Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey all .....bought a new edition to the gun cabinet a few days ago a m77 Hawkeye predator in .223,I mounted a Leupold mk AR in 3x9x40 atop and its good to go, had it out to the range and i am pretty pleased with my initial outing i ran the barrel in and tried four different factory loads

sellior and bellot 55grn sp
Hornady superformance 53grn sst
American Eagle 50grn hp
Fedral fusion 62grn jsp

Bearing in mind that the rifle is brand new and still "settling"in the American eagle and the Hornady Superformance gave the best accuracy but as i am not going to reload i have a few more factory loads to trial yet.The predator has the same two stage trigger the VT target has and its a pleasure to shoot eclipseing by far the std trigger set up,its not a light weight rifle with the heavy barrel(7.25lbs) but its still light enough to be a good "walk around"rifle unlike the VT series (9.75 lbs)which tend to get a little heavy when walking and distance.Cheers Ruger i have a feeling this ones going to be a "shooter".;):)
KIWI

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Decided to have a well reputed gunsmith here do a number on it before going any further with cartridge testing,hes going to fully float the barrel and bed the action ,the trigger is great so no need to go there.They come std with a pressure bedded barrel with a pressure point around an inch from the end of the stock,as soon as a bipod is fitted that interrupts the harmonics and spreads those groups so it makes perfect sense to float it,especially being a bull barrel "predator" its probably going to spend a lot of time atop a bipod and bull barrels love to be floated anyways.
Hopefully it should be back in a week and i will post the results of a range test.
KIWI

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Decided to have a well reputed gunsmith here do a number on it before going any further with cartridge testing,hes going to fully float the barrel and bed the action ,the trigger is great so no need to go there.They come std with a pressure bedded barrel with a pressure point around an inch from the end of the stock,as soon as a bipod is fitted that interrupts the harmonics and spreads those groups so it makes perfect sense to float it,especially being a bull barrel "predator" its probably going to spend a lot of time atop a bipod and bull barrels love to be floated anyways.
Hopefully it should be back in a week and i will post the results of a range test.
KIWI

Old thread, I know, but...how'd this turn out?

Almost three years on, do you like this rifle in this caliber?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts