Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't pass up this Marlin to match my Winchester 94.

The only thing I do not like is this front sight. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow or Saturday to see how it shoots.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
nice----
going to scope or receiver sight it latter on down the road?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really know what my options are. Not sure what receiver sight means, sorry. I have never used a scope before in my life, that might be fun.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Eddie, Sweet Marlin, just a suggestion, look at the lyman or williams peep rear sight first before considering the scope. I really liked them and kept the old west feel to the gun.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Nice Marlin...you'll luv' it!

I agree with th' guys, tho'...look at and try..if you can...a "peep", or reciever sight, or what is known as a 'ghost ring' sight. It's essentially the same thing as a regular 'peep' sight, but usually has a bit larger opening to look thru.

They're 'bout perfect for that Marlin...enjoy!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Williams peep sights never fog or loose their allignment like a scope and the batteries never quit at the worst time like a halo sight. The small rear apature greatly improves the sharpness of the front sight (even for old eyes). At the ranges appropriate for a lever gun the peep will do everything that the other options won't.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Marlin is a durn good rifle I'll conceed that. I have one in 30-30 but I have two Henrys that will stack up against any Marlin out there for ease in loading, reliability, and accurecy. Gotta love them Henrys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eddie,

I think your going to like your Marlin 1894c/.357 Caliber much more then the Winchester... They are great Guns just look what they are going for now. It's hard to find a nice used one for under $500.00 dollar's.

If it's a new or next to new Rifle and the Lever cycles a little stiff or tends to stick in spots rent the Movie "Tombstone" sometime. You can then cycle the Lever several thousand times while watching it, that usually smooth's things out!

Don't let anyone tell you it's no good for Deer Hunting either. Under 100 Yard's with the right Ammo the .357 makes quit a hole.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm jealous. I've lusted after a 1894c for quite some time. I'm hoping to find a good used one at the gun show the end of this month.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've got an older model 1894c with out the crossbolt, and the first thing I did was put a peep sight on her. She is serving duty as a home defense rifle down loaded with .38spl+P loads.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, Eddie, regarding the FRONT sight you don't like...I filed mine from a bead to a post. The whole bead/post is made of brass and files very easily.

For the rear on my 1894CSS I went with the Skinner 1894 peep...very nice match to the rifle, adjustable for windage and elevation. They make the same sight in the options of blue or brass.

Right now they are working on a scout scope mount setup that incorporates a peep in it also. Should be pretty slick!

Jon

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice rifle think you will really like the .357 , I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and a Henry in .357 was real surprised at how acurate both rifles were out of the box. with leverevolution ammo put 3 bullits through the same hole at 200 yards , well not exactly the same hole it looked like a figure 8

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Eddie, that is a very nice Rifle If it was mine I would put a rear peep sight on it and shoot the crap out of it. enjoy it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts