Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been acquiring some Ruger handguns as of late. Yesterday I traded for a stainless .357 Blackhawk. I know they made a convertible with a 9mm cylinder. Can I simply order a 9mm cylinder and put it in my gun? Second question is the gun seems a little loose on lockup but shoots fine. My only other single action in a new bearcat seems a little loose also. Are single actions looser than their double action brothers?

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Each cylinder for a convertible must be machined to fit that gun. The cylinders come from Ruger with the last three digits of the gun's serial number engraved in the cylinders. While it looked like a simple swap and that the cylinders would be a simple thing to swap from one gun to another they are NOT.

·
Banned
650 Posts
You have a nice gun right now as it is configured. I have a Blackhawk Convertible. I shot enough 9mm ammo from the 9mm cylinder to be sure it functions well, then I have not used it again. The 357 mag is to much fun to mess with the 9mm.

Here is a good bargain on 357 mag ammo. You get free shipping on your first order. Freedom Munitions also has 500 and 1,000 round packs in stock. This is new brass. You get an XTP load for about the same price as ball ammo. This ammo is comparable to Hornady Custom.
https://www.freedommunitions.com/357-MAG-158-gr-XTP-New-p/fm357j158n-b0250.htm

One thing Ruger is known for is inconsistent cylinder sizing. You need to make sure you do not have a sticky cylinder that is hard to expel the spent brass. Then you need to mark one cylinder and fire the gun. If you have one cylinder that consistently shoots a flyer you need to ream the cylinders. Reaming and chamfering the cylinders is not a bad idea. I had my cylinders reamed and chamfered. I really do not need the push rod to dump the empty hulls.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Old Crow, what brand is that ammo?
Freedom Munitions is the manufacturer. They offer ammo in New Brass or Remanufactured Ammo (in previously used brass).

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Why would you try to get a great bargain on .357 ammo when you can just shoot cheap .38 spl's in it?

Still not as cheap as shooting 9mm, but way cheaper than .357

I find that a good 9mm load feels more like a .38+p load in my convertible. Sort of a middle ground between .38 and .357, and the least expensive to shoot.

More educated minds than mine tell me that 9mm is not as accurate as .38 in a convertible, but I'm not good enough to be able to tell the difference.

Reactions: moakes58

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Why would you try to get a great bargain on .357 ammo when you can just shoot cheap .38 spl's in it?

I find that a good 9mm load feels more like a .38+p load in my convertible. Sort of a middle ground between .38 and .357, and the least expensive to shoot.

More educated minds than mine tell me that 9mm is not as accurate as .38 in a convertible, but I'm not good enough to be able to tell the difference.
+1! Well said!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I hop I'm doing this right, i have a question. Will grips from a Ruger nm super blackhawk fit a Ruger new vaquero?

I have a new model Blackhawk convertible 357/9mm, blued. I have tried 2 times to get the fake ivory grips to fit this gun and have failed both times. (from Ruger) Seems there have been a number of changes in the grip frames over the years and even the people that take your phone order do not know what fits what. FWIW I was told by a Ruger tech at the repair facility that there is a difference in new Blackhawk grip frame between the stainless and blued versions.
I have given up for now.:mad:

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I hop I'm doing this right, i have a question. Will grips from a Ruger nm super blackhawk fit a Ruger new vaquero?

You should have started a new thread because you changed subjects from the topic.. But the short answer is no.
SBH with 5 1/2" barrel or less have XR3-RED size grip frames; same as Blackhawks, Single sixes and original Vaqueros.

New Vaqueros and New Flat Top Blackhawks have the XR3 size.

Don't pay any attention to the casting number on the grip frame; it won't give you the size w/o a casting # chart which I can post if you want it.

This will help you the most:

Even if the grips sent are the correct size for your gun, they will not fit that great unless you're very lucky.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I was told by a Ruger tech at the repair facility that there is a difference in new Blackhawk grip frame between the stainless and blued versions.
The difference is as shown above based on the model; this is true of both blue and stainless guns.

The Ruger tech rep was referring to the fact that stainless grip frames tend to be shaped a little less than the blue guns and generally run a bit larger. But the same grip size applies to blue and stainless guns, if the same model.

·
Banned
650 Posts

Where are you finding this cheap 38spl ammo at? I posted a link to the price of the 357 ammo. All you posted is your opinion and preference. I bought a 357 magnum to shoot 357 mag ammo. If I wanted to shoot 38 special ammo I would have bought a 38spl. Pistols chambered in 38spl are generally a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where are you finding this cheap 38spl ammo at? I posted a link to the price of the 357 ammo. All you posted is your opinion and preference. I bought a 357 magnum to shoot 357 mag ammo. If I wanted to shoot 38 special ammo I would have bought a 38spl. Pistols chambered in 38spl are generally a lot cheaper.
I am picking up Federal American Eagle 38 SPL for just over $300 per case and Federal American Eagle .357 Mag for just under $400 per case through my gun broker. I bought my NMBH in .357 because I knew I could shoot .357 Mag, 38 SPL, and 9mm out of the same gun.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Different grips for same model depending on backstrap

I have bought a new model Blackhawk with the OEM cowboy grips. I then purchased (from a well known Supplier) Hogue finger-grooved rubber grips Hogue number 83000, but they did NOT fit although the Online Supplier had assured me they would (I had asked them to make sure.)
Then, talking with Hogue, they tell me that their rubber grip 83000 will fit the NM BH with a 1/2" wide backstrap. Mine has a 7/16" bakstrap.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
3strokes,

That's because you don't have a NM Blackhawk, you have a NM FLAT TOP Blackhawk. Using the correct model names is important! They properly identify the cylinder frame and grip frame sizes for ordering the right parts, etc.

·
Registered
450 Posts
3strokes,

That's because you don't have a NM Blackhawk, you have a NM FLAT TOP Blackhawk. Using the correct model names is important! They properly identify the cylinder frame and grip frame sizes for ordering the right parts, etc.
Thank you for pointing this out.
I had no idea. I ordered from the dealer a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357/9mm convertible. Neither Brownells nor Hogue mentioned FLAT TOP

The Ruger website makes no mention of FLAT TOP anywhere in their chapter under "Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible" which has four sections:
Blued, Convertible, Stainless and Bisley.
None of the models shown under Convertible makes any mention of FLAT TOP.

The gun itself is etched with New Model Blackhawk. No FLAT TOP mentioned.

Do I have in my hands a Unique Ruger Original that exists nowhere else?
Is it worth millions?
:eek:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Not a fan of rubber finger grips on any Blackhawk, just me! The flattops sport the mid-frame or XR3 if I'm not mistaken...it can be confusing! GL!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Thank you for pointing this out.
I had no idea. I ordered from the dealer a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357/9mm convertible. Neither Brownells nor Hogue mentioned FLAT TOP

The Ruger website makes no mention of FLAT TOP anywhere in their chapter under "Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible" which has four sections:
Blued, Convertible, Stainless and Bisley.
None of the models shown under Convertible makes any mention of FLAT TOP.

The gun itself is etched with New Model Blackhawk. No FLAT TOP mentioned.

Do I have in my hands a Unique Ruger Original that exists nowhere else?
Is it worth millions?
:eek:
It doesn't say Deluxe, Last Cowboy, Toklat, Kodiak Backpacker, Birdshead, Hunter, Competition, Government... Etc on any of my other distributor exclusive models or their paperwork either... But that's what they are.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts