Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after enough lurking and drooling over everyone else's Vaqueros, I finally made a down payment today on a stainless 45 Colt with a 4.62" barrel. I'll mainly use this in Cowboy Fast Draw. Unfortunately, I can't pick it up for another 10 days. Stupid California laws. Those that live here know my pain. It makes me feel like a kid counting down the days till Christmas again. Haha. Now it's time to design me a fast draw rig and get started on that during the 10 day wait. Please share any knowledge you have on parts and such. I'll be looking to change the grips right away. I'd also be interested in putting on a birds head grip frame if you know anything about that.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for the link on the rig, but I'll be designing and making my own.
Thats great! Im not sure of the quality of the ebay rig. I own the El Paso one. Great quality.

My first western rig was a cheap one from a gun show, it feels cheap after getting the el paso.

If your doing fast draw you need a good holster.

Post pics of it when you do. And do you have any you made already?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thats great! Im not sure of the quality of the ebay rig. I own the El Paso one. Great quality.

My first western rig was a cheap one from a gun show, it feels cheap after getting the el paso.

If your doing fast draw you need a good holster.

Post pics of it when you do. And do you have any you made already?
I've only done one western rig and it was for a buddie's Super Blackhawk. I do a lot of holsters for semi autos, but my passion is western.
Here's the link to the thread/photos: http://rugerforum.net/projects/58757-western-rig-super-blackhawk.html

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
With the exception of color, it looks like the one on the cover of the book "Packing Iron" by Richard Rattenbury.
Your right, if it's not the same, it's very, very similiar.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
You'll enjoy your .45 Colt New Vaquero :) . I have an original Vaquero and it probably gets shot the most.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll enjoy your .45 Colt New Vaquero :) . I have an original Vaquero and it probably gets shot the most.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to stepping up from a single action cap gun to the real thing. My childhood dreams are finally coming true. Haha.

Oh, I had to edit my my original post to read "45 Colt" vise "45lc". Why is it that there's a difference in the terminology? I see 45lc all the time from firearms manufacturers to ammunition manufacturers?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, after enough lurking and drooling over everyone else's Vaqueros, I finally made a down payment today on a stainless 45 Colt with a 4.62" barrel. I'll mainly use this in Cowboy Fast Draw. Unfortunately, I can't pick it up for another 10 days. Stupid California laws. Those that live here know my pain. It makes me feel like a kid counting down the days till Christmas again. Haha. Now it's time to design me a fast draw rig and get started on that during the 10 day wait. Please share any knowledge you have on parts and such. I'll be looking to change the grips right away. I'd also be interested in putting on a birds head grip frame if you know anything about that.
I lived in calif for 40 + years , so yes i do know you pain , Moved to N.Utah 7 years ago . love it here . 15 minute out the door with a new gun .

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Thanks! I'm looking forward to stepping up from a single action cap gun to the real thing. My childhood dreams are finally coming true. Haha.

Oh, I had to edit my my original post to read "45 Colt" vise "45lc". Why is it that there's a difference in the terminology? I see 45lc all the time from firearms manufacturers to ammunition manufacturers?
Congratulations, I have the same Vaquero. You're right, they do make the terminology confusing. They are really Colt 45 but some people tack on the LC to attempt to avoid confusion with the .45 ACP. To me Colt 45 just sounds right. I had my holster made by a local man that is a retired Hollywood Gunslinger. He put a pretty good amount of rear cant on it for fast draw and I had him build it with a drop loop since I don't plan on competing with it. I guess I just like the drop loop better because of growing up with Westerns. Enjoy your new Vaquero.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The designation ".45 Long Colt", sometimes abbreviated as ".45 LC", originated among military personnel to prevent confusion with the shorter-cased .45 Schofield which was also used in .45 Colt SAA revolvers by the US military. It has become a popular, yet improper, name for the cartridge.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The designation ".45 Long Colt", sometimes abbreviated as ".45 LC", originated among military personnel to prevent confusion with the shorter-cased .45 Schofield which was also used in .45 Colt SAA revolvers by the US military. It has become a popular, yet improper, name for the cartridge.
I love learning something new. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice. How did you get into the hobby?
Thanks. Well, a couple years ago I bought a starter kit and wanted to get into bike seats. That flopped. Earlier this year I bought my first pistol and was looking for a holster. It was a fairly new model pistol and not many holsters were on the market, so one of my buddies suggested I just make one since I had the tools. So, that's how it started. I made me a holster and my buddy liked it so he asked me to make him a left handed holster for his. After that it just started to take off.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks. Well, a couple years ago I bought a starter kit and wanted to get into bike seats. That flopped. Earlier this year I bought my first pistol and was looking for a holster. It was a fairly new model pistol and not many holsters were on the market, so one of my buddies suggested I just make one since I had the tools. So, that's how it started. I made me a holster and my buddy liked it so he asked me to make him a left handed holster for his. After that it just started to take off.
You do nice work. Are you going to start a webpage for people interested in a holster or rig?

Also are you going to compete in fast draw? I wopuld like to see the rig you make for it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You do nice work. Are you going to start a webpage for people interested in a holster or rig?

Also are you going to compete in fast draw? I wopuld like to see the rig you make for it.
Thanks for the compliment. I haven't looked into starting a web page. Not sure if I'm ready for that just yet.

I do plan on competing in Cowboy Fast Draw. The local club Bar T Gunfighters has a shoot this weekend and I'm looking forward to getting involved.
When the rig is done I'll definitely post some pics.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Hey Country! Congrats on your new Vaquero! Good luck & happy shootin' ;)

I have (2) .45 S/A's myself. I love the shootin' the .45 Colt cartridge.

Hope your ten day wait goes fast, send us some pix when you can.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Country! Congrats on your new Vaquero! Good luck & happy shootin' ;)

I have (2) .45 S/A's myself. I love the shootin' the .45 Colt cartridge.

Hope your ten day wait goes fast, send us some pix when you can.
Thanks JK. I'll be sure to update this thread on the 8th, pick up day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts