Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,175 Posts
I picked up 1K of the blems from Shooters Pro Shop a few years back. The Noslers don't have as deep a cannelure as the Hornady V Max. I seated per the Nosler on line manual. Ended up just about in the center of the cannelure. Slight taper crimp.

They are as accurate as the V Max. I was using H4198 and shot them from my Ruger American.

Keep us filled in.

Bepe
Liquid Glass bottle Font Writing implement Wood

· Registered
1,175 Posts
I shot a .64" 5 shot group @ 100 yards with my Ruger American. 25 grains of H4198 and the Hornady Z Max seated at cannelure.

The Noslers are just as accurate. I never duplicated that group but have shot several one hole 10 shot groups.

Like a fool I let the American go to a buddy.

Bepe

· Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to grab up some Z-Max bullets back in the day.

and yes, I know they are just V-Max with a green tip.
Bass Pro was clearing them out and I got the last boxes of .308 and .224 they had.
Correct on the green tip. Hornadys contribution to the Zombie Apocalypse.

I bought two boxes of the Z=Max back then. Just opened the second box. I checked Shooters Pro Shop. They have the Nosler blems in stock. Price has gone up some. I think I paid about $62 for a 250 box. They are now sold in a 100 box for $30 and change. Still not outrageous.

The bullets are lisited as blems. I've never been able to see any obvious defects as compared to the Factory ones bought direct from Nosler.

If you can't get the Hornady V-Max ......the Nosler's are the next best thing.

Another great bang for the buck is the Hornady FMJ. It looks like it would shoot like crap as compared to the poly tipped bullets. It shoots almost as well. MidSouth usually has them in stock. They will surprise you.

Bepe

Font Gas Cylinder Tobacco Drink

1 - 3 of 3 Posts