Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've been shooting since the early 70's, have owned lots of firearms, quite a few of them Rugers, but have only been on forums for the last couple of years. I've been lurking here, reading up on the P345 I recently purchased so thought I should join. I have 2 Kimber 1911's at present, but wanted a cheaper ( $400-$500) .45 Acp. to leave in the truck,etc. A friend has a Springfield XD, nice shooter but I have a preference for pistols w/ hammers. Had a Glock 21 for a while but grip was fat for my average hands and the triggers on them aren't my favorite. Carried a Glock 10mm for almost a decade though, so I must have liked it somewhat. I saw a used P345 at a gunshow a couple weeks ago, so went home and read up on it. Comments were mostly favorable, so I went back the next day and got it. Like the feel of it, decent trigger, accurate as my 1911's, softer felt recoil. I was thinking I would do the magazine safety delete, but tried it at the range w/o a mag and it fired, so the previous owner must have already done it. I picked up a couple extra magazines, then started looking for a holster. I'm left handed, so that narrows my choices. I saw the Fobus on Ruger's website, but didn't see that it is offered in left hand. I had a Dillon leather holster that I had used for my large frame Glock, it almost fit, so I wet it, and as it dried overnight, repeatedly inserted it, and it fits good now. But wouldn't mind getting something with retention, also an IWB. I did a search here for holsters, but still not sure if the holsters for other large P series work for the 345. Anyone know of a company that makes left hand versions ? I'll probably order some Meprolight tritium sights and a Wolff 19 lb. hammer spring before long. Also enjoying my Gunsite Scout .308 I got a couple months ago.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Welcome from mid-coast Maine. I'm right-handed and don't own a P345, so can't advise you very well. But you will find some folks on this forum who can give you some good information. I handled a P345 at Cabella's once, but the temptation was not strong enough for it to come home with me. Haven't fired a .45 since Fort Leonard Wood in the early 70's. Hmmm...maybe I should do something about that...

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,359 Posts
sandog ... Welcome to the forum & Congrats on your new (to you) P345. I would second the suggestion of the CB SuperTuck :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Glad your are enjoying your P345 & your .308 Gunsite Scout Rifle=AWESOME rifle...
Welcome from the Florida panhandle near Pensacola...
Merry Christmas & GOD bless...

·
Registered
17,828 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping for something leather , not plastic like the Fobus and Blade tech. Still wondering, will holsters for other Ruger P models like the P97 work for the P345 ? Might have to order the Super Tuck for an IWB, looks nice.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,359 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping for something leather , not plastic like the Fobus and Blade tech. Still wondering, will holsters for other Ruger P models like the P97 work for the P345 ? Might have to order the Super Tuck for an IWB, looks nice.
Sandog ... There are some significant differences between the P345 and the P90, P95 & P97. While my P345 will fit in my P95 holsters, it's frankly not a good fit and I would be concerned about proper retention. You best bet is to get a holster specifically designed for the P345 IMHO.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Greetings & Welcome from the "Tar Heel" State of North Carolina.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Might I suggest you take a look at El Paso Saddlery - Summer Cruiser this may be more to your liking. I do prefer a good leather holster to plastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.