Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first ever pistol was a brand new Old Model Single Six with fixed sights (yes, I am that old). My big brother bought it for me on my 18th birthday, the age with which it was legal for me to carry a handgun. It was the very pistol I used to teach myself the basics of handgun shooting and the pistol that I used to immerse myself in the then rapidly growing sport of handgun hunting. With that Ruger Single Six, I took many squirrels and rabbits and given that I had a knack for shooting a pistol, I ws assigned the duty of accompanying my brother on his trapline and was assigned shooting duties when going **** hunting with a neighbor.

Over the years, I had many Single Sixes, all of which came and went as the budget allowed. Recently, though, I've become a DA revolver fan. Then, over the summer, we acquired a Bisley Single Six. The Bisley SS awakened may memories, but my husband has been hogging it too much, so recently, when I saw a new Stainless Single Six in our local gunshop for sale, I couldn't resist. I needed a Single Six of my own. :)

This particular gun impressed me with the tightness of its lockup and its trigger, though I did a Poor Boy on the trigger to lighten it more. Just happened to have a Williams Firesight set in the parts drawer, so added it to my new SS and headed to the range.

As for accuracy, this gun has proven true to the legacy of all the great Single Sixes I have owned over the years. Average group size from a rest at 25 yards has been consistently inch and a half with a wide variety of ammo, right where all my Single Sixes have done. However, with match ammo, I've managed to squeeze that down to an inch and even less on occasion.

Shot just this afternoon.

I consider this to be outstanding for a stock 22 revolver. It says a lot about the machining and precision Ruger is putting into these new guns. In fact, this Single Six loses very little, if anything, to our classic S&W Model 17s.

One aspect that especially appeals to me about the Single Six is how easily I can shoot them from a standing position without a rest. For whatever reason, I've always found shooting SA revolvers from a rest to be less than ideal, but when I shoot them the way they were meant to be shoot - from a standing position - I actually find I shoot them better than some of our beloved DA revolvers. My husband does, too.

Here's some of my recent targets.

And, yes, the 22 mag shoots, too.

They say you can't go home, again, but shooting this new Single Six proves that one to be wrong. Been a long, long time since I've enjoyed shooting a revolver as much as this one. Long live the Single Six. :)

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
Congratulations on getting another Single Six. I need to try out a set of those Williams.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,547 Posts
Congrats!
I need to get me a stainless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New SS 6

Thanks for the review...

On 9/16 I pick up new my SS single 6, 5.5 barrel. I ordered green Williams Fire Sites and they will be installed when I pick it up. 1st single action I have ever owned. Spent much time looking at 22 hand guns and decided that this was the best arrangement to go in the armory.

Down to only 2 combination calibers 22lr/mag and 38/357 in short and long guns.

I have been slowing building ammo inventory, buying on the dips, sort of cost averaging.

Will get the range in a week or so and will use the same parameters you used and see what the results are and will post.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Great review and congrats on getting a new old friend.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Every shooter should own a Single Six. They are absolutely one of the greatest handguns ever made. Period.

I bet your gonna miss those 4 extra holes, though... remember...?

WHAT were you thinking when you sold your Single Ten...? :eek: :confused:

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I find this so interesting because my wife, both my daughters, and my 13-year old granddaughter simple love my single action .22. It is a Heritage, not a Ruger, but regardless, they all love it and shoot it so much better than either I or my son-in-law do. And that is fine with me, because I just enjoy the time spent with them when we go shooting. Thanks for sharing your story and memories. Now I may have to get them a Ruger Single Six!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congratulations on the new Single Six Ncg. Nice back story and great shooting as always. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Never had much interest in a SA revolver, but then I started reading a little too much about them on this forum. Picked up a nice 80's stainless with both cylinders a while back at the LGS. Finally found some 22 mag at Cabelas Friday so had to go shoot some of that yesterday. The Single Six definitely is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Very nice !
I have a stainless 5.5, yours looks like a 6.5, always loved the look of the 6.5. I agree they shoot great off hand. The stainless gun has a steel grip frame, unlike the blued with the aluminum grip frame. I think the added weight of the steel grip frame on the stainless gives the gun a really nice balance, so it sits nicely in your hands, to me anyway.

That one looks like a keeper.

If you are comfortable working on your own guns, this is a nice little trigger spring mod. I have done it to all my Ruger single actions, it works.

Link

Adjusting Ruger single action trigger springs

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, folks.

Teacher, as I said, these are not that easy to shoot from a rest, so experiment with how you shoot it that way until you find what works best for you. The SS really shines, though, when you shoot it standing.

Web, I have a sneaking suspicion there will be another ST in my future, maybe even a Single 9. Darn things, anyway ... :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
My first handgun was a 5.5" Single Six back in '87 or '88; I still have it and it still shoots. I added a 9-1/2" barrel one a couple of years ago. That one needs a scope, just for squirrels and rabbits.

I had forgotten how much I like the single six (and .22s in general) until a recent range outing. Now I'm thinking of a second 5-1/2" or 6-1/2" barrel one for general use.

Let me try to shoot 25 yard groups and compare them to yours. Werecthise with open sights?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, with open sights, though I also use red dots and even scopes for some of my offhand shooting with other guns. Just prefer not to scope the Single Sixes, though I have in the past.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice !
I have a stainless 5.5, yours looks like a 6.5, always loved the look of the 6.5. I agree they shoot great off hand. The stainless gun has a steel grip frame, unlike the blued with the aluminum grip frame. I think the added weight of the steel grip frame on the stainless gives the gun a really nice balance, so it sits nicely in your hands, to me anyway.

That one looks like a keeper.

If you are comfortable working on your own guns, this is a nice little trigger spring mod. I have done it to all my Ruger single actions, it works.

Link

Adjusting Ruger single action trigger springs
Thanks. I have a feeling I will be adding more Ruger SAs to the collection, now. :)

Also helps that my husband loves shooting our Bisley SS and our new one in stainless. Believe it or not, he actually shoots them as well as our S&W Model 17s and that is saying something.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You are welcome !

Funny, Not long ago I saw a (used in nice shape) single six at a local gun shop, blued with a 6.5 barrel. I was so tempted to buy it !

They are such great shooters.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Congratulations on getting the Single Six.

I still have my first Single Six I received new back in 1957 when I was 17. I remember I was in the hospital under an oxygen tent with a respiratory problem just before Thanksgiving and my folks brought it to me in a small turkey themed flower arrangement out in the open and plain view of the hospital staff. They didn't leave it in my hospital room but can you imagine such an act now days?

The old revolver is the one in the middle of the image below showing its age and wear with many happy memories for me:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts