Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a new member to the site and a novice to guns. I am an old eagle scout that has been away from shooting for quite some time. I am very interested in learning how to shoot a pistol and was informed by my avid gun collecting uncle that a ruger 22 would be a great starting point.

I am looking to buy a 22/45 mark III hunter with the 6 7/8 fluted barrel.

Can someone tell me which is more comfortable, the traditional 22 style or the 22/45 style. Which is a bigger/wider grip. I am a pretty big guy and would like to have something solid to hold onto?

Thanks for having me and I have already learned so much just combing through the site. thanks again

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you. There's a great bunch of guys here with a wealth of information. The grip shape on the Mark III's is pretty subjective. I have a Mark II with the 'Luger' style grip angle. Personally, I prefer the shape and angle of the 22/45 style. Be aware that the 22/45 frame is polymer instead of steel...that's not an issue with me, but is for some folks.
Tom

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
The 22/45's grip is molded into the frame, so grip replacements are not available. The standard 'Luger' grip pistol has replaceable grips, and are easily replaced for a bolder/thicker feel. Try running down to a local gun shop in your area and handle the 22/45. The 22/45 is styled after the Colt 1911 .45 so it has a .45 feel to it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,344 Posts
jfdodd51, Welcome aboard. Keep the questions coming ... we have answers.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Keith or Iowegan. Is the 22/45 very hard to strip down, something like the P-series field strip, to be cleaned? I've been thinking about getting one, but wondered how easy they are to keep clean.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Welcome, from S/E Texas, to what is probably th' friendliest forum around. Lotsa' folks willing to share.

If you can, try what Keith Smith suggests and see what works best for your hand. Personally, I like both but kinda lean toward the 22/45...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome! There must be a sale going on here. I like the bull barrel MarkII. It feels good and is balanced for me but to each his own.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm glad you're here, welcome to the forum! New guys buys cigars. :D

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
KP97DC, I have never owned a 22/45, but it looks to be the exact same disassembly as the 'luger' model. On a new pistol, disassembly is rather difficult, and most of the time it requires a mallet to knock the barrel off the frame once the grip lever is removed. After a pistol is well worn in, it comes off much easier.

http://www.wiztechs.com/knightsrealm/guns/22-45/instructions.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am really excited about getting this gun and being apart of the forum. I went down to a local gun store in Trussville, AL today and got to look at both models. I liked the luger style much better. It was definitely a thicker handle versus the 22/45. Looks like I will be getting the mark III hunter 6 7/8. I am pumped!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Keith for that point in the right direction. I have just put that auction in my blackberry to watch as it gets closer. Looks interesting with no reserve, no taxes and low shipping.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.