Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new Ruger SP101 in .327 Fed/mag with a 4.2" barrel from Davison's Gallery of Guns.
When I picked it up it didn't dawn on me that there was no fired case in the package.

I brought it home and referring to the manual, tore it down for cleaning.
I then found a notation in the manual that states that ALL new Ruger handguns are shipped with a spent cartridge case as proof of test-firing at the factory.

Why would I not have received a spent case? I don't need one. I'm just wondering if my revolver missed being test-fired.

As a side note, this revolver was also shooting 7" low at 7 yards out of the box. I wasn't expecting them to be dead-on, but I really wasn't expecting 7" low either.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,545 Posts
Welcome from Nor-Cal!
Did you call customer service?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from Nor-Cal!
Did you call customer service?
Picked it up on Friday afternoon (holiday weekend...)
I've emailed customer service. Now I play the waiting game.

Davison's is an online store. Can't "take it back into the store."
I'm going to try to adjust the sights but I'm not sure I have enough travel to make up 7".

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
As a side note, this revolver was also shooting 7" low at 7 yards out of the box.
Ruger doesnt sight the guns in. When I received my Single Seven, the rear sight screw was cranked all the way down. Had I fired it like that, it would have been shooting into the dirt at my feet. Adjust the rear sight up and see where you are hitting. If you dont have enough elevation adjustment to get to point of aim, then there is an issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fired Case w/New Revolver

Some police agencies want the fired case that comes with the revolver when the gun is purchased. They keep it on file so they can track down found cases fired from the same revolver. Apparently each firing pin puts a distinguishing mark on fired primers that will identify it from others. California is requiring a similar firing pin identification system for new pistols. I guess they are stupid to know that the firing pin on automatic pistols (1911s) are easily changed.:mad:

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I believe the last state that required the spent case has changed the law and no longer requires it. If so I would expect the spent cartridge in the little envelope to go away.

http://www.guns.com/2015/05/13/mary...sing-mandate-advocated-by-gun-control-groups/

Found the story - it was Maryland. They were the last state to require it and the law was repealed back in May. It was a failure as a measure to help law enforcement identify firearms used in crimes and who they belonged too, etc.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I also agree - the test firing Ruger does has little to nothing to do with sight regulation. Testing is done to check function and safety and not to dial in your sights for you. That's one of the joys of buying a new gun - you get to play with loads and sights and decide what works best for you.

I have a strong hunch we would all be surprised at how little time it takes Ruger to assemble a revolver from bins of parts, fit, finish, test and package up for shipment. The process is probably measured in minutes....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the last state that required the spent case has changed the law and no longer requires it. If so I would expect the spent cartridge in the little envelope to go away.

Maryland scraps failed cartridge casing mandate advocated by gun control groups

Found the story - it was Maryland. They were the last state to require it and the law was repealed back in May. It was a failure as a measure to help law enforcement identify firearms used in crimes and who they belonged too, etc.
Thank you for that information. I had missed that story and did not realize that California has evidently dropped the fired casing requirement as well.

The manual I received with my new revolver did say that ALL new Ruger handguns were shipped with a fired case included.
Of course this same manual stated that the model I was holding was no longer in production, and then added an addendum to the manual with instructions specific to this new production model...

I get that this model was discontinued, and then re-introduced, but still.

Confusing at best.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Thank you for that information. I had missed that story and did not realize that California has evidently dropped the fired casing requirement as well.

The manual I received with my new revolver did say that ALL new Ruger handguns were shipped with a fired case included.
Of course this same manual stated that the model I was holding was no longer in production, and then added an addendum to the manual with instructions specific to this new production model...

I get that this model was discontinued, and then re-introduced, but still.

Confusing at best.
Sounds like the manual isn't quite keeping current with the product changes. Not too surprising. Kudos to you for actually reading the manual.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
They can keep the case and the silly Chinese made locks in my opinion!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They can keep the case and the silly Chinese made locks in my opinion!
I tried to give that lock away the day I picked it up explaining that I will NEVER use it.
I told a friend that if that gun was not on my hip it would be locked away in a safe.

I still have the lock. ANOTHER one.
Anyone need a free gun lock?

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
The big thing from a fired casing is not so much the firing pin they are looking at but the imprints left as it expands in the chamber and is pulled out by the ejector on a semi. Revolver marks are minimal, oh and unless you are a New York cop and require 84 shots to hit something, you don't leave any brass behind. Even CA didn't require micro stamping for revolvers.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The changes at Ruger don't always catch up with the manual. I got an LCR that explained how to use the key to lock the gun but there was no key in the box. I called Ruger and the CS rep said, "The newer models don't lock..so no key...just disregard that part of the user manual."

Ruger does not dial-in adjustable sights. Mine were never on target but zeroing them in is a fun parts of personalizing my gun.

I did not get spent casings with my two Kimbers just for the record...and I bought them and live in Kentucky. No big deal.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I just gathered up a bunch of Ruger locks and put them in the trash. My flat top I bought a few weeks ago did not have a spent case either.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
My Sp101 in 327 did come with the empty case, as all my Ruger NIB revolvers have. . But I have never actually taken the case out of the envelope on any of my Ruger's.

The only thing I ever actually used it for, since the firing date is on the package, was as a reference to the exact build date of the gun.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Sounds like you perceive to have 2 issues:

Problem 1) No fired case in the box
Solution 1) Who cares?

Problem 2) Gun shoots 7" low with your load
Solution 2) Raise the rear sight.

Problems solved.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
An email from Ruger customer service received today says that as of July 31st 2015 Ruger will no longer be included fired cases with it's new handguns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts