Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Indiana! I purchased a brand new Mini 14 this weekend from a local guy. The sale came with 2- 20 round Pmags. I have yet to shoot the rifle yet but have messed around with the mags and cleaned everything. Upon closer examination of both magazines, the hole on front of the mag appears to me misaligned. I noticed when I take the mag out of the rifle it seems to catch. Should I drill this out to make a perfect hole?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
First of all welcome aboard, secondly I'd try them first before I did any surgery on them. You might note that very few after market mags work properly in most of the mini-14's. Fortunately I have one that just about any after-market mag will shoot good in my mini-14.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Yeah, that's the same problem I had in past Pro Mags I have owned. Not only the over lapping metal is not drilled correctly but they are usually drilled in the wrong place. The front hole of the mag is critical, and Pro Mag has very poor quality control. Magazines from them are hit and miss, I guess that's why we pay more for Ruger factory mags, they always work. But if you are looking for a cheaper magazine that will work, I have "heard" that Tapco mags function well for the Mini.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
To the OP do yourself a favor and buy some Factory Ruger Mini 14 magazines they are much higher quality. If I had the same situation I would probably try to clean out the partially blocked hole on your Promag with a drill & the properly sized drill bit but go slowly and try not to mess it up more then it already is. But I have a 30 round aftermarket mag that works ok but I hardly ever use it. Instead I have 3-4 Ruger 20 round factory mags that have never given me any problems. Good Luck to you!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have 2 20 round promag's and 1 30 rounder promag that I haven't had any problems with in either of my mini's. I haven't checked for a flaw like yours but may when I get home from work. Now to get picky, are those the only magazines that came with the gun? You should have gotten a couple of factory magazines too even if they are only 5 round mags.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The two Promags that came with my Mini14 will fail to feed regularly. They're going in the trash. Ruger factory only from here on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went ahead and drilled them out last night. They still lock up fine in the rifle but don't seem to stick as bad coming out. I will be buying a couple of factory mags soon also.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
BTW a year ago or so I purchased 4-20 round mags for the mini-14 from Sportsman's Guide for a very small price (don't remember exact price) and they all functioned extremely well. Although they didn't have a manufacturers name on them, I do believe they were Ruger's blemished rejects. Shortly after receiving them I called them back to reorder some more and unfortunately they were all sold out. Note I have a couple of the Ruger 20 round mags, and side by side they look identical with the exception of the Ruger logo missing from the base plate.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Depending on where you get them,Ruger factory mags may seem expensive. Just suck it up and pay your money. You'll only cry once when you buy factory.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Depending on where you get them,Ruger factory mags may seem expensive. Just suck it up and pay your money. You'll only cry once when you buy factory.
All truth be told the cost of Ruger factory mags are not that bad. I have gone through my fair share of magazines and Ruger make some really nice stuff. You have to remember, if you want top shelf you have to pay top shelf prices. Plus they practically last for ever.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The ProMags I have are 10rnd, none were like that, All work perfect, I have 9 of them.
I own about the same number of 10 rd ProMags as you and all of mine have been perfect too. In fact, the only mags I have that needed filing and drilling to work properly in my Mini 14 were 3 10 rd Ruger factory mags. The mag locating hole was too small and the length of the latching lug was too long on all of them. Go figure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Woods, welcome to the site and congrats on that mini. I have 3 10rd promags and here's what I had to do to get them working smoothly; yes, cleanup and slightly enlarge that pin hole in the front, don't need to shoot it to test that out. Then take a look at the top front edge of the mag, there should be 2 divots there to make stripping rounds smooth, yeah smooth out those puppy's too. I also replaced the follower with a Ruger follower from midway. They're not really a Ruger product but they work much better than the promag followers. Good luck and come back and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I own about the same number of 10 rd ProMags as you and all of mine have been perfect too. In fact, the only mags I have that needed filing and drilling to work properly in my Mini 14 were 3 10 rd Ruger factory mags. The mag locating hole was too small and the length of the latching lug was too long on all of them. Go figure.
I have some John Masen 10rnd mags that work perfect too. They're a little longer than the ProMags though. I'm guessing if you changed followers in them they'd hold 15rnds.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Those are wise words and I hope I remember your quote in the future. I haven't had any problems with after market mags for my mini but have had trouble with after market for my M1A.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with Ruger mags, however, I have had great luck with Tapco Gen 2 mags. I've built a collection of a few Rugers for HD purposes and several Tapcos as backups/range mags. I find them to be a good value at about $15-20 each to build a mag stockpile at modest cost. However, as funds allow you definitely want Rugers for all serious purposes. They are bombproof. Tapcos are great with brass, reportedly less so with steel case....I don't fire steel case though so I can't speak to that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have some John Masen 10rnd mags that work perfect too. They're a little longer than the ProMags though. I'm guessing if you changed followers in them they'd hold 15rnds.
Now this is getting downright scary. :D I've a couple of 10 rd John Masen mags that work well too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts