Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I saw that last night. Figures, I just got a SS bearcat to do a birds head conversion on.:(

Oh well, I got a really good deal so I bet I can still get a smith to shorten the barrel and round the butt for less than the cost of this special. Will also have the barrel billboard removed at the same time.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
It looks great. It's not on Ruger's site yet, and the Lipsey's ad gives no price.

I like the standard stainless Bearcats, with EWK's stainless ejector rod housings. An inch less barrel and a rounded butt make little difference on an already small gun. Even with the button head center pin, it'll still have a shorter ejection stroke.

Plus, Lett Custom is no longer around to make round butt grips to match the ones I have now.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
That's called a "crescent head". It fits around the button head cylinder pin so the ejector moves farther. The cylinder pin has a shortened "button head" to let you move the ejector farther. When you move ejector all the way, the crescent and button heads would be side by side, against your finger.

For all this work, the ejector is still going to move 1/2 inch or so less than a regular Bearcat. Something like ejecting empty .357 out of a J-frame.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Yeah. Probably a functional necessity, but UGLY.

Wonder if it would be possible to "reverse" that head so it sorta wraps around the rod housing instead of sticking out there like a sore thumb?

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Most "shopkeeper" SAs haven't had an ejector. You pull the cylinder base pin and cylinder, and poke the empties out with the pin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My LGS is one of the largest retailers in the Southeast. I told him today to get me one of these little jewels as soon as possible. He said he would be calling Lipsey's today. He got me a Birdshead .45ACP Vaquero and a 4 3/4 inch .357 frame Flattop .45/45ACP in short order last year. I look to have a Birdshead BC about as soon as they start shipping.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
It has a strange little sickle ejector rod head. Don't really care for that.

Looks to me like that odd ejector rod head is designed to clear the cylinder pin and push back all the way to the frame.

Maybe due to the short barrel length it's necessary in order to get a full stroke of the ejector rod?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Nice, but not legal in AU.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
I'm thinking this would look great with my Single Six.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What a handy little "pocket-puffer".......I like this one......
............I wonder how much ???..............Don in SC

1 - 20 of 69 Posts