Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from taking my new Mini 14 to the range. I need to dial the sights in but that will have to happen another day. What I loved about it other than the handling and the way it looks (Mini 14 Ranch) was the noise and muzzle flash. Some of the guys in the other lanes stopped and watched when I started firing, and a few came to ask me what I was shooting.

I just love this gun! :D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I just got back from taking my new Mini 14 to the range. I need to dial the sights in but that will have to happen another day. What I loved about it other than the handling and the way it looks (Mini 14 Ranch) was the noise and muzzle flash. Some of the guys in the other lanes stopped and watched when I started firing, and a few came to ask me what I was shooting.

I just love this gun! :D
I don't know if you are shooting indoors or outdoors, but I love the way the Mini14 sounds outdoors, a lot different than the high pitch pop of the ARs:D...............................

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if you are shooting indoors or outdoors, but I love the way the Mini14 sounds outdoors, a lot different than the high pitch pop of the ARs:D...............................
It was indoors. They send you to the back room if you are shooting anything loud but I was still the loudest by far.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Never shot a mini indoors, but I'm sure the boom is loud. I own 2 mini14's and have only fired them outdoors. At the range with friends they all move to the left of me when I pull out one of the mini's. Some even move their vehicles, because they don't want my spent brass landing on their vehicles.

I like the mini14, but the brass ejection path is everywhere. While at the range I now place a brass catcher next to the mini, so I don't piss off anyone to my right.

Be sure you only stay with the factory mags!

Enjoy yours.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I just picked up a Mini myself (Tactical, not the ATI version). I actually got it on 9/11 (great way to remember the day with an American-made classic, right?). I noticed the same thing the first time I shot it. It's my first centerfire rifle and I was pleasantly surprised when I hear that first shot go off. Followed by the metallic clank of that Garand-style action.

At the club Thursday evening, I had a couple people mention that they liked the way it sounded as well. :)

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yep, love that muzzle flash. Of course here in California we cant have a flash hider on the mini because of some silly a** laws. Had mine for about a year and half now. By the way, Cabela's has a sale on PMC .223, $5.99 a box. Just ordered 50 boxes, free shipping.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Had to start the refinishing of the deck today so just had time to go to the range with the LC9 and shoot 100 rounds.

BUT, tomorrow I am free to do the initial clean on my new Mini-14 (Tactical) and plan to take a day off work this week and make it go boom!

·
Registered
827 Posts
When I have shot my mini 14 stainless ranch indoors, I've also had others comment on how loud it was, some even ask me what caliber it was as they are surprised to hear it is .223.

The flash suppressor on my tactical does make a noticeable difference on the muzzle flash, but that impressive boom is still there or more so.

Of course, our indoor 50 & 100yd range allows any caliber up to and including .50 bmg so no body can complain I'm the loudest one on that line!

I'd say my mini 14s were some of the best gun money I've spent in the last few years.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I have had my Mini Tactical for about a year. The darn thing is fun, it's accurate and it simply works great. Yep, she's a great noise maker.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was uninterested in the afternoon football games and it was so beautiful outside, I put the Mini-14 in the bag and headed to the range to shoot my last 60 rounds of .223 ammo I had on hand. I have 15 boxes 'out for delivery' with UPS as I type this.

It was the first time I shot it since I added the TAPCO forward grip. I was shooting while sitting on the bend, just resting my arm and I was shooting right. I then used a rest under the barrel and I was back to being OK shooting 50 yards with just the factory sights.

I just love shooting this rifle.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went back today to try and dial the sights in. For some reason the rear sight seems really far left, but at least it's consistently hitting near the center of the bulls eye.

I've got some practicing to do in order to improve my accuracy.

It's still good and loud and continues to attract attention at the indoor range.

I didn't mention before that prior to buying the mini 14, I hadn't shot a rifle since my teen years. Wow, eyesight really changes a lot from age 16 to 46. If I want to shoot a sub 2" group at 200 yards like I keep reading about I guess I'll need optics instead of iron sights, a bench rest, a vice, and possibly someone to shoot it for me. :p

Love this gun!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sure is hard to see that tiny red circle when it's 200, 100, or even 50 yards away! But it is very satisfying when you shoot a nice group at long-distance with iron sights!

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Due to a crowded northeastern Us there is a 100 yard indoor range in lower NY state about 40 minutes from me. If you want to hear loud you should hear a 338 Lapua fired indoors. In NY and NJ suppressors are illegal so do not suggest that idea. The shock wave as felt even without a muzzle beak on the gun.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Due to a crowded northeastern Us there is a 100 yard indoor range in lower NY state about 40 minutes from me. If you want to hear loud you should hear a 338 Lapua fired indoors. In NY and NJ suppressors are illegal so do not suggest that idea. The shock wave as felt even without a muzzle beak on the gun.
Our range limits rifles to 30-06. Someone was firing a very loud something yesterday but I was focused on getting my sights adjusted so I can at least hit the blipping target consistently.

Was thinking about a muzzle break like the mo reaper, but for now I'll stick with the factory sights. Here in CA suppressors are banned also. If it were legal, I'd consider taking a field trip to AZ to pick up some 20 round mags and a suppressor. ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Follow-up to my 9/22 post: Well during my initial Mini-14 ATI Tactical clean, did a rookie (dumb :eek:) thing and removed the gas block (this in spite of reviewing a number of videos on the disassembly - BUT all were for the ranch model - so I'll plead this as my reason for the goof :rolleyes:).

So after several hours of anxiety and preparations to send the barrel/gun back to Ruger, I decided what the heck and thought how to re-attach the block.

I partially assembled the gun with the bolt slide pressed forward on the gas tube by the spring. Used an automotive feeler gauge and slowly rotated the tightening the four screws side to side/back to front, all the while adjusting the gauges utized to assure equal balance on both sides (plus occassionaly tested the bolt slide for continued line-up). Though did not have a torque wrench, I tightened all screws by feel.

Read that if I was off, the gun would not eject or operate properly. So I went to the range on Monday morning and shot two twenty and one thirty magazine loads of 223 without a single problem. :D :D :D

Gun operated flawlessly and accuracy was outstanding (40 yds max at indoor) with iron sites and old eyes. If anyone with more experience in these matters can offer advice to this novice, I'd be grateful. Great rifle.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts