Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have acquired all the equipment over the past month. Slowly taking it out and setting it all up. Today I deprimed 50, 45 colt cases and felt a sense of pride 馃槃.

I enjoyed those moments and put Everything away and will put primers in tomorrow. I figure one thing at a time until I get confident at it.

I've read 3 manuals and those were a lot of help along with the tube videos I watched as well. Looks like this will be a fun thing to do now that I'm retired.

Registered
I probably collected brass for 4-5 years before I reloaded. A friend gave me an old C press, and I made a mess of things before I gave up for another 3 years, when a friend walked me though the process, and it all made sense. But then, I am not a rocket scientist.
Good luck. You deserve to take satisfaction in your achievement. Reloading has changed the way I look at shooting. I have not bought a box of ammo (except .22) since I started reloading (finally).

Registered
If you are loading straight wall cases, like your .45 Colt, buy carbide dies. Using carbide dies means that you don't have to lube the cases. Most of my dies are from Lee and they come with instructions. Beside the recipe books, that you all ready have, web sites from Hodgdon and Alliant offer some more choices, and the down load is free. You are wise to consult several books before you start to load. Good luck and welcome to the club........robin

Registered
You will enjoy reloading but take it step by step as you can easily double charge or forget to charge a case with powder.

Registered
So I have acquired all the equipment over the past month. Slowly taking it out and setting it all up. Today I deprimed 50, 45 colt cases and felt a sense of pride 馃槃.
Congratulations. Welcome to the party.
I enjoyed those moments and put Everything away and will put primers in tomorrow. I figure one thing at a time until I get confident at it.
That is one way, and the way I did it when I started out. Size and deprime 50, reprime 50, bell 50, charge 50, seat and crimp 50. Then do the next 50. I used two loading blocks for this. When I began each operation, one block was filled with cases to be processed, and the other was empty. When done, block 1 was empty and block 2 was full. Then I could inspect all 50 cases to verify all were done correctly (especially after charging - all cases having the same amount of powder)

After I got a turret press, I found it fit my personal style to load each cartridge, start to finish (continuous mode as opposed to batch mode). It's a personal preference.
I've read 3 manuals and those were a lot of help along with the tube videos I watched as well. Looks like this will be a fun thing to do now that I'm retired.
Good for you to have studied multiple manuals. Each author "speaks" in a different voice and may emphasize particular aspects of reloading covered less deeply by other authors. Reading multiple points of view is to your benefit.

Loading can be fun in and of itself. One can develop an inner peace. Other activities (knitting, for example) can do that, too. The pride one feels in punching holes or taking game with ammo one has crafted oneself can be edifying. The independence one gets from retailers (flexibility in the type and power level of your ammo as well as availability during shortages of factory fodder) is another advantage.

Welcome to the club.

Lost Sheep

Registered
I taught myself using the Lee Classic (whack-a-mole) for 38spl. That was about 5 years ago. Since then I've reloaded thousands of rounds of 38, 357, 9 and 45 primarily using the Lee Hand Press. I've also reloaded some 223, which is a bit more complicated.

Registered
jomarfl, welcome to a satisfying addiction. Sounds as though you are off to a good and wise start.

One word of caution, don't use recipes from anyone unless you can verify them with a recognized authority such as Hodgdon, Hornady, Nosler or other manufacturers of components or equipment.

Good Luck, Have Fun and Be SAFE!

"The Real Deal"
Welcome to the elite reloaders club. Its a very indepth hobby, that requires total attention. Take it slow and your experience will grow. Read all you can, keep a note book of your reloads, I do so everytime I reload, that way you can go back and duplicate it, if need be. Load a few, then try them before making large lots of ammo. Make sure the ammo is not too long to fit the magazine, the book sometimes can be incorrect. Learned that with the 380 LCP. I have produced some very accurate rounds for hunting, self defense, plinking, and for precision, that I probably could not have attained with factory ammo. Thats always satisfying, and I have taught a few others this meticulous hobby.;) time consuming, but worth the rewards, and can save you money.

Banned
one book/one caliber

jomarfl, welcome to a satisfying addiction. Sounds as though you are off to a good and wise start.

One word of caution, don't use recipes from anyone unless you can verify them with a recognized authority such as Hodgdon, Hornady, Nosler or other manufacturers of components or equipment.

Good Luck, Have Fun and Be SAFE!

I like the One Book/One Caliber reloading manuals.

Registered
Good way to do it. The best thing I have learned is to be methodical and precise. Now I get excited, because if I am reloading that means I get to shoot more.

Enjoy yourself and have fun.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the great advice, I look forward to a lot of fun with this new hobby.

Registered
This forum is a good source of information which will help you with your reloading expertise.
Learning from other folk's mistakes beats learning from your own :D

Registered
I'd say you are going about it in the right way. Sometimes I feel like I enjoy the peacefulness of reloading more than I like the racket of shooting.

Enjoy!

Registered
I've been reloading since the mid eighties , once I double charged a batch of 38 special cases and once I seated 50 or so primers backwards , felt kind of dumb about that .
But the good thing is I caught my mistake with the double charged 38 specials . This can be easier to Do than you might think IF , you're not paying attention .
I read some advice a long time ago that a fellow reloader gave , he said that he always grabbed a flashlight and inspected his pistol or revolver cases every time before seating his bullets if he was loading a light charge of powder .
This has worked for me , enjoy !

Registered
, he said that he always grabbed a flashlight and inspected his pistol or revolver cases every time before seating his bullets if he was loading a light charge of powder .
This has worked for me , enjoy !

Yes, solid advise. Always inspect before seating bullets and keep accurate records as well and put the load data on the cartridge box. Also, steady consistent powder charges help in metering the powder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts