Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marlin/Hornady've been workin' on a new concept to put poly tips on belted shells so they won't chainfire in a tubular magazine-now they've developed a .308 Marlin for leverguns-I like it....Marlin has had quality problems lately-lots of bugs leaving the factory-all fixable but that ain't the way....used to be perfect out of the box...I think they're still worth the effort-don't like the imports...did you see the lever .410 they had? Sharp-and discontinued...

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I am wanting to try the Honady 30-30 WIN 160 GR LEVERevolution, you know the rubber tipped ballistics for lever guns...:D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's the name-are they hotter or just the tip difference to carry in the tubular mag? What's your rifle?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I have a Winchester Model 94 Ranger, 30-30... The pointed tip allows for better aerodynamics... I don't know if they "hop-up" the load or not... But the tip will make it fly further and straighter...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That it should, too-like the Accelerator tip of the 70's-will the tip stay on or leave, turning it into a hollow point after leaving the barrel?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
That new Marlin round comes pretty close to matching .308 Winchester ballistics. I was reading about it the other day. Sounds like it comes within about a 100 fps of .308 loads with the same weight of bullet. If the rifle is accurate enough, it should be effective on deer out to 250 yards or so. Farther than I guy should try one probably. Put a 1.5-4.5X variable scope on and you should have a pretty good all-around deer rifle...woods and open country.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the .308 deliver enough more at 75-150 yards than the .30-.30 or .35 Rem to make a difference? Power----accuracy???

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Does the .308 deliver enough more at 75-150 yards than the .30-.30 or .35 Rem to make a difference? Power----accuracy???
Truth is, probably not at that range. Been more deer killed with a turty-turty than anything else. The real advantage comes into play after 150 yards. Look at this link for a comparison between a .30-30 150 gr and a .308 150 gr.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=R30301*R308W1

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link-don't think I need anything past 150-don't scope anything (yet) and Texas is full of brush, old cars, and revenooers-long shots are not that common...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I seen an artical in this months "Shooting Times" just a bit ago at Walgreens. I really don't know about this new cartridge, as in getting a NEW Marlin just to have it, when my uncles Savage 99 in .308 Win does the job for that caliber. But for the yardage discribed ie 75 to 150 yards, it really is hard to argue with either the 30-30 or .35 Remington cartidge performance.

The 30-30 is still puttin them down, and quite well at that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What is so special about this, a cartridge just as good came out in 1921. the 303 Savage. Gee, they make this sound so special. Can't see a reason to get one. Not takin' shots at it, but why try to make a problem when it has already been cured? Les

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I agree the 303 Savage is the one to have int he woods, sucks if ya don't reload I do so I am good all the way. Next to have is the 300 Savage.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have a box of that Hornady rubber tipped 30-30. I've heard nothing but great things about improved accuracy, but have yet to try it. Also, I am probably the last person on the list to speak to accuracy. But the idea behind the ammo is so simple it's brilliant. Like my dad always used to say, "somebody sat up all night and thought of that." I'll report back soon on how it shoots.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've been hearing nothing but good about the new Hornado ammo also. It is a brilliant idea. Now a 30-30 is a 200 + yard deer gun. We won't be hearing the jokes we used to hear that we could throw a football farther than a 30-30. It is an idea for much more distance, accuracy and saftey with a tubular gun. Bravo for Hornady!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts