Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an ar556 for Christmas and really like it. I've put a couple hundred rounds in it and Gunzilla'd it a couple of times. I had my first issue the third time I took it to shoot, it would not eject and feed. I thought the bcg was stuck, but the charging handle worked fine and I could charge it to make it fire every time.

This is my first ar so it took me a while to realize it was a gas block problem. Both pins on the front sight/gas block had fallen out. Completely. Th sight could slide all the way to the muzzle break.

I need opinions, I'm no gunsmith, but the hard part is taken care of from what I hear. Do I just take off the current huge front sight and put on an adjustable low pro gas block, or send it back to ruger? My lgs wouldn't help since it had been fired, which was fair. I hoped they would throw some pins in it, but I knew that was wishful thinking.

I'm looking at this gas block of I do change it: Syrac Ordnance Gen II Click-Adjustable Clamp On Gas Block AR-15 LR-308

Would that require and work on the barrel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

As for a problem with a brand new Ruger? Call them tomorrow A.M. and have them make it right.

·
Banned
388 Posts
Yeah, no question about it call Ruger! Make them fix it before you upgrade anything. If there is something really wrong with the barrel where they mounted the FSB you don't want to add upgrades to a bad barrel.
Good luck, but its Ruger they will make it right!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the advice. Good point about the barrel and having them make it right. I'll call them tomorrow.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Were the pins in the gas block to start with? I have never heard of both pins backing out. From what I hear about the trouble folks have removing the AR556 gas block I'm betting they weren't installed. If they were the barrel most likely was drilled incorrectly.

Either way, send it back and let Ruger fix it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I agree with them never being installed and that's why they're missing. On a production line I don't think they would be misdrilled oversize and I doubt if the block would heat up and expand and the pins fall out. I just wonder why it worked so well for quite a few rounds before failing. Good tole renting I gues.

Anyway, you're on the right path by calling Ruger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were the pins in the gas block to start with? I have never heard of both pins backing out. From what I hear about the trouble folks have removing the AR556 gas block I'm betting they weren't installed. If they were the barrel most likely was drilled incorrectly.

Either way, send it back and let Ruger fix it.
Sorry, I missed this because I didn't get subscribed to my thread! Haha.

They were installed because I had probably put 100 or so rounds through it and field stripped it, cleaned it, then probably 100 more rounds. I found 1 pin that had fallen out in the box, that's how I got it shooting again a couple days later, but the pin did not have a head and it was probably about 1/2 as long as the new ones. It would slide in and out by hand. When they weren't in the block it wouldn't cycle.

The good news is that I sent it off, and just got it back today! It was probably gone less than 10 days total which surprised me. I'm wanting a bi tone 9mm, and after this, it will definitely be the sr9c. They also sent me a free cleaning cloth, which is a nice touch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts