Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a RAR 5.56 Ranch today at Cabala's after reading a ton of online tests/reviews. I sold my AR last year but kept all my reloading stuff and once I discovered this neat little bolt gun I had to get one ! Still pondering what to put on for a scope but leaning towards the Nikon 3x32 P compact because of it's size and value/price point. I'm hoping it can live up to all the hype :D

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congratulations on the new RAR. Be sure to follow up with a range report once you get the optics sorted out. Sounds like an interesting rifle.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Congrats on the new RAR Ranch. Interested to hear how it shoots.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've actually been considering something with a bit more power would be more appropriate than a fixed 3 power. I really don't see myself trying any targets out beyond 200-250 yards so I'm still on the fence in regard to optics.

·
Registered
780 Posts
2-7 gives you good practical field magnification and light weight for up close varmints and running yotes.

3-9 is the best compromise magnification with 3 being pretty good for up close work and 9 being a good magnification for distance

When you get to the 4-12s with $200-300 scopes it is hard to resolve on something 25-35 yards out.

Also depending on your length of pull a 4-12 can be a problem because of the change of eye relief at the opposite ends of the settings.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The 2-7 is a very nice range for the gun you are talking about and keeps it nice, light and trim. A leupold 2-7 ultralight in some decent rings and bases would be a nice set up and you can get it into low mounts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leupold makes great stuff but they're kinda pricey (on a budget LOL). I can get a Burris Fullfield II 2x7 BDC and Warne rings installed and boresighted at just over $200, which is about my max budget at the moment. Reality sucks sometimes LOL.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If your eyes are good and young it doesn't matter as much. Maybe look for a Vortex or a Prostaff if you are on a budget.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually looking hard at a Redfield Revolution 2-7x. US-made (Leupold owned) and $10 more than the Chinese made Burris. Seems fitting for a Ruger...

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
RAR 5.56

I bought one in July and love it. The Nikon 2-7 pro staff seems to be perfect for it.:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad to hear my scope selection has some users with positive feedback here ! Just feels "right". I have an e-mail into Ruger asking about the size or their Leupold "American" medium rings so I can burn up my 20% coupon hopefully, although at $19.99 they aren't breaking the bank. Moving forward...

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is a great rifle and mine is ,ore accurate that my Ruger M77 in .223.

I have a Leopold VX-HOG 1x4 x20mm. Plenty of scope for this rifle and a very handy package.
My opinion is this rifle is designed to be a quick handling light package and the smaller the scope the better.
On my ranch, the coyotes don't give you a lot of time to get a shot off when you happen to run up on one.
These are priced at about $230, good price on a Leopold.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More accurate than M77 makes me happy for sure. I just ordered Leupold rings from Ruger for it, whopping $19.95. Still 'eyeing' scopes but the Redfield Revolution is on sale at Cabela's and seems like a no-brainer. The Bushnell AR-series with the external target turrets is another one I'm 'scoping' out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Installed RRA muzzle brake today, which may (or not) help with accuracy. Still undecided on a scope but the Burris has a calibrated reticle for 16" barrel with chart for 4 different bullet weights from 55gr to 77gr which is pretty slick. I like the Redfield Rev also but it calls for a 200 yd zero (I'd prefer 100yd) and not sure about the calibration at distance. The Nikon P223 is nice but reviewers slam Nikon's customer service pretty hard on 2 websites. What to do...

I agree that a scope on this rifle should be "trim" rather than "big" and I doubt I'll be shooting past 250yds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
More accurate than M77 makes me happy for sure. I just ordered Leupold rings from Ruger for it, whopping $19.95. Still 'eyeing' scopes but the Redfield Revolution is on sale at Cabela's and seems like a no-brainer. The Bushnell AR-series with the external target turrets is another one I'm 'scoping' out.
I went with the Bushnell AR 4.5-18x40mm. It's a little large, but I like the magnification.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts