Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have had several revolvers in the past but my new sp101 is ss of course. Now, here is my question, When I clean my revolver, especially the cylinder, I noticed some little rings toward the end of the cylinder. Now, these are not carbon marks from shooting 38 special out of my sp101 357. Looks like they are made into the cylinder. Are these actually what is called a cylinder throats? Just wondering. When I was looking at these in low light, I though it might be carbon rings or qunk from shooting the 38 specials. After getting a flashlight, I notice again these rings seem to be made into the cylinder. I never have been able to really notice these on my other revolvers. Can someone educate me on this.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum - from "The Mountain State" of West Virginia

I love my GP100

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,798 Posts
sud123, What you are seeing is the transition from case diameter (.380") to bullet diameter (.357"). These are called "internal forcing cones". After the chamber transitions to .357", there is about 1/2" to the face of the cylinder. These are called " cylinder throats".

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
When I got my LCR-357, it had been many years since I had a centerfire revolver. On the first cleaning I spent a few strokes trying to clean out those shiny lines. Then I realized, "Toto, we're not shooting just .22 anymore".

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Info for a newbie...

If IOWEGAN says it, it's true.

He is our resident Gunsmith God.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Georgia!

Sounds like your question is a non-problem. I see similar "rings" in my GP100.

Glad you could join us, ENJOY!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Very helpful. Learned something myself.
I was kinda close but just wanted to make sure.... Again,,, thanks and look forward to being part of the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts