Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm a new member and live in Mukilteo Washington which is on the shores of Puget Sound.
I am retired from Boeing, and enjoy hunting/fishing/golfing.
I have a Hewescraft Sea Runner, and am often boating around the sound while fishing/crabbing.

I have several Ruger hand guns and rifles, and felt it would benefit me to join the forum, where I can educate myself!

Here is a question
I have a GP100 357 Mag, and reload for it.
On "lighter" loads, say with a 125gr jacketed bullet, and under 1100 fps, can I use small pistol primers, or should I stick with small pistol magnum only?

Thanks for your advice, and Happy Thanksgiving!

oldcrab

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,519 Posts
You can use either magnum or standard primers. Follow the instructions in your reloading manual for the best outcome. You can use 38 Special load data in a 357 Mag case and get similar results.

Primer types are related to the powder ..... standard small pistol primers for all fast and medium burn rates. Magnum primers are used with slow burning powder, such as W-296, H-110, Lil'Gun, or 4227.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome to the party.
Standard primers should be fine for lighter loads of fast powder. I only use magnum primers for heavy loads of slower powders. You might want to consider just loading up light loads in .38 spec. cases.

I load a lot of revolvers loads ... my favorite combos include standard primers with W-231 or 244 in .38 cases. And W-296 with magnum primers in .357 cases for magnum level loads. Barrel length is a consideration as to how much powder I use ... too much slow powder in a short barrel just creates a flamethrower.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Greetings and salutations. You may not be too far from the old Ft Lewis McChord area. May not be too far from where the Snohomish used to call home. I used to have relatives up around there and travel through the bases. Day trips up to Vancouver. They frown on politics outside the tavern but let me say 30-40 years ago I could see myself living around there. Today -- absolutely not.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Back in the day 125gr JHP was a staple of mine. I was debating back then fast and light or slow and heavy. As stated the right primers are powder dependent depending on the ignition requirements. What type of powder do you have? What other component do you have on hand? I was just wondering why you seem to be set on 125gr 357 loads.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi!
I'm a new member and live in Mukilteo Washington which is on the shores of Puget Sound.
I have a Hewescraft Sea Runner, and am often boating around the sound while fishing/crabbing.

I have several Ruger hand guns and rifles, and felt it would benefit me to join the forum, where I can educate myself!

Here is a question
On "lighter" loads, say with a 125gr jacketed bullet, and under 1100 fps, can I use small pistol primers, or should I stick with small pistol magnum only?

oldcrab
Small Pistol Magnum Primers! Reason? You're shooting a Magnum Round. You use the same reloading Data, But stay at just a couple of grains above min powder loads

·
Registered
Ruger Shooter
632 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from NE Ohio.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Howdy from Tomball, Texas. Congrats on your retirement from Boeing, good company to retire from (worked for them on a Gov't contract years ago and also got a small pension from them.)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Greetings from the Show Me State.

I’d run SP’s.
That's incorrect, He's asking about 357mag rounds. In his case I would shoot 38spl to target practice. That wasn't his question. He's asking about 357 mag. NO way would I substitute SPP for SPMP. you do it. do not say for him to do that. Your not the one holding the gun

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi!

Here is a question

oldcrab
Stay with the small pistol mag primers. Just be sure to stay a couple of grains above min load. Test them to see how they work, recoil, accuracy. But if I want to practice with my Ruger security 6 38/357mag, I'll always use the 38spl to practice with. Thats just me, but I've been doing it that way since I bought the gun in 1977. and I've been reloading since 1972.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts