Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha All,

I just added my first revolver to the family. We have a LC380 for the Wifey and I own the 9mm Ruger SR9.

Today I stepped up and pulled the trigger on the GP100 Master with the satin finish and the adjustable sights.

The price was only 100 bucks more than the regular GP100 so I got lucky.

It's nice not to see all that info on the barrel.

Glad to be here and discuss trigger options.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Congrats on the GP100, great revolver, love mine.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Congrats on the GP. They are well built and fun shooters. Enjoy and shoot often.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice wheel gun!

I have a Match Champion, but the first year with the fixed sights. I Love this gun, it is a great shooter.

I wish you the very best of luck with yours......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Question,

Would you use the wolf spring kit and replace the trigger and hammer springs??

I think going from 14 pounds down to 10 or 8 would be great and leaving alone the single action.

Bring on the comments please.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I picked up a MC with fixed sights about a month ago. It's my first full size revolver. I love it.

Initially, the double action trigger was a bit heavy. It exceeded the 10lb limit on my cheap Timney scale. My best guess was it was right at 12 lbs. The single action pull measured 4-4.25 lbs and was nice to shoot.

I ordered a Wolff Springs shooters pack to see what could be done. I installed the 10 lb hammer spring and the 8 lb trigger spring. DA pull immediately dropped to 8.75-9lbs with the SA pull just under 3 lbs. As I have shot it more the trigger has settled in at 8.5 DA and 2.75 SA. No reliability issues at all.

I temporarily installed the 9# hammer spring which dropped the trigger to 7.5 DA and 2.25 SA. I had some light strikes with this setup so I went back to the 10# hammer spring.

Hope this helps. Be safe and happy shooting!

·
Registered
135 Posts
You might start with only changing the hammer spring. It is very easy to do and will give you a noticeable improvement and some seem to prefer the trigger reset with the stock trigger spring. Changing the trigger spring is more involved, not necessarily hard, but certainly more effort.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you wanted to take it on, you could skeletonize the hammer some. The reduced mass will allow a much lighter spring to be just as effective, avoiding light primer strikes, and not losing your lock-up time. Must use a minimum of cobalt drill bits to drill the hammer, and counterrsink.

Also make sure you have polished all metal to metal contact points in the action, as well as lubed the contact points with a quality lube.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The spring kits are one of the easiest mods to use to improve the trigger pull on the GP100. The lighter hammer spring makes the biggest difference. You have to experiment with different weight of springs for your particular revolver. On my 5 in bbl GP100 I was able to go to a 9lb hammer and 8lb trigger spring and no miss fires. However, this revolver is used only at the range.

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Congratulations on your new GP100!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts