Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger already makes a 9mm revolver that takes circlips to load, I would like to see them make a similar revolver in .380. They should be able to make it even smaller.I do not know if it would be possible, but a top break would be nice. Does anybody else think there is a niche for one of these?

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
There's no way Ruger is going to development a new frame for a niche market. Their target is 2M guns per year, they're going to make flavors of existing platforms. 5 shot SBH, 327 LCR, 9mm LCR, forget shotguns and No 1s....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum, renny!

Top break? Is there any top break in production still?

5 rounds of .380 in 15.5 ounces? Hmm, I think I'll stick with 5 rounds of 38+p in my 17 ounce LCR357.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ruger already makes a 9mm revolver that takes circlips to load, I would like to see them make a similar revolver in .380. They should be able to make it even smaller.I do not know if it would be possible, but a top break would be nice. Does anybody else think there is a niche for one of these?
Since you asked for opinions, I believe a swing out cylinder is a stronger and better design than top break, but I'm sure there are a few top break diehards who will disagree. I doubt you will be seeing that from Ruger anytime soon, nor would I buy one.

The 380 ACP (9x17mm) Cartridge Overall Length is only 0.19" (4.8mm) shorter than 9x19mm Luger (with the case being only 2mm shorter, of course), so I doubt you will see that either.

The real "advantage" of 380 ACP over 9x19mm is not the cartridge being slightly shorter, but that it's lower energy, generally allowing simple blow-back operation in a often fixed barrel semi-auto. A more complicated and larger locked breech gun design is needed for 9x19, which must provide for movement between the barrel and frame, to allow the barrel to momentarily recoil while locked to the slide. That's the main reason 380 semi-autos are usually smaller and cheaper than 9mm semi-autos. There are exceptions, of course. None of this applies to revolvers, hence few 380 ACP revolvers.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
renny2...welcome aboard! I believe the only .380 acp currently available in a revolver format is the Taurus!

Personally, I think the 9mm or the .38 special, while just a step up in performance, would be a better round to shoot through a revolver...and both are very managable!

My wife started with a Beretta Cheetah 84 .380acp...and quickly moved up to the 9mm Glock 26! We traded the Beretta and have often wished we'd kept it! I replaced the .380 for her a year ago with a Sig Sauer P230 in stainless...she loves it!

·
Registered
671 Posts
The .380 Taurus was a dismal failure. Almost everyone who bought one has had problems. I highly doubt Ruger will make an LCR in that caliber. If anything it will be bigger like .40 S&W or .45acp. The only topbreak revolvers currently being made are the NAA mini and the Italian copies of the 1875 Schofield. I say no chance in hell will Ruger make one. If you like topbreaks find an In shape older S&W Lemonsqueezer in .38 S&W.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I don't see it happening either. To small a niche.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts