Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been impatiently waiting and the rifle finally arrived yesterday. It looks and feels great, the trigger trips at 2.3 lbs and is crisp. The shroud does have sharp machining edges so I added a piece of slip tape to the btm. I rigged it out last night with a Nikon X1000 6x24x50 with the MRAD reticle and an Anarchy bolt shroud and extended mag release. Now to load up some rounds and give it a first run. The look is a a big change from my normal LR rifles but I’m just itching to try it out
View attachment 157128

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Congratulations! That is a beauty. Enjoy it...very NICE!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Sweet! Keep us posted on how it shoots.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
They are fun to shoot and extremely accurate without modifications. What’s it chambered in?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I never got into the long range game and mostly use my rifles for hunting.

For some reason, which I can not explain, I have been drawn to this rifle since it came out. So far I have successfully fought off the urge.

@Rugersingle ................What caliber you get?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never got into the long range game and mostly use my rifles for hunting.

For some reason, which I can not explain, I have been drawn to this rifle since it came out. So far I have successfully fought off the urge.

@Rugersingle ................What caliber you get?
This one is a 308 . Like you most of my rifles are traditional hunting rigs but I too kept looking at this rig and thought...why not try it out. Most of my buddies are having a hard time with the new look but hey,,,if it shoots ,,I'm willing to give it a whirl

·
Registered
739 Posts
This one is a 308 . Like you most of my rifles are traditional hunting rigs but I too kept looking at this rig and thought...why not try it out. Most of my buddies are having a hard time with the new look but hey,,,if it shoots ,,I'm willing to give it a whirl
New look? What are your buddies used to seeing?

You'll love the rifle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's a .308. I thought long and hard about the 6.5 but decided I would keep the cost down by using what I already have.
Nothing wrong with 308. It has been getting the job done for many years. Jeff Cooper wrote an article called nothing new under the sun or something like that. 6.5 maybe better but most shooters will never have the range to see the benefits.

Congrats on the new rifle.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,661 Posts
Nothing wrong with 308. It has been getting the job done for many years. Jeff Cooper wrote an article called nothing new under the sun or something like that. 6.5 maybe better but most shooters will never have the range to see the benefits.

Congrats on the new rifle.
Yup, .308 rifle, .357 handgun, everything else is just a waste of my time! :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New look? What are your buddies used to seeing?
lol Like the tag suggests they usually see me with a #1 or some other type of single shot. A typical range day is an assortment of rifles.
In this pic theres a custom 6mm #1, Savage 6.5x284, Ruger 308 Scout and my old Sako 308 LR rifle. All pretty conventional type rifles.

·
Registered
739 Posts
lol Like the tag suggests they usually see me with a #1 or some other type of single shot. A typical range day is an assortment of rifles.
In this pic theres a custom 6mm #1, Savage 6.5x284, Ruger 308 Scout and my old Sako 308 LR rifle. All pretty conventional type rifles.
View attachment 157141 View attachment 157142
I get it now. It's definitely a lot heavier. I have a few Rem 700s and if you shoot the RPR and a 700 on the same day the 700 will feel like the butt stock is way too light.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Regarding the OP involving the RPR, its not like you're semi-locked into that caliber like one would be with a Remington 700, Howa, Tika, etc that might involve significant gunsmithing to change. When you get a barrel to swap on a RPR, get you an action wrench, torque wrench, go and no-go gauge, and some way to hold onto the rifle without damaging it.

If you don't want to do the work, it's probably quite cheap to pay a reputable gunsmith to do the swap.

Me, I'd prefer to do it myself because I could change calibers whenever I need/want and not depend on other's schedule availability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a .308. I thought long and hard about the 6.5 but decided I would keep the cost down by using what I already have.
I am in the same boat, I have an extensive reloading bench setup just for .308Win which I use to load for a TacOps Kilo 51, X-Ray-51 and Rem700 5R/AICS1.5. I'm looking at adding a RPR in 6.5mmCM but the cost of the additional dies and tooling to match my .308Win tooling setup and initial components far exceeds $1,000. This seem nuts but that 6.5CM round seems ideal to me but my .308Win loads have been working well out to 1,000 yards for years and I'm reluctant to jump to the 6.5CM as my range is only used out to 800 yards though we shoot out to 1,000 yards unofficially. Sigh...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regarding the OP involving the RPR, its not like you're semi-locked into that caliber like one would be with a Remington 700, Howa, Tika, etc that might involve significant gunsmithing to change. When you get a barrel to swap on a RPR, get you an action wrench, torque wrench, go and no-go gauge, and some way to hold onto the rifle without damaging it.

If you don't want to do the work, it's probably quite cheap to pay a reputable gunsmith to do the swap.

Me, I'd prefer to do it myself because I could change calibers whenever I need/want and not depend on other's schedule availability.
This is why I was considering the RPR in 6.5CM and a .308Win barrel. As I understand it all you need to do to switch and RPR between a 6.5CM and .308Win is swap barrels and use Go-NoGo headspace gauges as the bolt faces are the same and that the mags will work too. Owning and working on ARs I also have the usual AR armorer's tools in addition to the usual Rem700 bolt gun tools.

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
The 308 RPR Gen 1 sits in my safe right next to the 5.56 NATO (don't know why they discontinued that one) and the Rimfire Precision is also in there. You will love shooting this rifle. Only complaints I have about the full size are the stocks.....replaced them both with Magpul PRS 3's and like a whole new rifle for my old carcass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts