Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mods and admins have just put together a list of characteristics as a sticky in the classified section. It is a list, but by no means compete or comprehensive, that we invite members to add characteristics that we may have missed, to. The classifieds is a use at your own risk, but no one likes to see someone get scammed.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Question - why is gmail a red flag? It’s one of the most-used free email services and I’ve used it for over a decade with no issues.
I can’t speak for the moderators, but I would see a gmail address as one factor to consider, not necessarily a “deal breaker”.

Gmail is certainly one of the most widely used free email services, but it also is a way to obtain an email address quickly and with minimal traceability. Even the FBI has difficulty getting Google to cough up user information - good luck getting anything on your own.

·
Super Moderator
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a large amount of anonymity to Gmail as pointed out. It is also what we as mods and admins have noticed. It’s just a fact that gmail is the overwhelming favorite. Also, think of the difference compared to say an internet service provider email that has a billing name, address, etc.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Reactions: rmichael63

·
Super Moderator
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, we can go down the rabbit hole of all the “free”
Email services, but actually, I don’t know if I have seen any hotmail, and certainly not among the scammers I have banned. Gmail is definitely the overwhelming favorite, which is why it was called out.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Sad to say, but these days, I’m suspicious of any financial dealings via the internet, unless it’s with someone (or a company) I’ve dealt with successfully in the past. I don’t even click on sale offers I get via email from reputable companies like Brownells or Midway, because scammers can make e-flyers that look just like the real ones.

Even if it’s from someone I’ve seen in the this forum for years, I’d be hesitant, because it’s not impossible for a scammer to break someone’s password and log on as them.

I’d say that it’s the times we live in, except that scammers have been with us since the Garden of Eden.

·
Registered
.22 Single Sixes, MkII, 10-22, 22 Charger, 77-357, 45 American, 44 Vaqueros, GP100s.
554 Posts
Good assessment of a scammer's habits. Many of the characteristics are exactly like the scammer I almost fell for, and reading between the lines of his messages, did not send my money, thankfully. I would add requests for texting instead of PM's. Saw that on another forum from a fishy WTS poster.

I only use both hotmail and gMail.

·
Administrator
22,777 Posts
I can’t speak for the moderators, but I would see a gmail address as one factor to consider, not necessarily a “deal breaker”.

Gmail is certainly one of the most widely used free email services, but it also is a way to obtain an email address quickly and with minimal traceability. Even the FBI has difficulty getting Google to cough up user information - good luck getting anything on your own.
Exactly. Having a G-Mail account doesn't make them a scammer but most scammers we have encountered here use G-Mail.

What were are doing is painting a portrait of a scammer. No part of it alone makes them a scammer but as different parts of the portrait come together it should serve as a warning if that portrait starts looking like who you might do business with. Another almost constant is they are almost always using WTB ads. If you think about it the buyer has to send funds to the seller so they pick a method that the funds are unlikely to be reversed or their real identity revealed plus all communication is private. Now that doesn't say they can't post a WTS ad it's just we haven't encountered it of late.

The best advice we can give right now is don't do WTB.

What would be helpful is if those that have dealt with scammers would give us a narrative here detailing the back and forth communications. In short educate us all.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
My gmail account is a burner type.
I use it when I know it will result in spam.
I'm the opposite, i use hotmail for things that might generate spam ... I guess everyone has "their theory" ... in the end may all scammers and hackers burn in the deepest and hottest pits of HELL ... they rank only second to the POS pedophiles ... Stay vigilant on all fronts folks ...

·
Registered
340 Posts
One thing to consider with hotmail is that you likely won't see many scams with hotmail anymore because you can't create an actual "hotmail" account still. A couple years back they changed hotmail to be outlook.com. If you had an old hotmail account you kept the same email, but if you try to create a new email through them now it comes out as an @outlook.com address.

One other thing to consider with gmail is almost all colleges assign incoming students an email address that is a gmail one as well, hence why I use a gmail account.

·
Registered
524 Posts
{snip}
Also, think of the difference compared to say an internet service provider email that has a billing name, address, etc.{snip}
Keep in mind not everyone has their own ISP. So that leaves a wide selection of people that rely on free email addresses.

Example: in apartments I've seen entire floors share one account, they just drill a hole in the wall and run cat5 cable through.

People that travel after retirement (live in a mobile home).
Some truck drivers actually live in their trucks.
Homeless people with free Obama phones, etc.

Not arguing, just pointing out something that may have been overlooked.

·
Administrator
22,777 Posts
If those that have been actually scammed could contribute to this it would be helpful. If you would prefer you can PM me and I will not use your identity. It would be useful to see the scammers actual words and methods.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Items advertised below the going rate.

A site that you look at and abort, which then tries to contact you again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.