Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a new p94 today. I took it to the range with my p95. I shot both guns, but i was far more accurate with my 9mm...Could this be because I was a little hesitant with the new bigger caliber? could it be a less accurate gun? was it ammo related? I shot win. target rounds throught the 40, and I was using federal police tactical ammo through the 9mm...I am thinkin its related to ammo and lack of practice with the gun....does it need a break in period before the accuracy improves? or will the accuracy imporve as my comfort level with the gun improves? i was shooting at 15 yards.

·
Squirrel Sniper 1st class
254 Posts
the top group in this target is right at 4'' at 15 yards, with fiocchi 165 grainers, it takes a little getting used to, i had shot 1911's all my life before i bought the ruger, so it took quite a while to get used to....

shot with a ruger p94 - .40 S&W special edition......

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have probably put about 500-600 rounds through my 9mm now, and today I was extremely accurate with it for the first time....

·
Squirrel Sniper 1st class
254 Posts
I have probably put about 500-600 rounds through my 9mm now, and today I was extremely accurate with it for the first time....
i have gone through about 1500rounds ( since mid february) and i am starting to be able to control my grouping more and more, it takes a lot of unlearning from being trained on another type of pistol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 94 felt just like the 9mm with the +p rounds I was shooting...plus the sweat was burning my eyes today...that didnt help my accuracy towards the end...

·
Registered
68 Posts
so it make take a little time to become more accurate with it?
Exactly. Each gun will feel and behave differently, so you must get used to it. The key on your part is to develop consistency.

Each time you shoot, you must:
- Hold the gun with the same grip, no looser, no tighter
- Hold the same sight picture, centered and no higher, no lower.
- Squeeze the trigger with the same motion, no faster, no slower
- Make small corrections if sight picture drifts.
- Follow through and keep squeezing until the recoil has ended, or you may find that you jerk the trigger, wanting to get the shot off sooner to get ready for the next shot

When you do this the same each time, with little or no variation, the bullets will then behave the same each time they leave the barrel, and strike the target in a group that represents the 'accuracy' of the gun.

The Ransom Rest is produces this kind of repeatability, which is why it is used to compare 'accuracy' of guns without the human factor.

Keep practicing, try for this consistency, and enjoy the range time. You might surprise yourself. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts