Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just bought my first rifle! Ruger mini 14 188 series. Bought used at a local pawn shop. Been looking at minis for awhile and couldn't 'pull the trigger' to buy a new one for $900 so I got this. Want a 580 but good luck finding one used! Where do I start with mods/accessories? Definitely would like to get a scope, not really expensive as for mainly target shooting and varmints. Should I used factory rings or put a rail on it? Barrel stabilizer? On BTW its wood stock with ss barrel. Thanks in advance!

·
Exalted One
1,803 Posts
Hey!, welcome to the forum from Central Virginia.

Barrel stabilizer would be a good start. Three different manufacturers: AccuStrut, MoRod, and TruShot. AccuStrut is the original stabilizer, so I generally prefer to steer folks toward it in order to reward the inventor for his hard work, research, and just a great idea/concept. It is up to you, of course. I would recommend a 6" long two-clamp strut (the shorter SOCOM strut won't give you as much improvement).

Others will chime in.

Warne makes QD rings for the ranch guaranteed to retain/return to zero. There are plenty of picatinny rails available, too, as well as UltiMak or Amega Ranges scout rails.

1911 buffers fore and aft of the op-rod are popular, too in order to help an optic survive. You can also fiddle with gas bushings, but I would recommend firing it first and seeing just how far the brass ejects.

Welcome to the Mini Club!:)

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :cool:

Congrats on the Mini.

Use only factory mags for best results. Shoot that thing and decide what you to change.

A barrely stabilizer would probably be a good move to increase the rigidity of the barrel.

Rings or rail are fine for optics. It depends on what you want for an optic. You can also get a rail handguard to move optics forward of the receiver. Plenty of good options out there.

Let us know how it runs. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shot it first time yesterday! AWESOME rifle! With factory iron sights I had good groups at 100 yds....cannot wait to shoot again! Anyone using bipods?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I second the accu-strut. Also the Mini-14 is funny about not likeing after-market mags. For best results use Ruger mags. Good luck with you new mini. I love mine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Shot it first time yesterday! AWESOME rifle! With factory iron sights I had good groups at 100 yds....cannot wait to shoot again! Anyone using bipods?
Welcome to the Mini world and the forum.

I plan to stay with iron sights on my 583 series. To date I have changed the gas bushing and added an Ultimak handguard along with some fine tuning of the trigger group. Just these simple changes has tightened up my groupings and made the gun more enjoyable to fire.
As suggested a barrel stabilizer is a good start.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Good advice from those replies above. An Accustrut for sure on your older Mini will do wonders. Your Mini is very light and handy now, try to avoid adding too much crap on it. A bipod will add a pound, a scope and mounts a pound and a half. Before you know it, your Mini will weigh 9 pounds and not be so handy anymore.
My eyes aren't that great anymore, but a red dot does fine for 90% of the shooting you'll do, and something like a Burris FF III red dot weighs less than an ounce.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome to the club! I recently bought my mini as well. Everybody here is pointing you in the right direction. For what you wanna do, a bipod really ain't necessary. I kept the factory rings and 4x tasco glass on mine that it came with when i bought it used. I plan on an accu - strut after the holidays, already added a choate ventilated hand guard and M14 style flash hider. Didn't add much weight if any so the gun still handles great and looks all together meaner than factory. I use mine similar to what you spoke of, Varmints and targets, so I wanted it to still handle fast and point naturally. A bipod changes the balance quite a bit so it doesn't point as quick. If it were going to be a predator calling rig, it'd be a different discussion

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the helpful info! Probably going to go looking at scopes tomorrow. Definitely leaning away from the bipod. Anymore info on the bushing mod?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful info! Probably going to go looking at scopes tomorrow. Definitely leaning away from the bipod. Anymore info on the bushing mod?
Its pretty simple to do. Since you are south of the border getting parts should be easy to do. Look here about 3/4 the way down. Mini 14 Accessories Ruger Rifle 30 Muzzle Brake Gas Block Compensator Steel Bedding System
From the research I have down, I would give them a call to ensure the kit for your gun is the right length, I think numerous site members have stated .295 in length. I would try the .045 to start. There are some good threads on the site here regarding the finer details of the gas bushing.
I made one due to most places not shipping north of the border for my 583 series mini. Its about .0463 I think and it puts them around 7' away from me.
I would highly recommend putting in the 1911 buffers as well. Relatively cheap upgrades for you mini.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome from Texas!! I would add...be careful, these Mini's are highly addicting!! I've had mine about 3 weeks now, and I have a hard time leaving it alone. They are a whole lot of fun!!! Enjoy yours! :D

