Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to the forum but I have owned many Mini 14,30's and single action revolvers over the years. I just purchased a New Model Super Blackhawk Hunter with a 5-1"/2" barrel from a local gun shop. It has all the original packaging and shows that it was made in 2004 and it is a model 00860. What has me confused is that I have search the Internet and I cannot find this model anywhere with that barrel length. All the search come back as 7" + barrels. I thought maybe the original owner had it shortened, but it fits perfectly in the original case. Does anybody out there know the history of this model?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
If the end label has the serial number and says Model 0860 then the most logical explanation would be someone cut the barrel down from 7.5" to 5.5". The Model 0860 has a 7.5" barrel. Is the front sight the factory designed interchangeable type with a spring loaded pin in the muzzle? What does the box or case look like? Plastic case made by Flambeau or something else?

Just to make sure - are you measuring barrel length from the face of the cylinder or front of the frame?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super Blackhawk Hunter

If the end label has the serial number and says Model 0860 then the most logical explanation would be someone cut the barrel down from 7.5" to 5.5". The Model 0860 has a 7.5" barrel. Is the front sight the factory designed interchangeable type with a spring loaded pin in the muzzle? What does the box or case look like? Plastic case made by Flambeau or something else?

Just to make sure - are you measuring barrel length from the face of the cylinder or front of the frame?
Thanks for responding. The front sight is as you described, interchangeable. I incorrectly measured from the face of the frame so it is 6" barrel. The base is the Ruger plastic grey case and it seems to be the original case. The searches run still only return 7.5 barrels. I am not complaining...the shorter barrel is what caught my eye to begin with. I am just wondering if this was a limited run or something.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
If it was a factory run it should be a different model than the 0860. Does the gray plastic box have the end label with serial number and model number? If there is no end label then a call to Ruger may be a good idea and ask them what your serial number corresponds to for a model number.

6" is an odd barrel length for Ruger SA revolvers. Standard lengths are 3.75, 4.62, 5.5, 6.5, 7.5 and 10.5 inches. Your barrel may have been cut and the front sight duplicated. The front sight requires a hole for the spring and plunger and milling the dovetail for the sight. Not terribly hard for a competent gunsmith to do.

It's an interesting puzzle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts