Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 66 year old who purchased my 1st handgun in June of this year. Did so because my son wanted me to get a gun so I could join him shooting. He owns a Springfield 9mm. Well, for my first gun, I bought an S&W Governor because (1) wanted a revolver and (2) wanted big bore (3) and, of course, the Governor shoots 410 as well (just didn't dig the Judges). Fell in love with shooting my Governor but 45 ammo costs were hurting me. Decided to get a 22 and wanted a semi-auto my 2nd time around. Chose the SR22 because looks good, supposedly reliable, and right price. Went shooting the SR22 for the first time today. Both my son and I are quite taken with the gun. My son is now jealous. At first I was concerned. Had purchased 2 types of ammo, Federal lead and jacketed. 1st mag of Federal jacketed shot just fine. 2nd mag of Federal lead jammed. 3rd mag of Federal lead jammed. My son noticed slide not going all the way back. Stripped the gun and oiled it with some of my son's gun oil. Apparently, being new to autos, I didn't realize the importance of proper oiling. I had applied an oil/cleaner that was not appropriate. Ater my son properly oiled the gun, it was shoot-o-matic. We took turns shooting. I would shoot and while loading my mag he would shoot with the 2nd mag and then back to me. Boy did we blast away. No jams. 2 misfires (we blame the ammo) out of about 250+ rounds shooting both the Federal lead and Federal jacketed and some CCI mini-mags my son had purchased. My son loved being able to rapid fire, something he won't do with his 9mm because of ammo costs.
This little gun is meeting all my expectations and more. Whooooopy!
I might add that after I purchased the gun, I dry fired it and was concerned with the trigger. DA gritty, stacky, and overly heavy...SA somewhat the same but not as heavy. Nowhere as smooth as my Governor.
However, shooting the gun today was a joy. Shot in SA only and felt just great. After returning home and cleaning did some more dry firing and noticed that trigger is getting smoother and lighter.
I am sooooo glad I purchased the SR22 as my 2nd gun. As a matter of fact, I had designs for a 3rd gun, but now think it may a long time before I will desire #3. I also think my Governor is now going to have to take a back seat to the SR22....it's just so fun to shoot.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
welcome from nevada! enjoy the forum and your ruger! can't get much more fun for the price than .22!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Totally agree ammo is a bit up there for 9mm as well which I found out with my SR9 at an average of 30 cents/round while a 22LR goes for an avg of 4 cents/round. Both are great to shoot but the SR22 is more fun along with my 10/22.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
That's great news! I hope you have many years of shooting.

Make sure you don't over lube. The manual should be quite specific. (RTFM)

Uses light gun oil only. .22 ammo fires so dirty that excessive oil will only serve to make a gunky mess that will cause functional problems, hold dirt and cause premature wear.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum - from the state of West Virginia.

I have handguns in .45acp, .45lc, .40, 9mm, .38, etc, but find myself shooting mostly .22 mainly due to the inexpensive nature of .22 ammo.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
17,444 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome Vancouver here to. Glad your enjoying the new hobby.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
giday bloke welcome from down under a good mob here.

·
The Shooterologist
3,992 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
RHG ... Welcome from SW Ohio ... Glad to have you aboard!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Welcome to RF.net...and for making your grandson happy that his grandfather would care to join him in his pasttime!

A friend bought an SR22 last April...and quickly fell in love with her new gun! I've shot it a few times and absolutely LOVED it's accuracy and performance! This past summer, when the midwest had it's scorching heat wave...there were many days she carried it in lieu of her Kimber...it was just lighter and didn't reflect heat back causing a 'hot spot'!

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Welcome from the Central Coast of California.

·
The Original Magic Man
744 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Stone Mountain Georgia

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.