Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime last year I bought a Ruger AR, It has jammed more times than it has fired, I have properly cleaned and lubricated all parts of my rifle, the jam happens anytime a bullet is pushed into the chamber from either magazine or if its dropped into the barrel, Im not babying the bolt carrier in either. The round and the bolt carrier will be stuck in place very tightly. The bolt carrier doesn't go all the way forward, it leaves about a centimeter of space from being pushed all the way in like it is intended. The only way to clear the jam is to mortar my rifle.
I've isolated the fault to the upper by replacing and interchanging working pieces ( bolt carrier and lower ) from a m&p 556 ar. Still jams. And yes I have had it sent back to ruger and 3 weeks later they put a new bolt carrier in and they claim they put 20 rounds through with no jam. I have tried to replicate their success with 3 types of ammo. Federal, wolf, mal. All non corrosive. Still Jam on first load. I have spent about 4 hours in total trying different methods.
But theres only so much mortering the hands can take. Please share any helpful information you may have and spare me the dumb questions, yes ive cleaned and lubed. Yes im sure its something to do with the upper ( bolt carrier is fine, tried it in another ar) and yes I am aware it may just need to be broken in by putting rounds through it but that suggestion will not help if rifle will not fire.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Based on what you've explained, it sounds like you can smoothly cycle the action without a round chambered, but it binds up when you close the action with a round chambered.

Maybe it's just the lighting, but your photos seem to show a fouled chamber. In fact, it actually looks like you can see carbon streaked into the top of the chamber in what looks like rifling. If that is the case, then the rounds will bind up in there. Based on what you describe and what the photos appear to show, that chamber needs scrubbed with a chamber brush.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,624 Posts
I would agree the chamber may need a scrub.

Second if a round wont chamber without a magazine, just dropping a round in the chamber it could be issues with ammo. Try some .223 ammo just in case the chamber is .223 rem not 5.56, its very hard to tell without knowing who cut the chamber, ruger will like say its a 5.56 but they truly cannot tell.

Check the gas tube, if its not properly indexed when fired, the gun wont eject, tale tale sign its not aligned.

Try swapping charging handles to if thar may be the issue.

I suspect its either an ammo, or chamber issue, in particular since ammo is being nade for quantity right now not quality.
A small base reload may fix the issue if the chamber is tight. Wolff wouldnt cycle my ar's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, used chamber brush for about 20 minutes. Bore cleaner and the likes, scrubbed the life out of it. Popped a mag in and tried to chamber it. Its like it didnt go in all they way. Stuck, its an all 556 new ar with original parts from ruger, minus a chrome trigger. I've tried it with 226 just now. Still no.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ok, used chamber brush for about 20 minutes. Bore cleaner and the likes, scrubbed the life out of it. Popped a mag in and tried to chamber it. Its like it didnt go in all they way. Stuck, its an all 556 new ar with original parts from ruger, minus a chrome trigger. I've tried it with 226 just now. Still no.
It's time for some more photos. Lock the bolt back, insert a magazine, and then close the bolt using the bolt release, only, rather than by slingshotting the charging handle. When it fails to close, take some pictures of the open action, getting details of the extractor area and how the round is oriented on the end of the bolt face. If it has closed far enough forward that those areas are forward of the ejection port and cannot be viewed, puctures looking up from the bottom of the mag well will work, too. Speaking of the mag well, do send those puctures regardless of how far forward the bolt closes.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,624 Posts
Exactly as redhawk stated.
Just to add take a look at the round and inspect it for marks or scratches from chambering, may give us a clue.

Only other thing i can think of is pulling the extractor and ejector and putting in a go, no go gauge, maybe the headspace is off.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This may sound weird, but I saw it happen first hand, and did not think it could.

Remove your BCG and disassemble completely. Make sure it is clean and lubed properly and make sure that the bolt is in the carrier correctly. I used to think that the cam bolt would not fit if it was upside down but that is incorrect. If all else fails, return it to the mother ship

·
Registered
323 Posts
Once you fire the rifle does the spent brass eject normally? I would suggest that you chamber just 1 more round and then pull it out without firing, then inspecting the brass and bullet for any marks. I would check especially close on the neck and bullet (it might help to polish the entire casing & bullet before you chamber it... any marks will show up better), After you have that round I would also suggest that you do not try to chamber any more rounds at all. Mortering the rifle once in a while is ok but doing so on anything like a consistent basis is simply not good for the rifle! Off hand I would say there is a chamber problem and that it probably needs to go back to Ruger again... and again and again until they fix the problem! It could be the throat or neck area (or perhaps the bolt face is undersized?) but there is something very wrong if it won't chamber factory ammo!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Call Ruger. Explain that you are very unhappy and the rifle is still not fixed. Send it back. They will make it right.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Since the original post was 7 months ago and hasn't posted since I imagine the poster either got the problem fixed or got rid of the gun.
He ain’t been back since bubba……… :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts