Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I need some help giving a value on a blued new model Blackhawk 357. My friend at work asked me if I could go over four pistols and clean them so they can be sold. All four are my friends mother-in-laws, and she doesn't have the first clue about guns, so that's where I come in.

Conundrum? I want this blackhawk pretty bad to go with my other ones. The pistol its self is in relatively good shape, but some parts are in terrible shape. First off are the grip panels which are both broken and come no where near fitting the frame. Next is the grip frame, I've never owned a ruger with such a crude fit and finish which is somewhat leading me to believe the grip frame has been replaced. Third is the hammer which has quite a bit of rust where it isn't blued. Last, the pistol is dirty as hell and the action has a hitch while cocking the hammer, which I believe is due to being dirty. So with this in mind does anyone have any ideas on the value in this condition? It's hard to pin down since you don't see very many Blackhawks for sell with the exact same problem.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks all

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's only letting me upload one photo for whatever reason so I will keep trying to upload photos as we go. Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
1) The rust on the hammer isn't a big deal. The hammer is a flat piece of steel so you can just refinish it by putting a piece of 600 sand paper on a flat (and I mean FLAT) surface with some oil and go to it. If nothing else, the gun is current production so just replace it.

2) As I look under your thumb, it looks like the grips don't even cover the grip frame there. So the lack of fit at the top becomes minor. Remove the grips and look for markings on the grip frame. It should be XR3 or XR3-RED. There are documentation around for that. Just use the search tool.

3) Assuming the rest of the bluing is ok, the next BIG question is the condition of the bore and cylinders. If they're rusted out beyond cleaning, there's really not much value left.

I don't think you've uncovered everything yet.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Ok, so you're in for some new grips. They're not that hard to find. But you really need to know what the markings on the grip frame are so you get the correct ones to match.

You can take the SN and go to the Ruger website and see when the gun was made too (unlike S&W).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spike, thanks for the quick reply. I've had to clean a few hammers so I'm not worried about that but I think I'm going to try and purchase it so if it knocks off 10 bucks then good. No the grips don't fit the grip frame and of course they are broke which is also a none issue because I have a few extras.

The barrel and cylinder are in very good shape and the bluing is fair to good, it has a few nicks in it. I don't think the revolver was abused I think it was just not used and set in a dresser draw. The thing that really gets me is the fit on the grip frame to the action, I think I could have made it look better with a wood rasp. The harder to replace parts of the gun seem to be in good working order and I have shot probably 50 rounds through it. I believe it is just the grip panels and grip frame not fitting up that needs some attention.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The grip frame should fit fairly well. The picture you showed of the top fit where the two screws are on either side of the hammer doesn't look exceptionally bad for Ruger to me. Remember this is a production gun.

How's the fit forward of the trigger guard?

Give that these are production guns your grips ARE poorly fitted even for Ruger standards. I have 2 SA Rugers; OM Blackhawk and a Single Six and my grips are WAY better than yours for fit.

My *guess* would be that you've got the proper XR3 frame, something happened to the original grips (or wrong wood) and they tried to put XR3-RED wood on there. There's a diagram around that would show exactly that kind of mis-fit as I remember.

Being a very popular gun and having been in production for a long time there are tons of aftermarket and original grips available for short money. Ebay, believe it or not, is actually a pretty good place to start. Search for Ruger Blackhawk Grips and I think you'll get more than enough hits.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies and advice spike but I'm really needing some opinions on what this gun is worth. I think I've got all the flaws figured out and I have all the parts on hand so I can bring this gun up to %100. I really need to know a good fair price.

After taking the grip frame off of the action, and going through some of the easier things to get to these are the parts I would for sure replace.

1 grip panels
2 cylinder pawl
3 pawl spring
4 replace hammer or at least take the hammer off and polish it like spike recommended.
5 main spring and strut, the strut looks bent slightly and it's causing a hitch or hard spot while cocking the trigger.
6 I know this isn't replacing anything but the pistol is filthy and needs a deep clean.

I have on hand every part I mentioned above except a main spring (I have an extra strut). So whatever I pay for the gun is all I'll have in it, and it will be up to snuff except for some minor bluing wear and a few tiny scratches. Oh and the bore and cylinder are in excellent condition

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd pass on that revolver. It looks like a hobbled together parts gun. Nothing fits like a regular Ruger.

Why are the rear grip frame screw holes by the hammer filled in like that?
In the first picture. Maybe it's just the picture but it looks like there's something filling in the hole above the grip screw.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It definitely looks to me like the grip frame has been replaced I know ruger isn't known for fitting but this is pretty bad. Even with that I think I'll make an offer even if I got a new grip frame Ive still got a good deal but it's gonna be carried and hunted with so fit and finish aren't at the top of my priorities. I'm thinking $200 to $225 if I get into it for that I think I'm doing ok.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and there's nothing in the rear grip screws I guess it's just the picture. The gun has everything it's supposed to and nothing it's not supposed to have.

·
Administrator
22,477 Posts
It definitely looks to me like the grip frame has been replaced I know ruger isn't known for fitting but this is pretty bad. Even with that I think I'll make an offer even if I got a new grip frame Ive still got a good deal but it's gonna be carried and hunted with so fit and finish aren't at the top of my priorities. I'm thinking $200 to $225 if I get into it for that I think I'm doing ok.
I think $200 is the absolute max. I would look more in the $180-200 range.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Definitely a fixer upper and again I have everything on hand except the grip frame. So I'll only have $200 or whatever I pay in it, and it's a nice pistol to play big brother to my blued 4 5/8 3 screw and stainless 4 5/8 new model. I seen a Blackhawk the other day that had a stainless grip frame on a blued action and it was pretty sharp, this would make a good revolver for that project, the action cylinder and barrel really are in great shape. I would like to try my hand a fitting a grip frame too, I've done smaller parts and grips but I've never tried anything this big that has as large of an aesthetic appeal.

Thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts