Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In Los Angeles and just purchased a PC Carbine 9MM. Is it ready to go out of the box or do I remove the lube/grease it shipped with?

My first kmod is to put on an extended mag release on the left side and move the bolt handle to the left as well, on.

Premium Member
I clean any gun whether used or new the first time before shooting.

Premium Member
Support Veterans
Yes take the time and do your new Ruger a favor. Give it a thorough cleaning and light oiling. Get to know it a bit and you will be well served. Congratulations on the new PCC 9mm and enjoy it. Be safe. Good choice. You will love this one for sure...eats ammo at good rate! Give it a good loving home and it will be a keeper.
*Greetings from Ohio and welcome to the forum too!
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!

Registered
At the range one time. Some brainiacs decided to take an AK mag fed SKS to the range. They hadn't bothered to clean it. When the cosmoline in the rifle dried due to shooting, a chunk managed to find its way into the bolt assembly. It locked the firing pin and the rifle started to slam fire. Then said brainiacs dropped it.

Clean and then a VERY LIGHT coating of oil on the places where is reciprocates.

Registered
I believe you鈥檒l find most of us would say the same as above. Definitely clean any new to you gun before taking it to the range. Have fun!

Registered
Always clean a new gun and oil it per the manufacturer's instructions in your owner manual. Then shoot it!

I had to grin, though, when I read your OP, thinking of the new Rock Island Armory 9mm 1911 that hubby bought a while ago. It was literally SWIMMING IN OIL - inside the plastic bag inside the gun box! There could not have been a question as to whether that baby needed to be cleaned before being shot. Hubby had to do a complete detail strip of it. Good thing he has owned 1911's before and knows how to put them back together!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
All great info. Thanks for setting me on the right path. I鈥檒l Clean 鈥榟er鈥 馃榾 tomorrow. I picked up my 2nd: a Remington 879 police today.

Spellign Bee Champ
Yes, with the added benefit of getting more familiar with 鈥渉er.鈥

Army CW3
Welcome to rugerforum.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest! HOOAAAHHHH!!!!!

Registered
Shooting a new gun without cleaning it would be like eating with a new fork without washing it.:eek:

Reactions: stewbud2

Registered
Another big welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania!!

Registered
Hirschj盲ger
Another welcome,

Yes, definitely clean off that gunk. What's slathered on there is not really a lube, but a preservative.

My AR556 was pretty slopped up in it...Not quite mummy-wrapped Enfield rifle goopy, but not far from it.

Clean it, lube it correctly and then shoot the heck out of it and enjoy.

Aqualung

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.