Ruger Forum banner

New Ruger Single Six Issues

12K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Dustythedog 
#1 ·
Just picked up a new Ruger Single six, 6.5" barrel earlier today.

I Spent the afternoon firing about 200 rounds through it, and I think I may have a problem...

All of the shooting I have done with it so far has been at 15 yards.

Out of the box, at 15 yards it was shooting about 4 inches to the left, and 4 inches high. The elevation was corrected fairly easily, the windage however is giving me issues. I had to crank the rear sight pretty far to the right in order to point of aim at 15 yards. As a matter of fact it is so far to the right the aim just does not seem natural.

Also, in terms of groupings, I think I have gotten better groups with a shotgun. Ive tried different ammo (federal match, federal bulk, remington, aguila) and the groups are all terrible. As a comparison, all those ammo brands give me great groupings out of my Ruger semi autos.

Suggestions? Do I need to send this back to ruger? the pics below show how far Ive had to crank the site to get the correct windage. It seems like if I crank the windage screw any further it will fall out.

See less See more
#3 ·
I understand what you are saying, heard it before actually and in that case it turned out to be the gun also....however I can shoot my mark II' mark III, my single action 45, double action 44 magnum, 1911's, and my 9 mm at that distance (and greater ) without complaining so I am reasonably confident that it is not the shooter.

Plus, that does not explain why I have had to crank the windage so far to the right in order to get this to shoot at point of aim.

Lastly, getting another shooter who is any good get behind this is simply not going to happen anytime soon.

#4 ·
I have heard of a situation where the barrel was not inserted in the frame exactly straight. I don't know if the manufacturer corrected the situation. This would be highly unlikely given the quality control at the quality manufacturers now days, but I supposed it could happen. Personally I'd call Ruger and discuss the problem with them - see what they would do.

#5 · (Edited)
I recently bought a Single Ten, and the sights did not have to be moved much off center to get the windage and elevation set.

However I also notice the gun is quite unforgiving of less than perfect trigger control.
When I miss the mark it's my fault, not the gun. It is a great training aid, forcing me to slow down and do everything right.

Currently, I can shoot my 1976 vintage Mark I more accurately than the Single Ten.

#7 ·
I assume you were shooting from a rest to sight in. Given that you are an experienced pistol shooter, I'd at least give Ruger a call and see what they have to say. I would not be comfortable being off that much at that distance, either, and the gun should certainly group better than that at 15 yards. Just seems a bit suspicious.

#8 ·
Yup...tried it with sandbags and offhand, results were the same..

Im going out later today to pick up some different ammo, CCI I guess and some magnum rounds and than I will give it another try.

I am certainly open to it not being the gun, but I've never been this far off with a handgun in my life.

#9 ·
I had a SR9 that was similar to that. Best I could get was within an 8" circle at 10 yards. I put in a Ghost link and did a trigger job, then I could get within a 6" circle. With my Springfield XDm I could take out the bulls eye with one mag. I got so frustrated with it I traded it for a SP101. I think that sometimes you get a 5 O'clock Friday product that simply won't function properly no matter what you do to it.

#20 ·
I also had SR9c that shot a very large group and always to the left. Since I was shooting my other guns much better I felt it had to be something wrong with the gun. Ruger had it picked up and returned in about a week and I received it back the day before Thanksgiving. They changed the barrel and now it shoots like it should.

#11 ·
just looked at my gun, sight is to the right but not maxed out.was my great uncles gun from late 70's.he only used magnums in it, after he passed it on to me i know why.LR dont shoot very well,soup cans @10 yrds. is all its good for. mags. shoot pretty good but still not a target gun

#13 ·
When I began the transition form DA revolvers and semiautos to single actions, I initially had to adjust my rear sights all the way to the right to get on target. As time went on I learned that in order to shoot good groups, I had to learn to pull the single action triggers with just the tip of my index finger.

Once I did that, my groups shrank tremendously, but they also moved way to the right causing me to have to move the rear leaves back to center for proper sght in. May not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Let someone else shoot it!

#14 ·
Is the barrel canted ? That would cause your rear sight to have to be jacked to one side or the other. My new Stainless Single Six had to go back to Ruger because the Long Rifle cylinder would bind. It wasnt very accurate either. When it came back, the binding was fixed, and the gun is now SUPURBLY ACCURATE. I dont know what they did, because its the same barrel. Send it back.

#17 ·
Cant tell by the pics but the barrel may be canted. If so, it seems to me the ejector rod housing would appear out of square? with the frame. Should be able to tell by looking straight on at the muzzle. Make absolutely sure its unloaded-better yet, take out the cylinder. Right after that, send those pics and a target to Ruger CS and tell them what you told here. Good Luck

#22 · (Edited)
Got my Lipsey's Single Six back from Ruger today. Here's what they did...
replaced barrel, cylinder latch, pawl and a new mag cylinder.
They also sent a target shot at 15 yards with both 22lr and 22mag. Still shooting an inch to the left but, at least the rear sight is now centered. Beats 4" at 7yds anyday.
I'm happy. Just don't understand how it got pass QC in the first place. And, it's not the only one. Ruger may be slipping.

Now, out to the backyard to shoot it.

#25 ·
I've experienced some guns shooting way off when experimenting with different reloads in centerfires. Being a "tinkering" type of person I fixed that problem by carefully filing the notch in the rear sight to adjust. In other words, if the gun is shooting to the right file the left side of the rear sight notch, etc. Be careful though as a little filing goes a long way and you can't put it back! That being said, I would still contact Ruger and see what they suggest. Good luck!

#26 ·
Single Six Cocking Problem

I bought my Ruger Single Six about three months ago and in in the beginning it was great but after about 500 rounds the hammer started getting hard to pull back. The problem was intermittent at first and would straighten out and pull normally for awhile and then tight again. This continued awhile and then the hammer would not pull back at all even with cylinder removed. It felt like it was hitting something. I called customer service to report the issue. I spoke to Charlotte and she was super helpful and accommodating. She spoke to a tech while I was on the phone and he advised to send the gun in so he could have a look. Charlotte issued a shipping label via email and I sent the gun to Ruger. Turnaround was super fast and the gun is working great again. Tech said hammer was defective and was replaced. Although the problem sucked a bit in the beginning, the outcome was good and their customer service is super, the single Six is really fun to shoot and all is well. The only small downside to this gun are the sights. They are black and when shooting at a dark target can be challenging. I painted the edge of the front site florescent orange and the sides of the rear site bright white and that fixed the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.