Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New mark IV target what ammo and red dot .

Ordered a stainless steel target 40126 and two extra magazines.
Now ammo ? 500 to 1000 rounds what do they like .

And old eyes need to add a red dot . What do I need to mount .
also recommendations on brand of red dot .

Thinking of putting on a vortex venom I have on my
M&P 2.0.
thanks

Righteous Dude
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Handwriting

One of these, eh? 馃槑
Ammo: shoot it all. Mine has done well with most everything I have put in it. CCI is always a good choice. It's done fine with Federal, Winchester, etc.

Optic: You can get a standard picatinney rail, or you can get a RMR style mount like the Lobos mount with the optic footprint you desire. This keeps the optic very low to the barrel. The Vortex is a good choice (but honestly, most popular optics are a good choice: Vortex, Burris, Holosun, etc).

Registered
New mark IV target what ammo and red dot .

Ordered a stainless steel target 40126 and two extra magazines.
Now ammo ? 500 to 1000 rounds what do they like .

And old eyes need to add a red dot . What do I need to mount .
also recommendations on brand of red dot .

Thinking of putting on a vortex venom I have on my
M&P 2.0.
thanks
For sure CCI is one of the best, especially Minimags. My Mark IV runs 100% reliably with those, but not so with Aguila and bulk ammo.

Registered
I also shoot CCI mini mags in my MK IV and have yet to have a problem. As far as reflex sights go (RED/GREEN dots) I'm trying out my 3rd one. I'm also new to RED dots so I bought the Swamp Fox Justice 3 MOA GREEN dot due to its larger sight window. Really liked this sight shooting at indoor ranges until I shot my first steel challenge match with it outdoors. I had a very hard time picking up the Green dot in the bright sunlight. 2nd was a Cyelee Calf XI 3 MOA RED dot, it's similar in window size to the Swamp Fox and it's much easier to find the dot in the sun. I do recommend this sight for your Mark IV due to the barrel mounted sight and low cost of the Cyelee, not sure about center fire handguns. I just got a Vortex Venom but after the first range trip its shooting about 4" low when the adjustments are maxed out. Saw this problem on the forums and have ordered a 1 degree shim from UT Tactical. Only reason for buying the Vortex is I'm trying a 6 MOA dot for steel challenge as I've also got aging eyesight.Shim should be here first part of the week so will let you know. Really find the reflex sight easy to use but it does take several hours of dry fire practice to develop muscle memory to quickly pick up the dot. Enjoy the Mark IV, I've also got a MKII 5.5" bull
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
and MKIII 22/45 and people will tell you this is a game changer.

Registered
Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel Gas

I like the Vortex Venon on one of my Mark IVs. It's been very reliable for me.

As for ammo, anything CCI works. I'd suggest Mini Mags for the first few hundred rounds to break your pistol in. After that try Standard Velocity. My Marks all like CCI Blazers. They are basically the MIni Mags without the coating so they are cheaper.

Registered
i'm running a lobos mount on mine with a primary arms mini reflex. I primarily run CCI mini mags and they run flawless through it.

Registered
I've been shooting this MK IV Competition model for the last two years. I mounted a C-More 2 moa RDS, mainly because I always wanted to try one.

I've had excellent results with CCI Pistol Match, Lapua Pistol King and Lapua OSP. The CCI Mini-Mag Target is also a good reliable runner in just about everything.

You often will have to try several rounds to find the ones that give the best accuracy in your gun. And too it depends on what level of accuracy are you looking for ... are you looking at 8" steel plates or dimes? Part of the fun is finding out what your gun likes ... but it's always nice to have a revolver to shoot up the stuff your auto doesn't care for,

Air gun Trigger Toy Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory
Shelving Shelf Technology Retail Machine

Registered
I recommend a 2MOA red dot.
I have a MK2 with a 2 MOA Sig Romeo red dot.
I usually shoot bulk ammo at 50 yards. Federal Automatch, Rem Thunderbolts or any other bulk ammo. They all seem to shoot very well for a pistol.
I use the good 22LR ammo for my rifles at 100 yards.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks
I stoped at wall mart and got 10 100 pks of cci mini mags .
will be used for bowling pin tops

sounds like they should be fine for a mark IV

I like this mount and others this one is in stock
ya or na for a mark IV target

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Or this . Which better of the two .

Registered
I most use Federal Match bulk ammo in my Mark IV.
I am not a red dot fan, but am very happy with the Williams Fire Sights I installed on my Mark IV.

Registered
Can't help on the red dot. But my Mark IV 22/45 absolutely loves that Bucket of bullets by Remington. I was going to use that ammo just for plinking and such. But the first group I shot with it impressed me. I have more expensive 22 ammo on hand that can't match it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts