Ruger Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good luck on the suppressor. I have played the game a few times and these days, always seem to have one "in process." When you call the ATF to check the status, be advised the access for the customer service people has changed so all they can tell you is that it is in process. They used to tell you what stage it was in, when it went to the FBI, etc. But plan on a year. The one I have in process now, the check was cashed on 11/29/18. When I called last week, it was still in process.

On the point of this thread, nice rifle and good shooting. Good luck with handloading. I think you will find it a satisfying expansion of your shooting-related activities.
It took me 13 months to get two form 4s approved despite holding a security clearance. In fact, both my applications went to the FBI for research which took an additional 3 months to clear.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It took me 13 months to get two form 4s approved despite holding a security clearance. In fact, both my applications went to the FBI for research which took an additional 3 months to clear.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
It is a ridiculous process. This will be my 6th stamp, but I'm sure they will review it for a year anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
How do you like that grip on your rifle? I've been debating getting one that style.
I like it so far. The bottom plate adjustable or removable. I like the grip itself a lot better than the stock one. I have not set the bottom plate yet, but will likely move it up a bit so hand hand rests on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Could anyone provide feedback on the timney trigger for the RPR? The stock trigger is good, but if there is a noticeable improvement, it would be worth the money to upgrade.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
mboundy, my thoughts, “learn your trigger “. My RPR in 6.5 is bone stock out of the box, the only thing I’ve done is some good load development. Granted my factory trigger is at 1.5lb, but don’t get sucked into the modification game. Trigger control is key, dry the crap out of it.

This is a little tighter than the norm at 100yds, but I seriously doubt a different trigger would help make it any better. Anything larger I write off as “operator error”.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You'll be happy when you do and wish you'd started reloading sooner. :D
What he said and welcome to the forum, I am fond of the 308 as well and after having as much as a 4” spread depending on ammo brand. My American will shoot 3 rounds in a 3/8” cloverleaf and 5 rounds less than a inch the last two opened up due to barrel heat but these are hand loads versus standard hunting rounds off the shelf.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Could anyone provide feedback on the timney trigger for the RPR? The stock trigger is good, but if there is a noticeable improvement, it would be worth the money to upgrade.

yes i put a 2 stage timney on my 308 much better feel.. to be fair the OEM RPR trigger had done well for 5000+ rounds but was getting crotchety so the timney was worth the spend

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
yes i put a 2 stage timney on my 308 much better feel.. to be fair the OEM RPR trigger had done well for 5000+ rounds but was getting crotchety so the timney was worth the spend
Thank you. I'm going to see if I can find a great deal on black Friday on one. I know it is not necessary, but I do like s nice trigger and have come to prefer 2 stage triggers in my rifles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ended up finding a timney trigger for $190 delivered from Optics Planet. Was hoping for a better price, but that was the best I could find. Should arrive in time to try it next weekend.
I'll get to try it at the 300yd range. Im curious about how different the cold bore shot will be in the very cold weather. I'll post target picts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Just curious, but why did you choose the .308? Have you considered trying Hornady’s precision hunter line of ammo?
I don't normally shoot 5-10 round groups. Mostly because my Scout is set up for hunting and plinking, not target shooting. That said, I have had amazing accuracy results with ELD-X Precision Hunter ammunition and second Mark204's suggestion. I don't really find the ELD-X ammo to be much more expensive than good factory target ammo and it can be way less than a lot of premium hunting cartridges!

https://rugerforum.net/range-reports/371283-amazing-scout-rifle-accuracy-eld-x.html#post4301161

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hello, thank you for the reply.

The Hornady ELD-X does come highly recommended. I were I'll try out a couple boxes once I heal enough to return to the range (a few months minimum).

I've been getting the fed gold medal for $17 a box delivered, so it seems like a price vs performance winner. My new range goes to 300yds, so I should getter much better feedback on what is working for my setup.

While I'm medically out, Ive been shopping for a new scope. I find myself wanting more than 10x at 300.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
If you ever get set-up to roll your own the 168gr ELD-M’s are excellent bullets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
... While I'm medically out, Ive been shopping for a new scope. I find myself wanting more than 10x at 300.

I'm going to slightly hijack this thread... only slightly. :)

I'm glad you mentioned the scope. A lot of people think the Gunsite Scout isn't accurate, but as my link demonstrated it is! I suspect that most GSR shooters use low powered scopes and poorly support the rifle when shooting groups. The three, 200 meter groups I posted were shot with a 6-24x scope, set at around 20x. Earlier groups shot with a 1-6x were nowhere as impressive.

Although I would not recommend hyper long glass for a hunting set up, I think "long range" target work demands 10x or higher.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
mboundy, what monopod are you running? Nice looking set up!
Thank you,

It is an Accu-shot PRM BT12-QK. I like the monopod a lot. I am not affiliated with Optics Planet, but they are on sale there for < $90.

I finished the rifle by changing to a Sig Tango6 5-30x scope and adding a Sig SRD762QD Suppressor with cole-tac HTC mirage cover (not in pict).

21 - 38 of 38 Posts