Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've read and read and still too new to this. I just came home tonight with a brandy new RAR 22LR and waiting for the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40mm I ordered to arrive so I can mate them up. The store I purchased the rifle from offered to mount the scope and bore sight the whole thing but I wanted to do it myself to "learn" the ropes. In the hopes this won't be the last rifle I buy, I wanted to go down the road and learn myself about buying and installing scopes and hardware for them. Plus, it seemed like it'd be fun!

For the past couple of days I've watched a bunch of videos and read all I could on the topic. I found that not too many manufacturers call out the RAR specifically making choices difficult. Also - I'm still not too sure about what is "best" and I know that'll raise and eye brow or two here. In one video, the presenter was lapping the scope rings. Wow...it that necessary for rimfire accuracy? He also used a couple of pointed bars to align the rings (that made sense to me). Then there's the hardware itself. Do I go directly onto the 3/8" dovetail or get the Weaver base (long single) or two individual bases (even if I should go with Weaver) and mount the rings to them? And Loctite 242 for rimfire? Will a bolt action rifle usage cause enough vibration over time to warrant Loctite. I'll use it without question if highly recommended but these are the things I'm curious about. If there were one, "balls to the wall" article on this topic, I'd read it three times at least.

There are so many options and I wold rather not do this twice, that is unless I'm upgrading of course. So all that said, I look forward to your recommendations and PLEASE post some images of how yours are mounted and why. I'd really like to "see" what people are talking about. They say a picture's worth a thousand words. Maybe this thread can end up being that "balls to the wall" article I was after reading!

I thank you all in advance! I'm excited to read your replies...

All the best - Freddo

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Freddo, I am far from an expert on mounting scopes. Still, I do have a few observations. The answers to many of your questions depend on your intended uses for the rifle. If you want it to shoot 10 shots all through the same hole from a bench rest, then things like lapping rings could make a difference.

Generally speaking, 3/8" tip off mounts are fine for a .22, however, if it's going to get rough use, such as being schlepped around in the woods while hunting, or rolling around in the back of your truck, then perhaps mounting it on wider centerfire mounts could be better.

Lastly, while the general idea is always pretty much the same when it comes to makeounting scopes, there are still a million and one different ways to do it. It's kinda like when you ask people how to clean and lube a gun. Everyone has their own "best" way to do it.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
1st. time, let the store do it & watch the guy & ask questions.

Cabela's has a good video on it & I believe Midway has 1 also.

Also look in the library on this site, as our own Iowegan has a title called "scope dope"

I personally use blue (removable) loctite on the rail screws.
Also, do not over tighten the screws on the rings. I grab the short end of the Allen wrench & tighten the screws with 2 fingers & it works for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
10/22 scope?

Freddo,

may I ask why you chose a 3-9 power scope. I am looking at adding a scope to my 10-22 but believe that the scope should be limited to 1-4 since the effective range is 150 yds. Will you be shooting competition with the gun? or just plinking, survival, etc.

thanks

kscoyotee62

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Freddo,
may I ask why you chose a 3-9 power scope. I am looking at adding a scope to my 10-22 but believe that the scope should be limited to 1-4 since the effective range is 150 yds. Will you be shooting competition with the gun? or just plinking, survival, etc.
kscoyotee62
Great question sir and my reply is this: I found a lot, and mean "a lot" of other shooters out there with these scope specs mounted on their 10/22's and RAR's so I didn't think it was out of "rimfire" league. My plans for this gun is target and plinking but hoping to hunt with one day too. I am after higher accuracy just "because" I want to know what I can do with it if needed for hunting. I've always liked the idea of shooting and bought the bolt action to slow me down and concentrate on the shot and not how much ammo I can put through the gun. But - that's not to say a semi-auto isn't going to make it onto my bucket list though - time will tell!

So the bottom line is accuracy. Thanks for asking kscoyotee62!

Regards - Freddo

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The 3 -9 scope is the most popular scope there is, very few lower power scopes are available. A 9X is better for shooting small groups and small targets. I have a 10/22 with a 4-12 on it, it's a large scope on a heavy barrel gun. I have a 2to7 Leupold rimfire scope on order for a Henry Frontier, it's a better fit on the Henry than a larger scope would have been. The Leupold may end up on a 10/22 carbine later on. You need the 12 p0wer for grasshoppers at 50 yards as an example.

A good 4X or 6X scope is really good on a .22 or a deer rifle but they are few and far between now days. The 3 to 9 is the current most popular scope, some good deals out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input regarding scopes but I'm more concerned about the "mounting" system at this point. Before I logged in here, I was looking at the Weaver #12 bases (I'll need two it appears) and the Burris 1" Signature Zee Rings (#420521). If I'm correct, and if not overkill, the inserts have to play a major role in getting good scope alignment. I'm not sure about all the "offset" talk and MOA based on far targets, etc. I plan to shoot out to 50 yards mostly and maybe one day further but can't imagine shooting close to or past 100 yds. Does this sound like a good setup? The Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40mm shipped out today and I looking to buy mounting hardware ASAP.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Freddo congratulations on your purchase, I'm still pretty new at this as well. My experience is that no matter if you do it or a shop does the bore sight you might still need to do your final adjustments at the range.. I've had shops do mine and they were way of at the range. Just don't let it discourage you..

I have the RAR Ranch in .223 and chose the Vortex Crossfire ll 2-7X32. There is also a rimfire version of this exact same scope.. I almost went 3-9X but I liked that the 2-7X was a bit more compact.. I love the scope, Vortex makes a great scope for the price. I'm using leupold 1inch medium height rings (aluminum) and my gun already had the rail for mounting. Best of luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the RAR Ranch in .223 and chose the Vortex Crossfire ll 2-7X32. There is also a rimfire version of this exact same scope.. I almost went 3-9X but I liked that the 2-7X was a bit more compact.. I love the scope, Vortex makes a great scope for the price. I'm using leupold 1inch medium height rings (aluminum) and my gun already had the rail for mounting. Best of luck.
Thanks for that doubleatp and the image too (very nice looking setup you have there - *enjoy* it!

@ddahlgren and @moakes58 - Thanks for the reference to the "Scope Dope". I will surely read that (I started but will finish it today)!

Once my setup is built I'll post it here to hopefully help others looking for this type of info. and choices that are out there. If it helps "one" out there it'll be worth it.

I'm looking for a lot of accuracy, tight groups we call them (right?) from 10-100 yards (my son calls them "Robin Hood's" in archery terms).

Regard - Freddo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All,

I thought I'd follow up after shooting the gun a bunch. The setup is crazy accurate. So far I've shot out to 80 yards and we're hitting spent shotgun shells quite well. The Vortex scope is nice and bright and the bolt action is great for keeping me from running through ammo fast and allowing me to concentrate on learning to shoot well. Zeroing the scope went well to, I had a box or two of ammo shoot so I took it slow and used what I learned here and elsewhere online and it's dead-on now. I'd trust this to hunt with but too bad we can't use the .22 rimfire for squirrel!

Thanks again for the help to all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts