Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my latest Ruger this Friday. I was hesitant to spend $800 on this gun, but the usefulness of the duel calibers got me. I was hoping this being a higher-end Ruger, the fit and finish would be decent. They only had 2 guns in stock, one being a display model. The one from the "back" was unpackaged and I looked it over. I found a very nasty rough gouge on the barrel right at the front site. Even the salesman said it was bad. So I decided to get the display one. I looked it over good (I thought) and ended up getting it. I couldn't wait to get it home and clean it up.

Once I got it home I started noticing issues with the finish. There were several marks where it looks like the person polishing it went across the grain. Not that big of deal, I'm going to carry it in the woods. I can live with it.

Then I notice a big "furrow" in the frame next to the barrel on the right side of the frame. You can actually feel it with your finger. Looks like something a total noob would do with a polishing wheel. I'm getting concerned now. Again, it's cosmetic, but wow.

Then I notice after dry firing a few times, the frame-trigger group opens up at the rear of the trigger housing. I put it back together again properly , and it does the same thing. I've never had a Ruger do this before, although I've never had a Redhawk. I'm not satisfied at all with this gun as is, I'm going to call Monday and send it back. I hope this is just an aberration and they can fix it. I'm not sure how they'll do it given the frame issues, but I'll remain hopeful.

Now the good. I did take it out and fire about a hundred rounds of .45 ACP. It shot great. With the assortment of cheap white box and Blazer I had it was right on target. Don't have any .45 Colt on hand to try, but was pleased with the performance. With the trigger group not fitting properly, there is a very sharp edge and it abraded by finger pretty bad.

Sure hope their customer service comes through for me. I can't believe their QC wouldn't catch these things before it shipped. Then I again, I didn't catch them before plunking my cash down.:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Good luck! Every new Ruger product I've acquired in the last few years has had finish issues! Some I can live with some I couldn't. The latter ones I traded for something else.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Always check, check, and check. I always pour over every inch of a firearm and strip them as far as the dealer will let me.

I hope Ruger helps you out and cleans it up. Glad to hear it's a shooter! :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice pistol, sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully you can resolve them. I still have not seen one yet. Still looking.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The cosmetic issues don't seem to much to me. The trigger group fit might bother me but I would have to have it in hand to know. Especially for a carry gun cosmetics won't matter to long anyway. IMO

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Rugers are kit guns. They build them you finish them. Seems like if you want quality you have to go to Europe. Sad but true. The good news is Ruger will fix the obvious flaws.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
795 Posts
The main reason I will not buy from an auction site anymore, unless its an older model. Sent a Bearcat Shopkeeper back three times before they got it right. Sent in a .45/45acp S.S. Bisley with a crooked front sight. Both were auctions guns. Did buy 4 Ruger SR1911's online that were all top notch.
Ruger has great customer service, just sad to hear so many have to be sent back. Need new blood in the QC department, that is if it even exists. If they built it right the first time think of the money they would save on shipping and rebuilds. Could pass that down to the customers with lower prices. ;)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The cosmetics I could probably deal with but certainly not the trigger group opening up, no way I'd accept that.

My .45 ACP-LC had some finish issues but mechanically seems OK. Ruger seems to be cranking guns out too fast, QC is slipping.

I'm happy with how my RH shoots, I bought it as a high volume shooter so I didn't need a museum piece but dam these guns are getting expensive...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Seen the trigger group crack many a time and it all boils down to getting that sucker closed all of the way. I know you don't want to hear "operator error", but don't get me wrong as it is often the case of a tough and tight set of gun parts that is often difficult if not seemingly impossible to get back together. Just think about the return of a Ruger single action grip frame to it's receiver and how much headache comes along with that operation (at least for me as it's the least favored gun room project I have ever done). Sometimes it is just difficult to do and certainly to master. I've also found that a thorough cleaning and sometimes removal of excess material on the inside (look around the stem that contains the spring/plunger to hold these two parts together) sometimes there is often an offending burr or rough finish there that can add to the difficulty in getting these two parts fully seated. I've had the very same difficulty with all of my current Ruger double actions and had to clean, polish and in some cases, remove material in order to ease this operation. This is for my Alaskan, GP, and SP. All three from the box had this issue and was easily corrected. Smithy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Redhawk issues

Sorry, to hear about the finish on your Redhawk. I purchased a Redhawk Kodiak in 44 mag. today at a local gun show and the fit and finish is very good. Ruger is very good about taking care of problems. A few years ago I need a part for Blackhawk and they sent me the part postage free and 1 of there fancy ruger patches.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seen the trigger group crack many a time and it all boils down to getting that sucker closed all of the way. I know you don't want to hear "operator error", but don't get me wrong as it is often the case of a tough and tight set of gun parts that is often difficult if not seemingly impossible to get back together. Just think about the return of a Ruger single action grip frame to it's receiver and how much headache comes along with that operation (at least for me as it's the least favored gun room project I have ever done). Sometimes it is just difficult to do and certainly to master. I've also found that a thorough cleaning and sometimes removal of excess material on the inside (look around the stem that contains the spring/plunger to hold these two parts together) sometimes there is often an offending burr or rough finish there that can add to the difficulty in getting these two parts fully seated. I've had the very same difficulty with all of my current Ruger double actions and had to clean, polish and in some cases, remove material in order to ease this operation. This is for my Alaskan, GP, and SP. All three from the box had this issue and was easily corrected. Smithy.
I checked and double checked. I did polish a few burs too. I does lock up tight, but then opens up a bit after just dry firing. I even removed the pin the secures the trigger guard. It looked really rough and maybe even slightly bent. I polished it a bit too, but still does the same thing. Couldn't call today they're closed for the holiday. I'll try tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Yeah get that thing on the way back ASAP, my new rule of thumb is "no one should have to "fix" a NIB gun", especially one that costs over $800.........

Sure,I've had to "tweak" stuff like thrashed $200 Service Sixes, but I refuse to have to waste hours of my time repairing a brand new gun that costs nearly $1,000.

This is the stuff that soured me on new S&W's, I've had 2 brand new S&W's, a 617 and a PC 629, in the family that were messed up out of the box, that's almost $2,000 worth of guns.........I refuse to accept this from Ruger.

I want to keep supporting Ruger, they still make great guns and have great CS, there's really no other US gunmaker to turn to , with guns actually affordable to the average person, that treats you right anymore besides Ruger, so don't get discouraged, they'll fix it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just dropped her off at Fed-Ex. CS was nice and helpful. Only glitch was they won't let me have it shipped to my workplace because I live just across the border in a different state. Might be a pain to have someone home to sign for it on return.

It must be cheaper in the long run to just have people sending back guns that have issues. As opposed to improving Quality Control on the front end. It seems that many manufacturers have adopted this business plan.

I would be a horrible QC inspector, nothing would get out the door and the line would back up for miles!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just dropped her off at Fed-Ex. CS was nice and helpful. Only glitch was they won't let me have it shipped to my workplace because I live just across the border in a different state. Might be a pain to have someone home to sign for it on return.

It must be cheaper in the long run to just have people sending back guns that have issues. As opposed to improving Quality Control on the front end. It seems that many manufacturers have adopted this business plan.

I would be a horrible QC inspector, nothing would get out the door and the line would back up for miles!
Exactly! For everyone like you who sends the gun back there will be more who just shrugs and move on. Sad to see but that is what the business model says to do I guess.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
5 out of 10 people don't even know what they're looking at, as long as it goes bang and something comes out of the barrel, they're fine with it. Most people who buy a new Ruger only have a couple guns and probably shoot twice a year.......it's the "enthusiasts" like us that send new guns back:)

It seems Ruger uses the end user i.e. customer as the final inspector, it's true, it's cheaper to get them out the door and then service the 30% of them that get sent back. It may be just me, but it seems fewer people are reporting QC issues with the SA revolvers, I see a lot of problems with the SR series and DA revolvers. Maybe Ruger has the more experienced people doing the SA revolvers, I don't know.

I put the .45 convertible Vaquero on layaway to have a single action "companion" range gun to the .45 Redhawk, my .45 Birdshead is getting hard chromed and will become my "roaming around outside" gun, loaded with Buffalo Bore .45 ACP. SO, hoping they all work out and I have a nice set of .45 ACP wheelies, to go along with my P90.........so I'm paying really close attention to the .45 ACP-LC Redhawk to make sure all the bugs are out of it, since I planned to make this gun one of the most used guns in my collection. My next step is to try it out with LC's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
5 out of 10 people don't even know what they're looking at, as long as it goes bang and something comes out of the barrel, they're fine with it. Most people who buy a new Ruger only have a couple guns and probably shoot twice a year.......it's the "enthusiasts" like us that send new guns back:)
Think your on it, just way overestimating the real shooters number. I read somewhere Roy Jinks once estimated that 90% of Smith and Wesson revolvers sold were put in drawers and never fired, and 98% never had over a box of shells fired through them. So basically for every one that gets sent back to the factory, likely twenty are sold with the exact same defect and never returned. Sure makes them think "Heck Quality Control is doing a great job!" :rolleyes:

Smith Wesson, Remington, Marlin etc... all have the exact same tales on their enthusiast websites. I've seen some $1,500 S/W Performance Center guns with features that would get a D- if produced in a Jr. High Metal Shop Class.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Performance Centres are the 21 Century version of Barnum and Bailey. Seem s all that means is older folks pack the boxes.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
+1 yes, I have the "perfect" example of this.........my Dad bought a 1960's era S&W Model 36 J-frame 3" .38, from a lady who's husband bought it as a "shop gun" for his liquor store. He passed away and she found the gun in the early 2000's sitting in a desk drawer, inside the original blue cardboard box, along with a box of .38 with 10 rounds missing, with 5 being in the cylinder....... SO, the guy capped off a cylinder full, probably in a field or behind the dumpster, wiped it down,loaded it and there it sat for 40+ years.

A lot of guys would probably buy a .45 hybrid Redhawk, put a half a box of ACP and a few LC"s through it, clean it up and carry it as a "field gun" during hunting season, loaded with LC.......maybe once a year put a few ACP's through it because they've got a 1911 laying around and as long as it hits something they don't worry about experimenting with different ammo, etc.

This forum kind of gives "skewed" results with both very good and very bad examples from Ruger, because unless you have at least more than a passing interest in shooting Rugers you probably won't be using this forum.......so we post a lot of "range reports" and "gun has issues" stuff.

The vast majority of guns sold are at least "within spec" and so the average occasional shooter or guy with a couple guns who keeps them in a sock drawer doesn't bother to post on the internet if the gun "works".

In a lot of ways I have said recently, I think I was happier when I was a "beginner" gun enthusiast, I didn't go over the mechanics of guns with a fine tooth comb like I do now. I got my first S&W in 2001, a used 67-1, I was 21 years old. I knew that it fired, was accurate and looked cool, beyond that I didn't worry about it. I didn't know about timing, carryup, etc. I pulled the trigger and it fired .38's, and I was happy:)

Now I'm trying to figure out why Wolf shoots better in my .45 Redhawk then S&B, and maybe if I polish the chambers it will extract a little better, and etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts