Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start looking for a BlackHawk in either 41 mag or 45 Long Colt ina 4 5/8 barrel. I took the dragoon style grip off my Super BlackHawk to put a brass grips frame on. I anm justthinking that it would be a good weapon to have when walking in the woods. Big grip easy to get your hand on quick if ya needed too. And the recoil of the 45 or 41 mag wouldn't drive the sharpe squard triger guard in to youe middle finger. A set of real nice fancy wooden grip pannles and your in business.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Snuffy, about twenty years ago, I had a high school principal from another town trade in a .41 Mag Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel. The principal told me it belonged to either a doctor or a dentist. He fired about 12 round in it and that was enough. I gladly took the trade and the remaining box of Remington ammo, and as soon as I could, I took it to the range. It kicked like hell...more than a .44Mag., but it was accurate.

I had not shot a .41Mag before, but the Blackhawk is a fairly light gun, compared to a S&W N frame. I had fired a model 29 and a Super Blackhawk and thought the .41 was more of a kicker than the .44Mags. I have since fired a N frame 657 in .41Mag. and also a Redhawk. It is a nice flat-shooting round...I like it. I also love .44Mags. And I like 4 5/8" barrel lengths. I think you should get both, Snuffy...a .41Mag and a .45 Colt. I like both of them.

Hey Snuffy, I just thought of something...how about a convertible in the .45? I love them too. .45 Colt and .45ACP!

Now I have a couple of .460 S&Ws in stock. I want to take one out and fire it. I ordered some .45 Colt in Federal lead HPs, some .454 Casull in Hornady and Winchester HPs, and .460 in Hornady HP with the red plastic tip. I can't wait to get to the range. I hate to fire a brand new gun because it then becomes a "demo", but one of the .460s is going to the range.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Cheaper way than to make a demo out of it is clean it real good, then lay a box of shells with it and tell them you test fired it and the box of shells goes with it at no cost...leave the price at full...betcha it'll work fine...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had a 41 in a Black Hawk but it was a 6 1/2 inche barrel. But this was darn near 20 years ago so maybe it did kick alot. I did trade it off. Anyhow I have the convertable in a 7 1/2 and sure I can do that with a 4 5/8 barrel. The dragoon grip frame is steel and there for will add weight to the gun. which would hold down on the recoil. Right now I am in the looking stage, its funny I have just finshed up working the Super BlackHawk and the BlackHawk I put brass grip frame. But was that work, took me two years of working on it sometime I would get so mad that I thought I was going to work on them with a 5 pound hammer.
They sure turned out nice but it was alot of work, and now I want to start another one. I think this will be easier as the grip frame came off a Super BlackHawk. Brass would look better, not sure of which I'll do yet just looking and thinking right now. Thanks for the input Ron.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts