may have 1 or 2 stove pipes or FTF's in the first 500 rounds of Fed bulk. After that they're fairly reliable. I spray some CLP in the action followed by compressed air every 500 rounds or so and hit it with the bronze brush lightly. After 1000+ I might tear it apart if I have time and give it a thorough cleaning. My buddy just bought a new 22/45 and had a few stovepipes but nothing unusual. Try some CCI or Fed bulk next time.
It not cheap but it goes along way. Which size container or tube did you buy. the small aren't to bad. I have a 16oz bottle of it as my borther inlaw's a machinest and they use it by the ton where he works.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
A 16oz bottle is a lifetime supply for almost anyone. A 2oz bottle will last a gunsmith for years. <Most people use way too much on a screw, it only takes a small spot to lock a screw in place if the prep work is done.

ALWAYS clean the threads (both sets) with isotrophal alcohol. Let it dry completely BEFORE applying the lock-tite. I let that dry before screwing things together. BTW, check your alcohol bottle to make sure it's 90% or better - most of it you get from the cheap stores is 40-60% alcohol. The other 10-40% might be some ingredient that resists or breaks down lock-tite.

I picked this tip up from guys building big-time optics systems that must never move - some of these big scopes they build cost millions of dollars and some even end up in space - these guys do it all right every time or they never build another scope. I follow their advice even if it might be over-kill.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts