Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Member with New SP101/4.2 inch

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Argee1950 
#1 ·
I have this nice new SP101, 4.2 inch, 357 with sights. I find two holsters on the Ruger site, both Triple K's, and they are not what I had in mind. I plan to carry this while hunting and had a secure nylon holster in mind. I realize this is the same size as a S&W J frame, but they are all 3 inch barrels. What holster (holsters) will this gun fit in?

Bill

#3 ·
Should be plenty of nylon holsters out there for that. I have the Simply Rugged Silver Dollar that Straightwall mentioned above for my SP 101 4.2" and like it very much. I have both SP 101's and "J" frames and they are different enough regardless of barrel length that they don't fit properly in the same formed type holsters like leather.

#4 ·
J frame holsters are a no-go for the SP101. My 4" SP101 does really well in the Woodsman, a leather thumb break holster with good forward cant by Triple K, model 570-71. It also has a slot for cross draw carry. I wouldn't hold out for nylon, since true fits for this gun are hard to find.

The problem I have with Simply Rugged is that the belt slots are not sized snuggly enough to maintain cant. It is better suited to open carry.

#8 · (Edited)
The misfit is more evident in thumb break models. Actually the gun is not fully inserted in any of J frame holsters I have tried. Note the gun stops at the bend in the stitching forward of the trigger guard.That Hunter style is so generous a fit that it wouldn't define the issue. In the open top shown in an earlier picture the rear sights are over exposed.

A big issue too is the J-frame pattern assumption of weight lighter than an SP101, resulting in slots only big enough for a puny belt.

Hey, tell us about that handsome grip.

#9 ·
Hey, tell us about that handsome grip.
The grip is from jaruwan.p in Thailand. He sells on Ebay, and has grips for many handguns. If I remember correctly, it was $33. I wanted something a bit more "target" for the 22. I waited for one with grain I thought was exciting, he has many grips with drab wood, but every once in a while, something will show up that is different from the others. It takes about 3 weeks to receive grips from him. There are other sellers from Thailand on Ebay, but he seems to be about the cheapest, has the largest selection, and was the first one I found

#6 · (Edited)
Make your own holster... I have about $8 into mine:

These 4.2 SP101's have to be the one of the most practical little revolvers available. Almost as lite as the short barrel models and carries on the belt just the same. Has become my all around, do-it-all handgun. I picked up mine right when they came out and it has since been my hunting companion, woods bum buddy, EDCCW all across the town and back and has no trouble keeping them within a couple of inches at 25 yards, offhand. My pet load clocks a 158 gr XTP right about 1200 fps and is probably much more accurate than I.

#10 ·
I have a SP101 with the 4" barrel. I carry it in a Uncle Mike's Super Belt Slide. It is a size #2. The exact model I have is not made by them any more. At least I do not think it is. When I bought mine it was called a Pancake Holster. It is very similar to the Super Belt Slide #86020.
It is a cheaper option and serves my purpose very well. If you can find a retailer that carries them, give it a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.