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I just got thru installing my Trueshot Technologies Barrel Stabilizer I haven't taken the time to try it out yet. But my Mini -14 Ranch Rifle Stainless is a 188 series also. My thoughts on helping out anything would first start out with a barrel strut or stabilizer. There are three that I know of the Accu-Strut & Mo-Rod and the Trueshot Technologies unit. This is the one I went with I am sure all three serve their purpose intended to stabilize the barrel. I cannot see a reason why you would need a rail on it with the nice Ruger Scope Rings that comes with a Ranch Rifle. I had 2 different 3-9x40 rifle scopes on but its totally up to the user to what scope you want. Personally I prefer a nice 2-7x32 rifle scope I found a nice used Redfield Widefield 2-7x32 scope and that's what I currently have mounted on my rifle. Its currently bore sighted I just have to fine tune it in at the shooting range. The newer scopes Leupold/Redfield the US made units and then Nikon & Vortex are also very nice. For the dollars spent on a new scope I would buy either a Nikon or Vortex both top quality scopes. Good Luck to you but get the most effective modification for the money spent and the Barrel Stabilizer of Barrel Strut is the best way to go for under $120.00 Good Luck to you!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great choice of 1st gun

Mini-14 Series 188 was my second rifle. Great gun, fun to shoot, and plenty accurate for what it was designed to do. It is also a great gun to sporterize and/or accurize. The Mini-14 can be made better just by adjusting it to accommodate how you are planning to use it. Figure out what ammo it likes and then tighten up the "looseness" in the design. Ruger traded off some of the accuracy to make it more tolerant of a wider range of ammo. That is why it ejects brass a country mile. That goes away when you accurize around ammo that your gun likes.

I'm no gun expert but I DO know the guns that I own very well and so far, the advice on this thread has been spot on. I bought mine used in 2006 soon discovering that it wasn't very accurate. It became a fun project figuring out why and how to fix it on the cheap. It's mostly due to the thin "whippy" barrel and over-powered gas recycling. "Light and reliable" required a few design trade-offs which can be addressed.

Like everyone else it seems, I added an Accu-Strut to stabilize the barrel which is the key problem. I also glass-bedded the receiver (which didn't hurt), added 1911 recoil buffers front and rear to cushion the "clanging" vibrations and changed the gas bushing from the OEM 0.1" to 0.045" to further stabilize the barrel by greatly reducing the vibration and harmonics being sent up the barrel in the first place. Quieter receiver firing into a more rigid barrel. This also saved me mucho dinero on cab fare when retrieving my brass. I also refinished the birch stock (but be warned, birch is very, very hard to refinish satisfactorily). I had the patience and determination to suffer through a very difficult learning experience. The results were worth it. Looks great now.

All in all, between buying the gun and the mods, I spent around $600-650 and it now shoots at least as well as the new Mini 14s out of the box. I probably have it down to around 3-4 MOA which is all you should be expecting. You can certainly find gunsmiths who can make it shoot much better but it will cost you.

The Mini-14, like the AR15, was not designed to be a tack driver. You can maybe get it down to under 2 MOA if you want to spend the bucks. You will also read a lot of commenters claiming sub MOA accuracy but I would have to see it to believe it. Besides, you can buy a Savage 11 or Remington 700, tack drivers right out of the box, for about $700. So if you were expecting a tack driver, you bought the wrong gun. I love mine.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Of all the .223 rifles own I prefer my Mini-14 to all of them. BTW I've got a bi-pod affixed to mine and didn't notice the added weight to be a detriment. I do a lot of my shooting from a bench, or prone out. Incidentally I have all the modifications on my 186 blued model you can think of, and yes it is a great varmint rifle, and target shooter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mini 14 failure

582 series mini catastrophic failure. I had my mini blow up while at the range. I have sent the rifle back to Ruger and they told me that it is reparable and they are going to sell me one at a discounted price. They did not tell me what they think caused the failure. I have been told it looks like a ammunition issue, but if you look at the picture of the breach it looks like metal failure to me. I was shooting ARMSCOR and PMC 5.56 55gr boat tail I am not sure what type of ammo was in during the failure. It cracked the bolt, breach, cracked the stock, bent the action rod and blew the magazine apart. I was wearing PPE so I just got some minor burns. Has anyone else seen or know of this. I was told if I would have had an aluminum receiver I would have more than powder burns.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bgeno is on a distinguished road
Mini 14 failure
582 series mini catastrophic failure. I had my mini blow up while at the range. I have sent the rifle back to Ruger and they told me that it is reparable and they are going to sell me one at a discounted price............ The way I read this is the gun is repairable and they are going to send u a new one at a discount. If Ruger can fix it , then why the new gun. Did I read something wrong!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I apologize I missed saying not reparable. That is the same thing my local gun smith told me when I took it to him the day it happened. The barrel was not obstructed. I am trying to get Ruger to tell me what they think. I also wish I new whether it was the PMC or the AMSCOR ammunition I was using. the day it happened the last thing on my mind at the range was that. I am looking for anyone who has seen this before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Got an awesome deal on a Redfield scope today. Have it mounted with the factory scope rings. Are ejected casings going to cause in issue? Suggestion on ss barrel stabilizer or black? Think the black might be a cool contrast against the ss barrel, especially since I couldn't find a silver scope

1 - 20 of 64 Posts