Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all this happen,s to be my first post here!. I just brought two no-1s varmintersl. One in 223 and other in 22-250. The 223 I once owned before, about two years ago. I foolishly sold it to buy another rifle! Well I missed that no-1 223 , so I managed to track it down through the web and persuade the owner to sell it back to me. He hadn't even fired a shot with it (to many rifles) Any way glad to have her back as she shoots 1/2 inch groups with 28gr of ww748 with a 40gr vmax. I have floated the forearm plus placed A small packer between the hanger and the barrel !
The 22-250 I haven,t shot yet. Not to sure were to start with hand loads , so I,ll loaded up some 40gr vmaxs and some 50gr blitz. With o/a Length I,ll have started 20tho off the lands! hope thats A good place to start.
Way out to shoot some bunnies tomorrow with both. Should be interesting!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
giday bro welcome from across the ditch sweet rifles lad my no1V223 is grand like yours I will post a pic for yer later. I have just got it shootin my reloads nice last few months will send the load details with the pic as well er um which is the 233 and which is the 22,250.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Welcome from the other side of the Tasman mate.
Good mate in Kiwihunter on forum.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Very versatile calibres, and good ending to your tale. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
giday bro welcome from across the ditch sweet rifles lad my no1V223 is grand like yours I will post a pic for yer later. I have just got it shootin my reloads nice last few months will send the load details with the pic as well er um which is the 233 and which is the 22,250.
Hi again the one closest with the nice wood is the 223 , I just try-ed some benchmark in it yesterday, very impressed with the outcome. With a 40gr vmax 2270 o/a 20 off the lands!. gave me a 10mm 5 shot group from a clean barrel . velocity was 3680fps, primers starting to flatten a wee bit. Need to do something with the trigger tho, hell of A heavy! . Love to see a pic of your plus loads. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I,m overwhelmed with all the replies so soon!. Also thanks for the warm welcome!
I do have A few questions if any body can help if thats ok. being a single shot is there a special bore guild I can use ,as there,s no way of holding my normal bolt action one in the action!. Also the trigger...
(2002 model) Ive had A gunsmith try to lighten it. Couldn't,t do much with it. Still far to heavy for A varmint rifle. Any ideas?
Here,s A few pics of my shooting vantage point yesterday. plenty of rabbits about. The power pole is about 200 meters. The second pic is A v/t 204 I had converted with a full over barrel suppressor. sounds much like a 22lr, impacts can be seen easily through a 20 power scope! I have some video footage I could post on you tube of the 204 in action from that spot if anybody is interested. Maybe I could post A link. regards

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Heres mine lad.

Reload is old winny case with 25g of AR2206H and Nosler balistic tips 55g told on paper that pushes 3175fps very happy with this as it took some time to get the right recipe for consistant shots
The target seen was from weekend I was tweaking it back to zero @100m so a few sprays 1st as it was set up at 500m before wound it in just right. after that it shot 300m consistant and easy.
I was lucky the rifle had fitted a Kepplinger set trigger its really good they are wee expensive but consider as option.
scopes a leo 6.5x20 40mm its a bit hubble tele big but my eyes need it. :)
I did have to rub away some forestock as well as some shot stringing was going on now all good

that looks like picture perfect varimit shootin land & your NZ gun laws allow suppressers oh much envy.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
There's nothing like a No.1. Congrats on the re-gain. Beautiful rifles and some fine country.

·
Registered
134 Posts
CONGRATS!!!!!!! Which one is the No. 1 you have your post # 11? That is one fine looking No. 1 with a fantatic looking stock! Congratulations! I purchased my first No. 1 about 2 months ago. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. :) Again, congrats!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.