Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a new (to me) Single Six with the Magnum cylinder - my question was is there a typo in the manual? It reads on page 13

"WARNING: Fire only 22 WMRF cartridges in the MAGNUM cylinder. Do not fire
.22 Short, Long or Long Rifle cartridges in the MAGNUM cylinder. Such
cartridges will burst and can cause injury to the shooter and persons nearby."

isn't that backward? I had a .357 magnum that I shot .38spl through all the time. Seems like .22 would be able to go through the .22mag cylinder with no issue.

Only shot it once and I like it very much.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
That's a good question. Thanks for asking.

Unlike the 38 Special and 357 Mganum, the 22 LR and 22 mag have a different case diameter. The 22 mag has a slightly larger case diameter than the 22 LR (try sticking a 22 mag round in the 22 LR cylinder and you'll see), so if you shoot a 22 LR in the mag cylinder, you can get hot gases blowing back and leaking around the case which can be dangerous to the shooter. It can also lead to ruptured 22 LR cases for the same reason. It's not like the cylinder will blow up or anything, but it is just not a safe thing to do. Even if it were safe, accuracy would be less than desirable - you need a good, consistent tight fit for the case in the chamber for best accuracy.

Now, you can shoot the old 22 WRF in the mag cylinder, same as shooting the 38 in the 357 because the 22 mag is a lengthened 22 WRF. Kind of a moot point, given that finding 22 WRF ammo is a challenge, these days. I do see some 22 WRF at guns shows, now and then, however.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Congrats on the new Single Six! North country gal pretty much covered the question.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks that helps.
Looking forward to more range time with it... Only thing is it's a process to load and unload... But who doesn't love shooting a cowboy revolver?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been hooked on the rimfire single sixes since Dad first let me shoot his. That was back about 1973 or '74. The first handgun I bought for myself was a new model single six, and I haven't been without one since.

NCG is on the money about the cases being different, so are the bullets. Both have an outer diameter of about 0.223 inches. The LR uses what is called a heeled bullet. That means that the base of the bullet is a smaller diameter than the driving band. That reduced size part sits inside the case, while the larger driving band is outside the case. The case and driving band are the same size. A .22 Magnum has a bullet seated like center fire straight walled cases, and it does not rely on the heel of the bullet to fit the chamber.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Doug,

North County Girl makes a good point and not so moot currently.

Although obsolete for many years, now that they are produced again, you can safely shoot .22 WRF in the Mag cyl. CCI and Winchester make some great loads. That's exactly like your 38/357 analogy. Save a few bucks too with almost similar performance. They have actually been easier to find than LR and Mag ammo due to the hoarding of LR and Mag cartridges going on.

Jim

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I first started shooting I accidentally shot some 22lr in the mag cylinder. I realized my mistake when I noticed I was having trouble removing the spent shell casings. Thankfully no harm done and I learned a valuable lesson.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Doug,

North County Girl makes a good point and not so moot currently.

Although obsolete for many years, now that they are produced again, you can safely shoot .22 WRF in the Mag cyl. CCI and Winchester make some great loads. That's exactly like your 38/357 analogy. Save a few bucks too with almost similar performance. They have actually been easier to find than LR and Mag ammo due to the hoarding of LR and Mag cartridges going on.

Jim
Thanks for the heads up on the 22 WRF, Jim. May have to go looking for some. If nothing else, be a great excuse to add a Single Six to the collection, again. :)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,181 Posts
I picked up a couple boxes of 22 WRFs at a recent gun show. I chronographed them in my Winchester Mod 9422M and found the velocity was nearly identical to "Standard Velocity" 22 LRs ... about 1085 fps in my particular rifle. The bullets are just a bit heavier ... 45 gr versus 40 gr for Standard Velocity 22 LRs. They seemed to be quite accurate at 50 yards in my Winchester, however I had to operate the lever very carefully to get them to feed properly. I tried a few cylinder's full in one of my Single-Sixes using the Mag cylinder and found they were a bit more accurate than 22 LRs in my 22 LR cylinder. I didn't chronograph the 22 WRFs in my Single-Six but I suspect they will be a tad slower than High Velocity 22 LRs and will likely be about the same as Standard Velocity 22 LRs, just as they were in my rifle.

BTW, 22 WRFs and WMRs have .224" bullets whereas 22 LRs are supposed to have .222" bullets, but are often larger in bulk grade ammo. 22 LR brass case diameter measures .222", whereas 22 WMRs and WRFs cases measure .242". This is the very reason why you don't want to shoot 22 LRs in a Magnum cylinder ... the extra .020" chamber diameter will cause 22 LR cases to split and blow back nasty hot stuff in your face. Next time I get a chance to buy 22 WRFs, I'll pick up some more just for grins.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Initially CCI issued a couple of different loadings for the 22 WRF, one writer even touting the hottest one as a self Defense load (that makes me chuckle just a bit).

The only load I've been able to locate recently however, is rated (over-rated?) 1300 FPS, undoubtedly in a rifle. If I had to guess with a gun to my head, I'd say they've made irregular production runs, and they're not fulltime production cartridges.

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
just got a new (to me) Single Six with the Magnum cylinder - my question was is there a typo in the manual? It reads on page 13

"WARNING: Fire only 22 WMRF cartridges in the MAGNUM cylinder. Do not fire
.22 Short, Long or Long Rifle cartridges in the MAGNUM cylinder. Such
cartridges will burst and can cause injury to the shooter and persons nearby."

isn't that backward? I had a .357 magnum that I shot .38spl through all the time. Seems like .22 would be able to go through the .22mag cylinder with no issue.

Only shot it once and I like it very much.
No,NO,NO...there is a reason they use two cylinders....the 22 WRM is "bigger" than the .22 LR in diameter...it will not chamber in a proper sized .22 LR cylinder. Do not put .22LR in a Magnum cylinder. It will not support the cartridge properly and they could burst upon firing!

·
16,181 Posts
Snake, It would be nice if you would read the previous posts before you answer. Your post is correct but it says the same thing as NCG posted 6 years ago.

·
Registered
977 Posts
As has been pointed out, the .22 WRF, fired in the magnum cylinder, gives about the same performance as the .22 L.R. in the Long Rifle cylinder. I used the WRF in my Ruger Super Single Six with magnum cylinder for squirrel hunting. Why? The slightly larger cartridges were easier to handle with cold hands. When my hands were cold, those tiny .22 L.R. cartridges were more easily fumbled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As has been pointed out, the .22 WRF, fired in the magnum cylinder, gives about the same performance as the .22 L.R. in the Long Rifle cylinder. I used the WRF in my Ruger Super Single Six with magnum cylinder for squirrel hunting. Why? The slightly larger cartridges were easier to handle with cold hands. When my hands were cold, those tiny .22 L.R. cartridges were more easily fumbled.
II respetfully disagree with your assessment of performance. Every ballistic chart i have read shows the muzzle velocity and energy of the WRM to be substantially more than the .22LR, at least double!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Burst rimfire casings and the resultant possibility of shrapnel is a perfect reasoning for ALWAYS wearing shooting glasses when on the firing line.
I was given a not-to-subtle reminder while test firing a .22LR rifle that I had just purchased and DIDN'T perform an extreme cleaning to ( ALWAYS-ALWAYS perform excessive/anal cleaning of new-to-you firearms).
Oversize chambers, fouled chambers, questionable ammo, ALL have the possibility of allowing out-of-battery-discharge and the like, and -can- abruptly put END to your range day!
Be safe -and- aware. Take NOTHING for granted.

·
16,181 Posts
Snake, Maybe you are not aware ..... the 22 WRF is a cartridge much like a 22 LR. It is sold in standard velocity (about 1050 fps from a 24" rifle, 45 gr bullet), high velocity 45 gr bullet (1450 fps from a 24" barrel) and a high velocity 40gr hollow point bullet that runs 1450 fps from a 24" barrel. The case on this cartridge is the same diameter as a 22 Mag .... just shorter in length but with a .224" bullet so it will work just fine in a 22 WRM cylinder. The 22 MAG (22 WRM) is indeed way more powerful than a 22 LR or 22 WRF. Too many Ws and Rs to keep track of!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Snake, Maybe you are not aware ..... the 22 WRF is a cartridge much like a 22 LR. It is sold in standard velocity (about 1050 fps from a 24" rifle, 45 gr bullet), high velocity 45 gr bullet (1450 fps from a 24" barrel) and a high velocity 40gr hollow point bullet that runs 1450 fps from a 24" barrel. The case on this cartridge is the same diameter as a 22 Mag .... just shorter in length but with a .224" bullet so it will work just fine in a 22 WRM cylinder. The 22 MAG (22 WRM) is indeed way more powerful than a 22 LR or 22 WRF. Too many Ws and Rs to keep track of!
Yes, I agree...the .22 Mag WRM is much more popular today, and was the one I was referring too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts