Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new Mark lV 22/45 to the range for the first time yesterday after an initial cleaning when I brought it home. Using Aguila Super Extra 40 grain ammo. First mag almost all were light primer strikes and failure to fire. Second mag got a little better but still several ftf rounds per magazine. This was consistent for approx 100 rounds. Then switched to CCI Mini Mag 40 grain and it was better but still at least one ftf per mag and this continued for another 100 rounds. I have owned several Mark pistols back in the day and never had a problem like this. This is the first one I have bought in many yrs and now should I send it back to Ruger or is there a simple fix I am missing?

·
Registered
609 Posts
There are many possible causes for light strikes. But a great place to start is with an upgrade to a better extractor and heavier firing pin. Make sure you clean all the factory grease out of the firing pin channel, and check that the firing pin can move freely. Sometimes there is a little tooling chatter that needs sanded smooth.

Try this: bolt tuneup kit

I love buying from these guys. They never charge extra for shipping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Took my new Mark lV 22/45 to the range for the first time yesterday after an initial cleaning when I brought it home. Using Aguila Super Extra 40 grain ammo. First mag almost all were light primer strikes and failure to fire. Second mag got a little better but still several ftf rounds per magazine. This was consistent for approx 100 rounds. Then switched to CCI Mini Mag 40 grain and it was better but still at least one ftf per mag and this continued for another 100 rounds. I have owned several Mark pistols back in the day and never had a problem like this. This is the first one I have bought in many yrs and now should I send it back to Ruger or is there a simple fix I am missing?
The cleaning and ammo change are good, but before I would spend my money on a possible fix I would send it to Ruger and let them take a try. This is a warranty item in my book.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Make sure you clean all the factory grease out of the firing pin channel.
I'll 2nd that. I bought a new Mk III 22/45 from a gun show years ago & kept getting FTF. It was embarassing letting other people try it & just hearing "click." They were not light strikes - I had a gunsmith look at the gun & casings. I was told to get a new firing pin and clean the channel out. Ruger sent the firing pin N/C. I compared the old & new firing pins & could not see any difference. But the fix worked - hundres of rounds of cheap bulk ammo. Just one pin to drift out, as I recall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On my Mark IV I fired 100 rounds each of Federal bulk HP and Aguila HV. Not a single malfunction. Looking forward to putting another 100-200 down range next week.

RMA for sure. I RMA'd my Mark IV due to issues with the reassembly button and some other concerns based on visual inspection during my first clean; so I can tell you, you will be waiting for at least a month to get your gun back.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix it if it's defective "out-of-the-box." Leave it to the manufacturer who is intimately familiar with the firearm.

Edit - for typo and clarification

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solved the problem. When I got the gun I dry fired it quite a bit with some steel dummy cartridges I bought. They said for dry firing. Turns out the steel was so hard that it damaged the firing pin. I replaced the pin with a Tungsten one from Tandomkross and that solved the problem. Thanks for all the replys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Solved the problem. When I got the gun I dry fired it quite a bit with some steel dummy cartridges I bought. They said for dry firing. Turns out the steel was so hard that it damaged the firing pin. I replaced the pin with a Tungsten one from Tandomkross and that solved the problem. Thanks for all the replys.
Well shit. Yah I would not screw around with steel dummy rounds. The ones I have purchased are plastic or combination of brass and plastic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts