Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got bought it new 3 days ago. I havent shot it yet, but I was given a box of Monarch 100 gr full brass with soft tip. When I put one in it wouldnt breach closed. So I tried a Winchester ballistic tip and it worked fine. Can anyone tell me if they or anyone they know have had problems with the Monarch bullets. I will be using Remington Core-Lokt bullets to hunt with but havent bought any in case the gun has something wrong with it.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I searched for problems with Monarch 243 ammo. It is mostly sold at academy. It may be a sign the bore needs scrubbing on your predator. It could be the throat was cut with a tool that had been sharpened one to many times. Really all anyone can do is guess. If you have a micrometer I would check to make sure the monarch ammo is in spec.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
It has been my experience, and the same for many others, that new RAR's of all variety, are a little stiff when new. My RAR took about 100 rounds to really loosen up. I had to chamber the first 20 rounds with authority. Meaning, I had to kinda man handle the bolt. The 100 gr rounds were very stiff but the 90's were not too bad, even a box of Hornady 58gr superformance was tight. Now I can chamber anything, no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have to push down with a little force. But was afraid to shoot it fearing I would no get the shell out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to say thanks. Come to find out it was the ammo. Had 2 boxes from the same lot and none would breach into the gun. But now I have some ammo that fits great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did have another question. I like shooting 100 gr or close. Out of all the ammo witch do yall prefer?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Prvi Partizan is good ammo and can be had for under $14/20. If you do buy it, buy a lot because it comes and goes fast. It's imported from Serbia and manufactured by a NATO contractor. Seems like they ship it every four months or so. It is available in 100gr and 90gr soft point.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ladner69
Welcome to the forum.
I'm a .243 fan, & am coming to like the 100gr bullets for everything. I do use the Sierra 60gr HP for varmints, but am slowly switching to 100grs for everything. I use the Hornaday bullet, the regular Spire Point but if the Rem Core Lock was available I'd sure use them.
Good luck hope you get your rifle sorted out.

·
Banned
650 Posts
You will like Prvi Partisan ammo. I shoot it in all my rifles without issue. You have most likely shot a bunch of Prvi Partisan ammo that was in a Winchester box. Most Winchester Super X ammo is manufactured by Selliers and Bellot or Prvi Partisan.

I shoot 130gr Hornady Superformance in my 270. The velocity of 270 ammo varies so much from manufacturer to manufacturer that I started hunting with Hornady Superformace to avoid surprises. PPU (Prvi Partisan) whacks a golf ball just as good as Hornady at 100 yards. 243 Win ammo is loaded at the same velocity across the board. 243 95gr Superformance is about 200 fps faster than anything else on the market. I am not sure the extra velocity is an advantage with a 243. I have seen to many 243 bullets fragment at close range.

Here are the current prices on 243 win ammo.
243 winchester ammo rifle 100 grains

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats on your new ruger american predator. Hope you have as much luck with yours as I have with mine in 6.5 creedmoor it shoots lights out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts