Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just purchased my first firearm this week and decided to start with a ruger 10/22 carbine (wood stock) and I love it already. I have a good amount of shooting experience from about 10+ years ago and within the first few rounds at the range I was back in the groove.

I am already looking at mods and accessories. Aside from a automatic bolt release what else are recommended or "must have" accessories/mods? What sights are good aftermarket upgrades (I am looking at the tech-SIGHTS tsr-100/200)? Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for the input!

John
New Jersey

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Second newcomer to the 10/22 in as many days. :) Welcome! Don't take it as slight if I cut/paste a previous answer I'd given.
Another first timer. Welcome to the disease. Started with a simple build nearly 20 years ago and some 17 or so builds completed, 3 in various stages and a cuple more pending in the plan book, I can attest it can become habit forming. Having tried a bunch of various parts, brands and styles, I'm happy to help. Now then...
What you should get depends all on what you want as an end result. Decide what you want when it's all done, performance, looks, etc and work from there.
1. Set a budget. Remember, in most cases, you get what you pay for but there are cases where you pay more for a brand name or just a style or look. Also cases where you pay more for how something is marketed - anything said to be "tactical" for example.
2. Working from what you want as an end result, start finding the parts and pieces. Keep things on a relatively level playing field. It's a waste to go with top-level for one component and then a far lesser level for another. One doesn't compensate for the other. Same holds true with the optics as well. Funny in a sad way how many will go all out on the barrel, trigger, action, etc and then go with a cheap, low-grade optic. Be consistent.
3. Assemble
4. Enjoy. Best bet is to also try a bunch of different ammo to see what works best in your particular gun. Just because you like ______ammo doesn't mean that's the best choice.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congrats on your new 10/22 Enjoy it & Greetings & Welcome to the forum from the "Tar Heel" State of North Carolina.

·
Registered
400 Posts
As far as a scope, unless you are trying to buzz the fuzz off a gnats nads from 100 yards, I love the simplicity of this Bushnell 4x32. I picked it up at WalMart for less than $30 and LOVE it for plinking and 50-75 yard target shooting. Very clear optics and the mounts are decent, but I ended up buying some weavers.

Reviews can be read here.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Congrats & welcome...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Welcome from the Florida panhandle near Pensacola...
Merry Christmas & God Bless...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, & welcome to the Forum!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
I'd have one myself, only they are illegal in Australia.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts