Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A few pics of my new p345. I took 100 fmj and 100 jhp loads to the range today to see what it could do. I saved 14 jhp or 2 clips worth for home defense, So i went thru 186 rounds. This was the first time i had shot a gun in 10 years. I just picked it up new yesterday.

I only had one failure to eject. That fte was on the 4th clip. I limp wristed (very limp) the whole 4th clip to see if it would fail. It shot all 7 rounds but the last one got hung up going out. I pulled the trigger 186 times today and the gun went bang 186 times. Not bad for a new gun out of the box.

The picture of the target was my first 7 shots fired at 5 yards. I shot a few clips at 7, 10, and 15 yards, But most of the time i was at 5 yards. I got the p345 for home defense. I dont see a reson i would ever need to shoot a gun at over 15 feet to save my life. From my bed to my doorway is only 12 feet , So i kept it in the 5 yard range most of the day.

This gun is more accurate than me from the grouping they were getting in articles i looked at. At 15 yards i put 2 clips thru it and missed the paper 2 times (out of 14 shots) with 3 shots in the black. Those 2 shots were my only paper miss of the day. Not bad since i have not pulled a trigger in 10 years. Maby its me but 98% of my shots were 3 to 5 inches lower than where i was pointing the gun.

I gotta say the houge grip(pn# 17000) saved my hand. It was soft on my hand and after coming home i don't feel like i shot a 45 at all. Last night i got a callus on my hand just gripping the gun without the rubber grips. The rough checker patter under the trigger guard was what did it. Houge grip was the best 10 bucks i will ever spend on my gun. I thought this gun would have more kick than it did. It was very manageable even with my small hands.

All in all i love this gun. For home defense with the p345 i would aim for center mass unless you practice alot and know you can hit what you point at. The range by my house has classes for beginner, intermediate, and advanced hanguns. I plan on taking the next beginner class they have.

I am glad i picked this gun. Many people told me you cant go wrong with a ruger and they were right. I am now a ruger fan myself. I hope to God i never need to defend myself with a gun, But i now feel i can a little better. I am having a blast shooting paper with my P345. I hope to make it to the range once a week to get better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't use the key lock so it does not bother me. I also had no problem with the loaded chamber indicator. It is smaller than people made it out to be (go look at one up close). I may however clean the rear sight at a later time thou;).

I dont see this as a pocket gun. I dont know how people concel carry it. It seems kind of bulky and heavy for that imho. It was alot smaller to my eyes in the case than when i got it home. I live in illinois so i can't carry anyway thou. If i could i would get a .38 snub or a kel-tec p32 instead of this.

I am not sure what i want to put on the rail. a light would be nice and so would a lazer. I looked at a post on here about a m6x laser light combo. It looks big to me. Does it get dirty since the light sticks out in front of the barrel? What do you think about this one.

http://www.smartgunner.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1520

The down side is i would need to hold a light in my other hand. It almost seems not worth it since i would need both hands. How do you turn on the m6x? Any other light laser combo's i should take a look at?

·
Registered
693 Posts
No doubt, it's a nice pistol and pretty good shooter. Glad you joined us. Welcome aboard!

Forget about cheap stuff - it's no good. More-less reliable low-profiler is Uni-Max one can grab for $130-160 (http://www.lasermax.com/).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry blade i did an edit to my post while you were in the middle of your reply. Yeah i think i will skip the $30 non-adjust e-bay junk. Thanks for the link.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,490 Posts
dragunov, Before you run out and spend big $$$ on a light or laser, think about how you intend to use the pistol. The rail is a nice feature but once you hang a light/laser on it, you can forget about holstering it.

Lasers are great for a home defence gun but in your own home, you're way better off flipping the house lights on than to use a tactical light. Tac lights are great for law enforcement folks where they can carry the gun holstered then snap the tac light on the rail when needed.

Any decent tac light is going to cost a pretty penny. A combined quality light/laser will cost almost as much as the gun.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i use to have this one and it held up very well.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-m-3-tactical-flashlights.html

the m6 combo i have no experience with.

Never got into lasers much. Tried them and got more wrapped up in finding the dot instead of watching/identifying the threat and i sure didn't like that.

Light worked great for my purposes. Kept it on a pouch on the belt and used it when necessary. Must be carefull as it can work for you or against you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iowegan

The problem is my light switch is on the other side of the room. I have a small night stand with a light on it but it will just give the bad guy a better look at me because it is not bright. I am hoping a light laser will blind and scare them. I am not a cop and i live in a bigger city so i will not have a need for a holster. The gun sits in my top drawer of the nightstand ready to go.

my nighborhood seems to get worse every year. I have lived in the same spot for 5 years now and do not plan on moving. Last year on my street a few blocks up 2 people were killed. They shot them in the head and put them in the trunk of their car to rob them, But yet i still can not carry to defend...... so i look for defence in my home at least.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Iowegan, although you're generally right, low-profilers usually fit holsters, at least the ones especially designed for.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Dragunov, midwayusa.com sells Uni-Max for $160, if you dig a little deeper on yahoo or froogle, may find even cheaper.

About remote light switch - go to X10.com and look for numbers of options.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Nice gun Dragunov - I sure like them.

·
too great for words
661 Posts
I wish I would have seen that m3 before I got my TLR1. I'm still waiting for it to arrive but the m3 looks like it will come on and off easier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
dragunov where did you get the rubber grips from? Could you throw in a link. Would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very Nice. i really like your Houge grip. Nice addition.
I've had one for several months now and now use it as my carry gun.
very accurate and manageable.
Hope you enjoy it for many years.
Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Chunky Monkey

dragunov where did you get the rubber grips from? Could you throw in a link. Would be much appreciated.
+1 i m interested to know as well. thanks in advance

·
Registered
60 Posts
I read somewhere that Hogue and Pachmayr both have them but they fit apparently fit a little loose. dragunov where did you get yours, what size, and how do they fit?

CM

·
Registered
144 Posts
dragunov, welcome to the P345 club. My 345 is my favorite among several handguns that I own.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts